Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to get my ’04 749 dyno’ed shortly. While the bike runs OK on a 54mm Termi & a PC111USB I fell a custom map is the way to get the engine working at its full potential.

So, I should ditch the factory filters & get some “performance” filters for the mapping, right?
Well the advice I’ve got so far ranges from:

“Filters?!.. Bah!!… You don’t even need ‘em

to-

“Get BMC, they are the best, worth every penny”

At nearly $400 retail that’s 1/3 the cost of the dyno & custom map- they had better be worth it!
I ain’t a rich man & I do not know what to look for in performance filters- any advice would be appreciated.

So what is your experience/info/opinion on performance filters?

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Lost_In_Spice said:
I plan to get my ’04 749 dyno’ed shortly. While the bike runs OK on a 54mm Termi & a PC111USB I fell a custom map is the way to get the engine working at its full potential.

So, I should ditch the factory filters & get some “performance” filters for the mapping, right?
Well the advice I’ve got so far ranges from:

“Filters?!.. Bah!!… You don’t even need ‘em

to-

“Get BMC, they are the best, worth every penny”

At nearly $400 retail that’s 1/3 the cost of the dyno & custom map- they had better be worth it!
I ain’t a rich man & I do not know what to look for in performance filters- any advice would be appreciated.

So what is your experience/info/opinion on performance filters?

Air filters are not performance modifications. They are used to prevent dirt from getting into your motor. I was listening to Pat Gauss who does a car show on the weekends and when some guy called in to say that he got a K&N air filter to let me air into the motor, Pat immediately said the filter won't let one more bit of air into the motor. Something like a motor needs what a motor needs. It's only when you get into modified motors do you need it I think.

It's similar to an exhaust system. A stock motor doesn't need a full system and it may even hurt it because of loss of back pressure.

·
way huge member
28,731 Posts
+ A Gajillion.

I had a 50mm Sil full system on my 749, and it murderd the midrange. This is a streetbike, it lives in the midrange. That was with a Power Commander. I'm now back to stock, and while it sure sounded faster before, I guarantee you it is more fun to ride now, and quicker from corner to corner.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys but still puzzled

Thanks guys, but-

When I use the term “performance filters” I am just using the ubiquitous term after-market suppliers use in the marketplace. This is common language usage so I think people know the items I am referring to. I do not expect a change of filters to be equivalent to a ‘bolt-on horsepower gain’ which the term ‘performance’ may imply. I did not get special filters with the Termi, I do expect any mid-range loss & I assume I still have factory filters installed (I’ve never opened the air-box to check).

What I do expect by the way of the whole dyno/custom-map package is:

* 1-2 hp gain up top
* 1-2 hp gain in mid-range
* 0 hp gain low end
* smoother throttle response
* any dips in power curve to be ironed-out
* marginally quicker revving
* no loss of engine reliability

I believe these are fairly humble, reasonable expectations. The dyno guy agrees with this & suggests top-spec filters. THAT is where is see the ‘performance filters’ coming in- as part of the whole integrated dyno/custom-map deal- not as any individually exceptional technology.

So I may rephrase my initial question as:

“what after-market brand of filters (if any) do you see as a valuable (?necessary?) in getting the most out of the dyno/custom-map re-tuning of the Testastretta engine?”

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
the stock air filters flow well enough for 999 to make140 hp,your stock filters are fine for what you need.and as a side note the ducati performance filters are the same "looking" as the oem

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
kaos said:
...and as a side note the ducati performance filters are the same "looking" as the oem
I was told by 2 mechanics that the "performance filters that came with my Termi full system are the same as the OEM on the bike.

The OEM filters worked fine on my `03 749 with a full Termi system (50 mm?) . I didn't put on the "performance filters" that came with the system based on what the mechanic said. I never had it dyno'd because I removed the system shortly afterwards to sell it. The bike ran great with the exhuast and the ECU supplied.

Air filters restrict air flow compared to an open inlet, it's a matter of how much restriction or bits your engine can ingest that you are comfortable with. In general if you assume that the stock filter will flow all the air your engine can use all is good. If you don't believe that air flow, restriction makes a difference, plug half your air inlet up and go for a ride.

I use K&N filters in my truck and in some bikes mostly for convenience.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,087 Posts
The stock filters and the "Racing" filters that come with the Termi kit look very similar. But, look closely and they are not the same. The stock filters are about twice the thickness of the "racing" filters that come with the pipe. Hold them up to light and look through them. It's very easily seen. They are not the same and the "racing" filters are little more than bug filters, even when properly oiled.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
I agree that "performance" filters don't do much. Sure if you've got a bad oil covered filter, replace it with a performance one, why not? At the same time, don't expect to see any real performance increase. In the car world, all they do is cause midrange gaps because there is just too much free flowing air around the filter. Then you've gotta compensate for that with software and a REAL dyno tune. You won't get any more HP out of it, tell ya that much.

I rode a 748 w/o termi's and it actually had better midrange then my bike does!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.