Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just returned from a pleasant ride out for the day. About 100 yards from home I noticed that the near side footrest had suddenly become very slippery. I looked down to see my leathers and boot covered in water!
I immediately killed the engine and rolled onto my drive.
The bottom hose going into the water pump had blown off with the hose clip still in place.
I replaced it, checked it was tight and re-filled the resevoir.
The bike didn't go over 110 degrees C so all should be OK.

I re-started it and let it idle for a couple of minutes. The High Temperature warning came on with the temperature readout flashing - - - . The fans kicked in so I stopped the bike.
The hose that blew off was scalding hot, the larger hose going to the radiator was stone cold and so was the radiator so my money is on water pump failure. It's still under warranty so I'll be ringing Riders Cardiff first thing in the morning to get it recovered to them.

I just hope that it hasn't got hot enough to cook the engine and do any damage although I'm pretty sure in my mind that it hasn't.

Bloody typical, we get one nice day and the bike lets me down. :mad:

God knows what would have happened if that hose had blown off just before I tipped the bike into that last roundabout at 70-odd MPH, it covered the back of the bike in coolant.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Could just be an air lock in the system if you have refilled it.

Not good thing to happen but fortunate that it happened so close to home.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Regardless, something caused that hose to blow off so I'm getting it recovered to Riders Cardiff tomorrow, I'm not going to risk riding it there and possible damaging the engine.

·
Premium Member
12,295 Posts
Any mods to the water pump cover?
there were issues about rads and such...
If you search....

·
Registered
805 Posts
[warning... MSTD1200 anecdote approching]

I had a similar incident.
I had just riden out to the main dealer here in Sydney as my bike was booked in for a 'saftey check' and some minor wear and tear work. As I wound my way there through the shitty morning traffic, I noted the occasional waft of coolant.

Being in a mess of stop start traffic and almost at the end of my journey, I just through is was the car next to me.

A few minutes later I pulled up on the driveway of the dealer, and pretty much the whole radiator spewed out onto the ground. It all came from 'up high' somwhere. I couldn't find the actual leak. The dealer promptly fixed it under warranty, but I never found out what caused it ....

Dealer just kept saying "yes, the radiator failed.. Some of them do that" ...

Cheers,
Witto.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
So the results are in. All of the N/S Jubilee clips weren't "tight enough". They've drained and re-filled the coolant then let the bike idle for almost an hour. They've then taken it for a decent test ride and it behaved faultlessly. So, it may be worth checking your jubilee clips for tightness just in case.
It doesn't explain the cold radiator or upper waterpump pipe unless all the water had gone out of them but I'll pick it up this week and monitor it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks Tripletrouble, gonna check mine tonight, as I got a big ride coming next week. Funny, I check torque on things regularly....never thought to check those hose clamps, cant say I have on any bike I've had.
Great heads up, thanks again!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I've managed to get a couple of hundred miles on it since collecting it and it's been faultless.; So, either the dealer found something and had the parts to do it or it really was just a loose hose.
Either way I'm happy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts