Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While test riding the new s4Rs, I noticed that under 5k rpm's the engine was pretty rough. Is this normal? The kid at the dealer said it's just how the engine is. I will probally be purchasing this bike shortly and want to know if this is something that should be addressed. I was going to ride the 999 to see if it had the same problem, but haven't had the chance yet and may not.

Thanks for the advice,
Matt

·
Registered
263 Posts
The one I rode wasn't even broken in yet but while it wasn't "buttery smooth" under 5k, I wouldn't have called it "pretty rough" either though. Ask a couple of trusted friends to ride it first and see what they think. Probably nothing an exhaust and some dyno-tuning can't fix lol. ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
O.k maybe not rough, but it was definatley smoother above 5k. It had the termi exhaust on it. I think the bike only had a couple hundred miles on it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I test rode one and it is bloody smooth at all RPM. What do u ride??

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yeah, sometimes it's all relative... _everything_ feels like a rattle-trap compared to my beemer for instance lol. :think:

·
Registered
86 Posts
U made my point, Matt......

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Maybe if the kid at the dealer hadn't said anything I wouldn't have noticed. But he did, and I could definatley tell at 4k that the engine was not as smooth. It's like being in 6th gear at 2k, it felt like it needed to be downshifted. It's kinda hard to explain. My guess is that it needs a better tune after having the termi exhaust. I'm going to ride one at another dealer w/ the stock exhaust to see if there is any difference. I'm definatley going to buy this bike, but wanted to know if this was normal. On a side note, I thought at high speed, 110 mph,( high for me) that the bike handled fine. I read Matt's post about his test ride on the s4Rs and it needing a steering dampner. I have never ridden a bike like this, nor one with a dampner, so I wouldn't know if it needed one or not, but seemed fine to me.

Thanks for the help,
Matt

·
Registered
392 Posts
6th gear at 2K? Don't ever do that on a Ducati!!! If you're used to a Japanese 4, this motor will feel rough. IT could be the tuning with the added slip ons. When I first got my bike (with added slip-ons) it ran terrible under 4K. Some minor adjustments it ran much smoother. It still likes to spin above 4K, but is smooth enough down to 3K in lower gears around town. Go ahead and ride another Duc, some models are smoother than others, but all have that rougher characteristic at lower rpm's.

·
Registered
36 Posts
S4Rs

Just rode a S4Rs this weekend and only noticed a off idle stumble - all was cool fromm 2000 rpm and up. Nice ride - very comfy!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Is it suppose to sound like that?

mattjw916 said:
Yeah, sometimes it's all relative... _everything_ feels like a rattle-trap compared to my beemer for instance lol. :think:
Exactly. Sitting next to my R1200GS, the Duc sounds like it's on its last breath of air - ready for the bike graveyard.

Friend of mine, a Harley rider, that runs the local Quiznos walked up to me during lunch break and asked if my idling 05 S4R "is suppose to sound like that."

Heck yeah, it's suppose to sound exactly like that..... :D ;) :rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts