Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really love the design of the Supersport, and would rather have one of those than a 1098. However, I would like to have a superbike Ducati, so gears started spinning in my head wondering...

- if a 1098 engine swap into a 1000DS Supersport could be reasonably done (anything can be done, but I mean without a custom trellis frame or anything too extreme).

- if the handling is up to par, or could be brought up to be similar with the 1098 range

- or if it'd be just easier to put Supersport fairings on a 1098? (a 1098 base would be more expensive than starting with a Supersport obviously)

I guess I'm one of the few people that just never really liked the 1098 styling, and I'd love to have a "Q-ship" bike...a Supersport that packs a much bigger punch than what it would appear to :D

·
Registered
954 Posts
Hiya

Would be easier to fit SS fairings & tank onto a 1098 TBH? The SS & 1098 frame are different in the swingarm mounts, would also have the 1098 brakes & suspension - an 1098 on SS running gear would be a handful, for sure... ;)

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Hi,

Just do what pablo-pilot did and put an st3/4 motor in a 900ss frame. :)
you can have alot of fun with 120hp in a 350lb bike :D

The 1098 motor will bolt into the frame (an ssie but not ss) but you will never get the swingarm attached as the 1098 swingarm is bolted onto the frame and not the motor like the ss. 1098 cases have an oval opening that the swingarm pivot passes through. There is also no room for the breather box and injector-rail. I would say this is a dead end. It is easier to put an ss motor in a 848-1098 frame.

Gray

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
i don't think the 4v motor will fit under the top frame rail under the back of the tank nor between the A shape frame rails at the sides of the top frame rail under the back of the tank . all the 4v frames are open there for that reason. i think the st3 would have just got in as it's a simialr shape to the 2v head.

·
Registered
350 Posts
It would be akin to putting a Ferrari motor in a Honda Civic. With enough money almost anything could be done. But in the end its still a Civic.

Enjoy the SS for what it is, not want it isn't.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts