Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,491 Posts
Wait until the Big One. He thinks he's indestructible right now.

Yes that kind of luck can't last.
He didn't fit new tyres for the last run in FP2 so I think he's hurting a lot more than he wants the others to know.
I'll bet once he stiffens up overnight things might be a bit subdued in FP3 & 4.

His mission to morally destroy the rest of the field might come undone if he doesn't back up a bit and stop pushing his luck so much.

·
7,491 Posts
They thought VR was unbeatable.. then JL beat him on the same bike, he went to Ducati, made a goose of himself there, went back to Yamaha and found he couldn't ride it anymore, sacked JB and now he's just sacked another crew chief.... no one is indestructible or unbeatable in the long run.
MM has had a fairytale run but he needs to stop believing his own bullshit for his own long term good.
And once he goes off the boil Honda are fucked as they put all their eggs in his basket.

·
Premium Member
4,722 Posts
They thought VR was unbeatable.. then JL beat him on the same bike, he went to Ducati, made a goose of himself there, went back to Yamaha and found he couldn't ride it anymore, sacked JB and now he's just sacked another crew chief.... no one is indestructible or unbeatable in the long run.
MM has had a fairytale run but he needs to stop believing his own bullshit for his own long term good.
And once he goes off the boil Honda are fucked as they put all their eggs in his basket.
Hard boiled eggs then.

·
Premium Member
8,664 Posts
Perhaps in his first year, but his second year they figured it out and he started to ride like a champion in dominating fashion at times. I thought he could go on and win the championship

·
7,491 Posts
Well where is he at right now?

·
Premium Member
8,664 Posts
Well where is he at right now?
Hes in the toilet by taking on a new bike and probably underestimated the time and effort to make it his own as he did with the Ducati. Apparently he is pretty anal when undoubtedly placing demands (or requests) on his pit crew and engineers to mold the bike into a piece of machinery that fits him precisely. He did it with the Yamaha, but he accomplished exciting gains with the Ducati. I'm uaware with his dealings with the Yamaha, but I found it amazing his turnaround with Ducati, he could keep his riding style for the most part, but could it have been something as simple as redesigning the gas tank? Maybe it was a combination of him having an open mind to making particular riding style changes, based on engineers showing him the evidence and convincing him to loosen up and work with them and their suggestions. But, the most publicized mechanical change was the gas tank, at least that is what I heard from various stories on the topic.

No doubt a lot of rider performance is influenced by head games, but you have to consider personal injury too as either a contributing factor or the sole reason for a DNF or poor showing. We all know you must be in top physical condition to compete at these high levels, hell, I wasn't in the best of shape in one instance when I crashed badly, something I'm still paying for to this day after 13 years. But, I guess good enough because the doctors thought I was in great shape and in their opinion saved my bacon. Professional racers have to suck it up and many would ride still injured, whereas I might just sit on the bench, sitting there having the lack of a clear picture of the options, but this isn't apples to apples, because in their case, there is a lot at stake. On the one hand, I'm not taking my 90% carbon fibered 999R to the track, the thought of throwing it down keeps me off the track or hiding in the C group (maybe more dangerous). Or, I can just take the bike on a cruise and tell people back home I just did Laguna Seca. I can't do that either, I would feel guilty not wringing its neck (in a nice way), I can go for a ride in the mountains without having to deal with these issues. I wouldn't go out there anyway without being in decent riding shape. I remember time period 14-15 years ago my first and second track days I would try and go like a bat out of hell and sucking air after the second lap. If I went a third lap trying to do the same pace I surely would have crashed and sure enough, I did on my 916. Fortunately, I prepared for the worst, track plastics and frame sliders and those featured saved my 916 from getting thrashed. I later damaged it when hauling it back from the track in my cargo trailer over some super bumpy roads. The front tire bounced out of the Condor chock and fell on it's side, gouging, denting, and scrapping parts.

I wish Jlo (despite the stupid celebrations) stayed with the Duc, no telling where he could have taken it, no doubt better than where he is at the moment on the Honda.

I think the fact racing at the highest level, what many of these guys have dreamed of doing most of their lives, I think they produce their own adrenaline just to get them through sometimes. They have a stronger calling and maybe money and women motivate them to try harder, many sports have common denominators. I crashed my 916 at the track once, I sustained some minor injuries and soreness and if not for a sprung wrist I would have gone back out, I know a MotoGP rider would have. Even so, I can relate on a smaller level and Jorge has had plenty of big crashes, they must take their toll in time and at the same time shakes their belief system.

JLo always seems to be in a state of recovery from a previous crash, but as usual, gets out there like most of them do, but besides all the clutter going on in his head about a myriad of things he has to know he is not riding at his full physical condition and maybe the thought of crashing again has creeped into his head, along with the belief his bike isn't like the Ducati he finally tamed a couple years back. Dang, i wish he stayed with the Duc, just to see how far he could have taken his turn around.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts