Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came out to the parking lot after work and thought my bike seemed to be leaning a bit further than normal. I get over to it and see this. (Warning, crappy cell phone pic)

My kickstand buried a good half inch in the ground. It was 115 here today. Time to start packing the trusty aluminum plate again....

Lucky this time, the guy in the next cube over had his CBR1000 parked too close for comfort today. Neither of us would've been too happy.

Attachments

·
Registered
217 Posts
eeewwwww....ya, a close one for sure....had that happen in TX alot, with the heat out in AZ, I'ld B careful....that asphalt doesn't look like it's packed real tightly anyway...looks loosely put together with alot of sand....B careful brother! Close call!

·
Premium Member
8,752 Posts
I've got one of those, but in black. Took it with me this past weekend on a motorcycle camping trip, whether I thought I needed it or not. I learned my lesson when my 916 fell over like a rock up in the mountains during a "swim stop". It was a very expensive drop, you would think I just crashed it based on the damage. Figure 450 lbs falling over like a free fall, alot can happen even from that short distance. My fall wasn't because of hot asphalt, it was because there was a "cave" a couple inches under the surface. The surface simply collapsed.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
A cheap alternative is a 2 recptical electrical box cover. Home Depot or Lowe's for 79¢, besides, who'd steal one of those? Over time they rust and blend in with the parking lot and it doesn't look like a Sturgis "beer garden" .......

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tips guys, but I've got it covered. I've got a scrap piece of 1/4" aluminum from the machine shop about 3"x6" I'd been using for a couple years when I parked on dirt. I stopped carrying it when I got the Monster due to the PITA that underseat storage is on that thing (i.e., put it in the tool compartment, or risk losing it). Now it's back in my backpack, along with the flat repair kit. Definitely one thing I miss about the ZX-7, actual underseat storage....

·
Registered
27 Posts
kickstand tips

one thing I did was to put a 5' string on mine kickstand pad....that way you can sit on the bike and pull it up without having to put the bike back on the stand in the soft asphault. Wind it up and stick it back in your pocket and your on your way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts