Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, still waiting for my left fairing to be repaired from my "drop" last week so I have had time to get to know my first Ducati! (I don't want to re-tell my horror story after only owning the bike ten minutes sorry. :() I noticed the bike ran like crap after getting back from Los Angeles. Searching the forum I found a wealth of information to help me save $$$$ by not taking the bike to the dealer. Hopefully this will help others.

My 900 SP would not idle and would backfire after turning off the choke. I went thru a process of elilmination and finally did what I was putting off. I pulled the Mikunis out and took them apart. The internals were still in good shape (floats/jets etc) so I didn't see any reason to do a full rebuild. I did however inspect all the jets and here is what I found. Both needles had varnish all over their tips. "Choke" jet for front cylinder was almost completely blocked with this yellow residue. (rust?) Both pilot jets also had this crude in them. The back cylinder "main" jet was completely clogged up! Some copper wire and carb cleaner later all jets were unclogged and clean! I can't believe the bike ran at all! the tank filter was clean but replaced it anyway. No rust in the tank BTW. The bike did sit for four months before I bought her.

So turns out one of the suggestions from a member in a past thread was correct. After dropping the bike sediment at the bottom of the floats was stirred up and lodged into the jets. I changed the plugs to NGKs and and sync the carbs! ( which was another forum contribution) She started right up with the first try and is running perfectly! THE SEARCH BOX IS YOUR FRIEND! Now I just have to get my fairing to I can ride her finally! Thanks to everyone! Fairing (with required turn signal) should be done Friday, just in time for the weekend! :D

·
Registered
143 Posts
I could not agree more :)

The "marque specific" sites are mine of information for anyone who has a problem and this site is no exception. The guys are always more than willing to offer help & advice. I have solved many a problem without even having to post a question because whatever the problem there is always someone who has "been there, done that and got the t-shirt" and has happily shared the experience.

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
She started right up with the first try and is running perfectly! THE SEARCH BOX IS YOUR FRIEND!

great, that you did all this alone, and the bike
is running well now. :cool:
that yellow stuff is likely just fuel remains,
after the liquid part has escaped through
the carb vents.

have fun on the weekend then, do not drop it again. :cool:

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
great, that you did all this alone, and the bike
is running well now. :cool:
that yellow stuff is likely just fuel remains,
after the liquid part has escaped through
the carb vents.

have fun on the weekend then, do not drop it again. :cool:
NOT looking before putting my foot down and not compensating for the bike's non-existent turning radius are mistakes I will never repeat! :D

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I could not agree more :)

The "marque specific" sites are mine of information for anyone who has a problem and this site is no exception. The guys are always more than willing to offer help & advice. I have solved many a problem without even having to post a question because whatever the problem there is always someone who has "been there, done that and got the t-shirt" and has happily shared the experience.

I know this, it is the same in my BMW cager forums where I have been known to share some repair tips. I was just so happy to be able to fix my problem without posting a question first......and finding the answers so easily. You know that urge where you just want to hug and kiss everyone? I'm new to wrenching bikes and starting to realize they are not too different from 4 wheeled machines. ;)

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
how about the body parts ?
did you found out, if they are stock black ones ?

funny :rolleyes: that i couldn't remember the black super-
sports, when you were asking for them.

:think:

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how about the body parts ?
did you found out, if they are stock black ones ?

funny :rolleyes: that i couldn't remember the black super-
sports, when you were asking for them.

:think:
You must have missed my first post on the bike. Yes they are OEM fairings but previous owner decided to paint the bike just like his black 1098 w/ red frame after frame crack repairs. It was a thorough job, receipts for the job show over $2,100 for powder coating wheels/frame and stripping/painting all panels.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts