Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped off my s1k at PI this morning for the valve guide job, and as I am waiting for my ride to pick me up, I'm lurking around the showroom... new F4... very nice... black 1198s... cool... the 1098 Bayliss edition in the window display... sick... and then, here she is: a pearl white streetfighter with carbon termi slip-ons... note: this is not the S. they had a red S but I'm not crazy about the red, and the other detail which immediately caught my eye aside from the termis is that it had a license plate. So I'm thinking: demo bike!!! I ask the sales associate if it's ok to sit on it, and he says: "go ahead. Do you want to test-ride it?". I tried to talk him out of it right away by telling him I wasn't looking to replace my SC. He smiled knowingly and told me: "you got your gear, just take it out anyway..." (smart salesman: let the product do the talking...). "be careful, this thing likes to wheely. And take it on the freeway so you can REALLY feel the acceleration". wasn't gonna say no to that!

here I am, sitting on a white streetfigher, and I'm thinking that's a little bit like a hypermotard... well.. the position maybe. then I pop it in 1st and off I go.

I gave it a good yank in first like "let's see what this baby can do" kinda-thing... and I looked down to see the speed from 1st to 2nd: 63mph. Ok. interesting... then I get on the freeway... I didn't make it to 5th gear, because I was in 4th, and only then did I start thinking, ok now this is fun I'm starting to feel it. I look down: 120.

I get off the freeway and get back to PI in a 35mph zone, and I must say it was damn near impossible to keep it below 60. like seriously, the bike doesn't go slower than 60, period.

anyone who's ever been on a 1098 can say: yeah, been there done that... sure. But the sick thing about the streetfighter was the riding position. at 120 you are sitting upright on a beast and there is no wind resistance, no vibrations, and only more room to go... what a superbly designed bike!

first words out of my mouth when I returned to PI: "so how much does this cost?"

No, but seriously, I'm happy I tried it, and I certainly would love to own one one day as a "just for fun" bike... and treat it like a mistress with a perfect rack and rear-end but who's got an annoying laugh and who you wouldn't want to introduce to your mom... not a classy gal like my S1K...

I just know I'd get in so much trouble... speeding tickets for sure, suspended license maybe, and I'm even afraid to say it but I could see myself in situations where I could go down... (like coming in a super tight hair-pin turn at 90 thinking I'm going 40...)..

but man, what a ride. If I'm writing this annoyingly long post about a test ride, you know I'm still grinning from it, and I'll probably have dreams about it for the next few nights...

:crazy:

·
Registered
421 Posts
... and treat it like a mistress with a perfect rack and rear-end but who's got an annoying laugh and who you wouldn't want to introduce to your mom... not a classy gal like my S1K...
...now that there's funny- I don't care who you are...:)

Nice write up, thanks!

·
Registered
736 Posts
DGJ,

I've had my black SFS for 2 weeks now and I agree with everything you say. The speedo is 8% optimistic from the factory, but it is still near impossible to ride this bike anywhere near the speed limit. I've already got a call in to a bondsman. :D

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DGJ,

I've had my black SFS for 2 weeks now and I agree with everything you say. The speedo is 8% optimistic from the factory, but it is still near impossible to ride this bike anywhere near the speed limit. I've already got a call in to a bondsman. :D
good call! :D

do you actually adjust to how fast this bike is, do you go easy on the throttle after two weeks, or do you just keep pulling on it relentlessly with a huge smile on your face? (like me yesterday...)

is there a meditative chapter in the owner's manual: "learn how to tame your beast" of some sort?

or does it come with extra points on your license to counter-balance?

Conclusion: that bike is not a toy, it's for grown ups with a strong and consistent sense of moderation and self-control... and I cannot say that this describes me 100% of the time. :eek:

ride safe, man!

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
I was able to test-ride a SFS last weekend. I agree with the people that said that it's impossible to keep the speed down. The bike just can't sit still.

I did notice the flat-spot and surging that others have talked about (even though the bike had the DP Termi kit), and I did appreciate that the rear brake is light and precise, unlike the SC. I think this is necessary due to the heat guard pushing your right foot out.

What I didn't like was the cheapness of the switchgear, the too confusing display and modes (took us 5 minutes to figure out how to adjust the DTC), and I kept banging my knees into the frame at times.

But, the power is insane and addictive. Overall, I think I like the ride of the M1100S more, and the Ohlins on the SFS didn't seem as potent as on the Monster, but the SF package is just sweet. Maybe in a few years, when I can save up the scratch. 20K out the door is quite a setback for me.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I was curious how Ducati would make a bike that goes like a rocket without adding a windscreen. For those of you who have test ridden the bike, do you think the design prevents the wind from effecting you as much as a SC? I cant imagine going 160 without a windscreen :eek:

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I was curious how Ducati would make a bike that goes like a rocket without adding a windscreen. For those of you who have test ridden the bike, do you think the design prevents the wind from effecting you as much as a SC? I cant imagine going 160 without a windscreen :eek:
I've got around 900 on mine. I'm very pleasantly surprised at how little buffeting this bike has at speed. It must have to do with the front end design and the way air flows over it. Very smooth especially in comparo to my brutale.

Chris

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Good write up thanks and I agree with your comments. I would love to take the Streetfighter to Santa Cruz but won't. The wind blast on the SF is a lot less than I anticipated and it really is very comfortable....and deceptive. I found myself at 90 without even thinking about it. I was going to buy a Monster S4RS last year but when I heard about the SF I waited. I think it will prove to be very popular. The biggest issue is the price for most people.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Finally laid eyes on one (actually two - a standard one and an 'S') at at shop here in Rimini. Still not a fan of the styling, especially the blue cans on the S. Still, I was impressed by how incredibly tiny the things are - a lot of horsepower in such a small package, and the view from the cockpit is just mad - very hypermotard how you are just out there, with no view of anything except the clocks. Too wild for me, but I can definitely see the attraction.

Personally, the 1098 is pure sex. The SF is that sexy chick that actually looked better before she took her clothes off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts