Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys was changing my chain and sprockets on my st2 this weekend.
I got a ton of crud ( humongus amount ) where the front sprocket his from over lubrication even my center stand is almost entirely covered of it.

I do get it off ? its pretty hard must haved been there for at least a couple of years from previous owner.The thing is, i don't want to scrape it and then scratches the paint on the case and centerstand.

Any tricks? like sprays or something? :confused:

Thanks for any advice

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
I have always used kerosene to clean my chain and sprockets.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
WD40 and a rag. Practically dissolves it. Simple Green is bad for aluminum if you leave it on for any time.

·
Senior Italophile
867 Posts
WD40 and a rag. Practically dissolves it. Simple Green is bad for aluminum if you leave it on for any time.
+1
Simple green is highly corrosive to aluminum. especially on Ergal which is an aluminum alloy that the Italians love to use. Lube, a rag, and elbow grease works great! Use WD-40 sparingly (spray it on a rag) as it is a great degreaser but it can damage the rubber o-rings in the chain links.

·
7,733 Posts
Pressure washer.

Tom
I won't take a pressure washer within 50 feet of my bike to clean it, let alone spray in and around the *countershaft bearing,* or any bearing for that matter. :eek:

No substitute for elbow grease sometimes. :)

·
Senior Italophile
867 Posts
I won't take a pressure washer within 50 feet of my bike to clean it, let alone spray in and around the *countershaft bearing,* or any bearing for that matter. :eek:

No substitute for elbow grease sometimes. :)
I think he was joking :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Toothbrush, rags, kerosense, mineral spirits, or parafin (lamp oil) and a little elbow grease will wash it away like new.

·
Registered
222 Posts
$2 can of engine degreaser from Wal-Mart. Just be prepared to re-clean everything again after your first post-cleaning ride (inside of swingarm, etc.)

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I used a narrow puddy knife to get the gobs of muck out of that spot, you could use a flat bladed screwdriver as well. I then used a can and a half of chain cleaner to get down to clean metal.

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
And yet, one does hear stories of peeps dealing with problems after washing their bikes with pressurised water. :)
I would also agree that a PW can do enormous damage if used carelessly , especially around seals/electrics (even have to be careful with a normal hose but at least that wont force water behind a seal)
I use Parafin for ckleaning all the crud off alongwith a paint brush kept for the job and a final clean with a cloth - Sometimes the old ways are best LOL

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I went only with a rag and SOS pad and lots and lots of WD 40.
It came out pretty good.
Now after installing my new front sprocket on, i was wondering what the torque setting is on those botls holding the sprocket in front?
Anyone has the good nubmers for that?
thanks

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the info, for torque settings

Actually the crud was already there when i bought the bike.
Never had the courage to go in there and take it out.But since i was changing the chain in sprockets , decided to get it done once and for all.

But i will probably use teflon lube this year, was using chainwax on both my bikes up until now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts