Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just marked the classified ad for my 2007 GT1000 "Sold" and with that comes the end of an era in my life - an era that many here contributed to. And for that I thank you.

I began riding in 1967, and although I had a thing for Ducatis from almost the beginning, I did not have the joy of actually owning one until 1994 when my wife Jan gave me a brand spankin' new 1993 'left over' 900SS as an anniversary gift.

That bike fundamentally changed my life -- first via the many local friends I met -- friends that introduced me to the joys of track days and shared with me many of their favorite sport biking roads. Then later by my involv,ment with DUC (Ducatis Unlimited Connection) and then being invited to be a part of the Ducati "family" in Bologna as a regular contributor/columnist to/for Ducati.com's "Ducati World" as well as several printed publications.

Maybe the most exciting part of all of this was becoming friends with Pierre Terblanche and being solicited by him to help move his newest dream project forward -- those bikes that eventually became the Sport Classics.

Thus selling mine is a big, big deal. As had been this joyous time of ownership.

I'll not be disappearing from Ducati.ms. Indeed I'll not be totally disappearing from the Sport Classic forum. I have too many friends here and too much emotionally invested in these machines. But my participation will now, I expect, be focused primarily on the Super Sport forum as I get that `93 back on the road.

Thanks again all!

-don

·
Registered
110 Posts
very cool sir! as long as youre still riding i think that is what really matters, and thank you as well for all the input you have provided us with.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Right on Brother! Ton Up! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you Don -- and an introduction of sorts

Hello all --

I am the lucky fellow who will be the next owner of the `07 GT1000 "Sommessa Donna" (Quiet Lady). Will be traveling to Southern NH later in October to pick up the machine and truly looking forward to meeting Don in person and spending a little time there. I'm certain there will be questions and queries which will arise -- this forum seems like a tremendous resource for both technical / practical knowledge and support. It's nice to join you all!

·
Registered
849 Posts
Congrats Don and Mel.

Don, I enjoyed your insight and reflections over the years...especially at the start of this sub forum when you were a bit more vocal. I hope you don't check out and you remain a presence here.

Cheers to you both.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Really Don? Really?!

Just go ahead and get a Paul Smart like you've always wanted and hang around awhile longer ;)

J/J

Please don't go far! You're very much loved for your stories/wisdom.

Chin chin,

Tmnstr

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
366 Posts
Glad to hear you'll still be on two wheels, just not on our's anymore. Have fun and thank you for the past advise. Ride hard but ride safe.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Farewell Don,
I always enjoyed reading your posts.
It was a place where one could shelter from the world of bling & go faster modifications.
Best of luck in getting your 900ss back on the road.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Hey Don... You'll always be a Sportclassicci whether you own your GT or not.
(esp with those PTB connections...)

Good luck with the SS, and post up some pics when she's done.

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I truly appreciate all the kind comments. This forum, whatever I ride, will in my heart remain home. I've been web-involved on many levels over the years, but in truth I have never known a better bunch of guys (yes, and a few great gals too!) than here.

For those surprised that I was willing to sell my beloved GT1000 a few words as to 'why'... In short because my life is, indeed has been, moving on. As some of you know I had an on-the-job injury a year and a half ago that required surgery to remedy. The injury came about doing a little nothing and revealed a deterioration in my shoulder that had been developing for some time. My back and neck also were effected. Some level of pain is now constant.

Ho hum. 'tis life. No biggie. I can still do the things I love the most -- thinking, reading, talking, listening to, writing and making music. Yes, and riding motorcycles. - Just for shorter periods of time and on some days more than others. Hey, I'm almost 67, have never been an athlete or a particularly physical person (unless music making and love making count). ;)

In the pilot episode (never aired, but available on the blu ray disc) for the BBC show "Sherlock" Sherlock Holmes makes the point that "The brain is everything. The rest is just transportation." I love that line! It epitomizes my entire philosophy of life. One that I fear has shown itself to some people's discomfort here more than once. All I'd add to S.H.'s pithy wisdom is that if 'the rest is transportation' than he really should ride a Ducati and do it right. :D

What this means for me, as I now approach (finally! Yea!) my "retirement" is that I can finally live the life I was born to live. The life of the mind. A life doing what I love. Thus the several projects that I have written about over the past months on the Chit Chat forum - the building of my library loft. The sculpting (literally) of my acreage to make the rolling hills that I (and particularly my wife, Jan, who has been the master sculptor) envisioned for the years we have lived here. The completion of my home theater and music-making room. The setting up of some small gardens, fountains and the like, to make the view from our extensive porch the little piece of paradise we always dreamed of it being.

And motorcycles? Well I've been riding since `67. Jan and I only got a car after my son was born. So yes, motorcycles will always be a part of "life" to me. And there is no bike more lovely to my jaded eyes than my `93 900SS so in the end that is the one that is 'the keeper.'

It now sits in the bike shed along with my wife's sassy little Ninjetta. The GT1000 now has a reserved place in my main garage next to my equally beloved `77 Fiat Spider -- to be kept on a battery charger, dust free, and in as pristine a condition as possible awaiting the introduction to her new lover.

I enjoy looking at her every time I enter the garage. I rejoice to know that her new owner loves her as much as I and plans to enjoy far greater adventures with her than she and I ever did. (I'll let Mel tell you all about those in his own good time) :)

I again thank all of you for sharing your friendship, knowledge, wisdom and enthusiasm for these past six years.

Sports Classic rock!

The Ducati.ms Sports Classic Forum rocks!

:) :) :) :)

-don

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Love that SS... I have two friends with Superlight FEs (silver) and both have grown on me enough that if I got another bike to sit with the Zed and SCs it might well be one of these. Great for track days too.

·
Official Retired Person
7,522 Posts
Good luck, Don. I hope everything works out well for you. I can't say that I'll be as graceful when my time comes to curtail my riding but I should take your example, be grateful for everything I do have and carry on.

Good to know that you will stay a member here and write something interesting for us once in a while. Your stories have been and will continue to be, very enjoyable.

Thanks, Neal.

·
Premium Member
12,416 Posts
Trader!!! Quitter!!!
Like Wayne Gretzkey and Terry Fox!!!

(A couple of Canadian Legends)

Yes I am Being an Idiot....

Time marches on , And we make way for the younger generation to take our place..
You are a lucky man to have enjoyed the bikes and rides, Never take time for granted , use it the best way you can , every day.

A new page or chapter in your life , One has to live with it, What you were dealt, Look ahead and be thankful for the fond memories, that you have because that is alll you get...

One still gets enjoyment just owning and participating in the sport, Lifestyle and forum which you have contributed to with much thought provoking content...

We all can get aches and pains that are at varying levels that alter our plans...
The trick is to adjust and do what you can at a level that is acceptable to you at that time...

I can't see you giving up, and look forward to following you and your posts around...

Enjoy your time as you see fit ...SPOIL yourself ...

Take care, and enjoy the new project/gameplan...:D:D:D

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Thanks for your contribution to the Sportclassic banter over the years Don.

All the best.

Rob

1 - 20 of 26 Posts