Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Fabio's worst nightmare, 2 of them to deal with :)
Maybe....but what if AM ends up on a Ducati? Or a Suzuki? Or worse, on a Yamaha? Things might be a wee bit different if Fabio and Alex were team mates on the factory Yamaha team.

I suspect that if Rossi retires after next season (and he should) and Vinales is out of contract that there might be a full on change over in the factory team. Right now anyway, it appears that Fabio is the shoe in candidate for a factory ride.

I imagine Honda are keen to get Alex Marquez aboard a factory Honda but that would require dumping someone. Right now that would appear to be Lorenzo, but I also imagine there are going to be some financial issues with terminating his contract early. It's likely why he's already stated he will stay until the end of his contract.

As for Honda putting all of their proverbial eggs in Marquez' basket....that isn't a new thing. Historically, they've done that for ages now. Doohan, then Rossi, then Pedrosa. Remember how small the first generation 800 was in 2007? Also, how pissed Honda were when Rossi split with JB & Co?

I think the only danger is within Marquez himself. Rossi got away with quite a lot. I don't just mean within the rule book, but also within the laws of physics. And then one day, he didn't. Sadly, it will be true for Marquez too one day. I just hope when that day comes the result isn't fatal nor permanent disability.

Some good racing this weekend. The Moto3 was its usual epic self. I don't think Dalla Porta could have asked for a bigger present than what he got in that race though.

Moto2 was something of a surprise to me considering how dominant Alex Marquez was in practice and qualifying. I certainly didn't see the runaway the race became but that battle for 2nd with Lecuona, Binder, Marquez and Fernandez was edge of your seat stuff.

MotoGP was much the same. Once Fabio jumped out to a healthy lead, I only wondered how long it would take Marquez to reel him back in. Would he chip away and make it look good or would he gobble all the time back up in a half a lap? There was never any doubt in my mind, despite the announcer's best efforts to sow it, that the outcome would be any different than it has been all year.

If Fabio gets an "A" bike next year as has been promised by Lin Jarvis, then things might look a little different. Even if Honda stays the same, so long as Marquez is the lead rider and on a bike built to suit his style, no one else is going to even get close to a title.

Even if the bike is less capable compared to the others, he may not win as many races, but he'll still win the title. I don't say that with glee as I'd not consider myself a Marquez fan. Just a cold hard look at the facts tells me that is true statement.......sean

·
Premium Member
8,668 Posts
Why the big change in Alex's riding success compared to what I remember from last year? I haven't been following MotoGP this year because of the screwed up lack of reasonable viewing options so I just stepped away. Could it be he just got handed a more superior bike?

·
Super Moderator
26,012 Posts
I've read in more than one place that MM wouldn't want Alex on a Honda, thinks he'd be better off with a Yamaha. That speaks volumes about the Honda, plus he wouldn't want his brother to be relegated to the "wingman" role.

Just what I've read. :confused:

·
Average Weird Guy.
1,164 Posts
Click me.>>>https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/930950/1/marquez-quartararo-riding-yamaha-lorenzo

Very interesting observation made by Marc in this article above.

What makes Marc's observation all the more interesting is because of the particular chassis design that Fabio is reported to be using on his two bikes.

It would seem that Fabio has adapted his riding style to suit and is putting that old chassis design to very good use. Clever,very clever.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Fabio's riding like another Lorenzo, take the pole spot and disappear, he is going to win a few when he gets a bit more racecraft experience to handle the likes of MM and Co.

Farrrrk Jack needs all the buttons removed so he can just,ride the bloody bike.

https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/930962/1/miller-wrong-button-it-wont-happen-again

Other than that, it was the worse telecast of any GP that I have watched in 30 years. The two commentators know absolutely nothing about racing, just what they read, so they talk about it for the entire race.

Dorna's vid was just as bad, were there any other bikes in the race?.
We knew that MM was going to wait till the last lap to pounce, but,we had to watch the same thing for the whole race, while the two idiots talked about what MM was thinking of what Fabo was thinking, they think they are fucken mind readers, heard the little fat one say "he was thinking in his head", that just about summed up there knowledge of bikes. :frown2:

·
Registered
926 Posts
Why the big change in Alex's riding success compared to what I remember from last year? I haven't been following MotoGP this year because of the screwed up lack of reasonable viewing options so I just stepped away. Could it be he just got handed a more superior bike?
Alex has gotten very consistent. Matured quite a bit too. He no longer "HAS" to win. He'll settle for second or third when he has to. He's only crashed out of one race this year that I recall.

He takes the wins when he can, and when he can't he takes the best he can get. That's the maturity as well as the consistency in finishing races that has him leading the title chase in Moto2. Of course, seeing his main rivals crash out hasn't hurt him at all either.

As far as viewing options, what do you consider reasonable? I finally just knuckled under and bought a subscription to MotoGP. Streaming video when I watch live, but I don't have to do that if the race is on stupid early. I can just watch it later when I feel like getting out of bed. Using the "No Spoiler" option, I watch all three, usually in descending order. Moto3 first, MotoGP last. I only wish we could get the Sky feed here. Best MotoGP coverage there is IMHO.

The best part is, I gave up cable last year and got a Kindle Fire Stick. My wife found a 4K stick sale during the holidays so we bought one. I think we paid like $29. Add to that half my kid's Hulu subscription, and our Netflix subscription and I pay like 1/10th of what I was paying a month for Direct TV.

I think we pay like $99 a year for Amazon Prime, which we were paying for anyway. Only now we get Amazon Prime video and music too. I pay something like $120 a year for MotoGP, and another $80 or so a year for SBK. All in, that's $300 a year. I guess if you add up the monthly's that'd be like $30 a month on top of the $300.

Still, that's about $660 a year. I was paying $160 a month. In annual terms, $1740 a year. I'm saving myself all but $360 of that as I was paying that plus the annual for MotoGP and WSBK. The beauty of it is, I still get all the shows I used to watch AND I get the Grand Tour which I wasn't getting before.

Then there's the resolution during a Grand Prix or even SBK. 4K is awesome. Waaaaay better than streaming to my Surface Pro and using an HDMI cable to the TV. I'm looking forward to upgrading my TV now to REALLY take advantage of the 4K video.

·
Premium Member
4,743 Posts
An option (for what it’s worth). I think the new breed of fast rider is the rider that can adapt to a machine without the crying and whining of a perfect setup. The Rossi’s and jlo’s and Cal’s and even Dovi’s can’t seem to adapt. How embarrassingly slow are the Yamaha’s yet a rookie on a old bike is handing the factory teams their arses. Same with Yak. If he didn’t have the odd bit of bad luck he would be in front of Petrucci. Rossi is still good but finishing out of the top five shows he’s had his day. Jlo is on a bike far from suitable for him AND probably has lost his nerve (more than understandable). Yamaha need Zarco back. Honda need to replace jlo. Suzuki and Yamaha need more motor and there should be less buttons on the handle bars and no TC. And they should be allowed any amount of fuel tank capacity to get them through the race without artificially restricting them. Engine allocation is good but the single tyre rule isn’t. Keeping down the cost of MotoGP racing is a good thing but trying to homogenise the class is garbage.

·
Premium Member
8,668 Posts
Well where is he at right now?
He's experiencing Ground Hog Day on a Honda. Him leaving Ducati was premature and I don't know all the details, but Ducati set the wheels in motion before JLo and his crew figured out what the problem was. I think JLo also set the wheels in motion before his turn around. I thought Ducati didn't try hard enough to keep him around, but these factors were too little too late. Money probably played into the drama as well.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
That article made me recall a couple of things;

Lighter rider = better acceleration = protests/rumours. When I started racing MX I was 14 years old, racing in the 250cc class against grown ass men. I was quite small for my age (I've always been a "flat tracker" when it comes to body size/weight ... still am). I weighed around 100 pounds with all my gear, and raced a 175cc in the 250cc class. I got protested many times .... all these ~men~ insisted I had some sort of nuclear powered engine or the like. Nope, it was just basic physics ... smaller/lighter rider on a smaller/lighter bike. Some called me "Flea on a missile".

:laugh:

And secondly, regarding post-race datalogger checks; At times in NASCAR races you'd see the winner do these long extended celebratory burn outs/doughnuts after the race was over. The driver(s) would be given permission by the crew chief to "burn the engine down" after the race was won so as to destroy it to a point where when the officials would tear the engine down for post race inspection it was so thoroughly roasted that various specs could not be accurately recorded. "Hot engines" could be built and then burned down to molten sledge during the post race celebratory burn outs/doughnuts, thereby circumventing any discovery of non-spec builds. Evidence destroyed.

And then came data loggers .....

:smile2:

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,521 Posts

That article just reinforces my belief that Dorna employees are running the whole show, not just engine monitoring but individual tyre allocation too and most importantly in the top tier have turned a blind eye so far to IMU hacking which is so important to two of the top teams they have threatened to withdraw from the class if a stock IMU is introduced for 2020.
I don't believe a word Mike Webb says.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts