Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know this was covered before so I don't want to start a big hoopla on this subject again, BUT, 6,000 miles is here already. I'm going to strip my bike down and at least 'check' the clearances myself before I take it to the shop for any required adjustments. I don't however know the preferred or popular specs to check for. I would imagine just like for the 2v bikes there is a set of recommended specs on the sticker and a much tighter set of "preferred" specs from those of you in the know!! Can someone put up a list of the specs for me? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
107 Posts
From Lt. Snyders 3rd.Ed.

Intake and Exhaust
Opener .007"-.009" Ducati Recommended
Closer .005"-.007" Ducati Recommended
He sets them to the small end of the spec. Hope this helps. Ken.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yea, forgot to mention this is for my '05 749s if it even matters. Just out of curiosity, are all XX9 specs the same or do they vary between the 749 and 999 and variations of the two?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
What's the going rate for the 6k mile checkup if you need work on the openers and closers?

I'm about half way there to this service and I'm still on the fence on doing this. The box of shims cost several hundred dollars...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Galaxy if you want to do your own gety LT Snyders book it's very informative, and level7 I was quoted about 800 with the fairings on if you do it the dealer or shop near you will probably trade or sell just the shims you need

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
The local dealer charges about $750 for the 6k mi service, while a local Ducati-specific shop charges about $550.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm getting ready to find out. I have a very good relationship with my local dealer and I had already spoken to him about doing a valve & belt adjust 'only' and that's with me bringing him the bike stripped down ready to go. He did not give me a quote at the time but said he would be more than willing to work that out with me. I'll probably get a quote this week. Or, I may wait and check them myself first to see if they even need it. Believe it or not, I have heard several reports of these bikes not needing anything. May have been some isolated insidents though...we'll see.

Was your $800 quote for a 6,000 mile service?? There's a difference between a 6,000 mile service and just asking the shop to do valves only.

·
Registered
15 Posts
yeah It was the full 6k of course mine was on the other side when I checked mine most of the openers were pretty tight and when all is said and done I think I'll have one new rocker and a new head to go with it. just a heads up just because most don't have to do anything you still need to look
P.S. I think I'm one of a very small crowd of testa owners who had a flaking rocker

·
Registered
107 Posts
You don't have to buy a whole shim set.

You can exchange shims. When doing my valve adjust. I just measured all my clearances and then measure all the shims that needed switched. The ones that couldn't be used to get other valves in spec. I bagged up and sent to BCM with notes in each bag telling how much thinner or thicker they needed to be. It adds a couple of days to the process. But the little bit they charge for swapping is a heck of alot less than a complete set. Ken.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
1stduc said:
yeah It was the full 6k of course mine was on the other side when I checked mine most of the openers were pretty tight and when all is said and done I think I'll have one new rocker and a new head to go with it. just a heads up just because most don't have to do anything you still need to look
P.S. I think I'm one of a very small crowd of testa owners who had a flaking rocker
Um, what's your serial number (the last part that tells what # bike it is)? You have a 998 right?

·
Registered
15 Posts
level7 it's a 998 motor that comes stock on a 999s in '04 though it has less than 5000 miles do a search in the archives (well archives now) for warranty work with DNA for the full story.
PS I really need to use the spellcheck more often

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FWIW, I called my shop today to get an estimate...$300 for valves & belts. He also said $300 was worse case and maybe even shave off some more with the bike completely stripped down and if only a couple valves needed adjusting or something like that. I think he was looking at a generic price list and didn't take into consideration the bike being stripped ready to jump in there when he gave me that quote. Either way... He also said the specs for the valves were .10-.25mm (.004-.0098) for everything. All the openers and all the closers are the same. I'm sure that's the Ducati recommended specs. Jason at Section 8 gave me these specs...

Intake opener .14-.19 (.0055-.007)

Intake closer .13-.18 (.005-.007)

Exhaust opener .19-.24 (.007-.009)

Exhaust closer .08-.13 (.003-.005)

I think I'm going to go ahead and strip it down and check them myself and see how close they are to Section 8's specs. Then I may take it to my guys and request what I want them to be.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, if you guys are curious...here's what I found. Stripped it down and check all the clearances myself. Also threw together this little chart. Anyways, this is with 6,002 miles exactly. The specs on the left are the ones I got from Section 8 and the ones on the far right are the factory specs. The center is my actual measurements. I thought everything looked pretty dang good...kinda center of the road. Except for, oddly enough, the left exhaust opener on both cylinders are too loose. How funny is that? One was out of there and the other is borderline. But, you guys give me your opinions on the rest of the clearances also. Here's the best part...Took it to the shop yesterday for a "pseudo" 6,000 mile service. Basically valves & belts and a good look over. They are going to fix those two valves and probably double check my work, and he also said if the mechanic recommended tightening up any of the others they'd do that wile they are in there anyways. Drum roll please...........................$220 I thought that was pretty dang good. Even if it's not a great price this is at Munroe Motors East Bay and those guys are awesome. So what do you think overall?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Not a bad deal.

Thats not a bad deal. You have done all the PITA stuff removing the body work etc. They sound better than alot of the dealerships as far as working with people to make and keep satisfied customers. Good to hear that some of them actually "Get it". Ken.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What do you guys think about my numbers??? Both exhaust openers were a little loose and being adjusted but other than that?

·
luvmyduke
220 Posts
LT Snyder ref

1stduc said:
Galaxy if you want to do your own gety LT Snyders book it's very informative, and level7 I was quoted about 800 with the fairings on if you do it the dealer or shop near you will probably trade or sell just the shims you need
Is the 3rd Edition of LT Snyder's book good for a 2005 999S? Anyone have the ISBN # for it, if the answer is yes?

Thx.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts