Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Termingnoni kit purchased for my brothers '04 999 refused to fit properly.
Everything went on trouble free except the midpipe. It seemed to have the wrong bends in it. After trying to get it to mount properly, we gave up and put the stock one back on in its place.
I now see this ebay auction where it's mentioned that "Bikes prior to 2005 will require an adaptor for the front cylinder".
What does this adapter do, and where would I find one?

TIA;)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Redbird said:
Everything went on trouble free except the midpipe. It seemed to have the wrong bends in it. After trying to get it to mount properly, we gave up and put the stock one back on in its place.
I now see this ebay auction where it's mentioned that "Bikes prior to 2005 will require an adaptor for the front cylinder".

TIA;)
I'm not sure about the adapter for the horizontal cylinder but I can tell you that fitting the midpipe is a source of pain no matter what year Superbike you have. Use lots of WD40 and just keep trying to manipulate it on there. Each one seems to fit a little differently.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Redbird said:

TIA;)
Are you sure that you have a kit made for a 2004 999? The 05/06 have a deep sump, so the kit is quite different than one that would fit on your bike. What kit model number is on the box? Is it a 54mm or 57mm? Stainless steel or Titanium canister?
I am in the process of installing one on my 05 999 and the part number is 96446505BA. There seems to be quite a bit of confusion regarding part numbers and what systems are available.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
I agree with Robert. There are a bunch of new applications now since the bikes swapped engines and subframes. Most dealers are having trouble keeping track of the new numbers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The part number is 96432403B, it was listed as being for an '03 999S. But he was assured by a local Ducati shop that it would fit the '04 999. (which may have been the problem)

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Redbird said:
The part number is 96432403B, it was listed as being for an '03 999S. But he was assured by a local Ducati shop that it would fit the '04 999. (which may have been the problem)
That part number shows a fitting for an '04 999S, while the same system for an '04 999 is a different part number ... so moto is probably right... you cannot fit the system you have on hand to the '04 999 because it does not have a deep sump motor, where the '03 and '04 999S did (same for the '05 and '06, except they have the new swingarm).

If I am not mistaken .... all Termi exhaust cans from the half-systems will fit the stock pipes without modifications .... they will also work with little or no need to adjust fuel. Maybe just idling. I have done this for the 749's, but not for the 999's ... I would bet that it will be the same for the 999 though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the help guys. It seems that the issue is we were misinformed on the fitment. The stock pipe went together with the Termingnoni can with no trouble and seems to be working fine. The bike feels like it lost a little low end, but the midrange has skyrocketed.
The kit also came with an ECM labeled for a 999R. Is this going to be an issue also?

·
Registered
584 Posts
The 999R is a very different animal from the 999 or 999S. The ECU must be significantly different. For the amount of money you paid I would strongly suggest that you don't try 'mixing and matching'.
It seems odd that you would be sold a system meant for a 999S when you have a 999, and even more odd that an ECU for a 999R is included in the kit! I would bring it back and get one designed for the bike you are installing it on.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
The 03-04 999R ECU will work on the 04 999 but the early 999R ECU will not work on the 2005+ 999R.

(I don't know how I remember all this. I can't remember my kids names sometimes...)

·
Registered
584 Posts
moto said:
The 03-04 999R ECU will work on the 04 999 but the early 999R ECU will not work on the 2005+ 999R.

(I don't know how I remember all this. I can't remember my kids names sometimes...)
Will it 'work', or will it work properly? If it will work properly my assumption about how different the engines are was obviously wrong...

·
http://www.ducati-owners-group.c
2,008 Posts
Just had my shop install a 57mm system on my 04 999r Fila. Did not use the ECU as I bought the stainless system which is $1500 less. Looks exacatally like the system Moto is selling that is from Ducati Corse without the ECU. Difference is the can is stainless and not Ti. Not concerned about the weight as I'm 190lbs and could loose a few pounds myself. My shop messed with the mixture and got it to 5%. Bike runs fantastic. Small burp at 3K. Pulls really hard to 11K. What a difference. Will probably do a PCIII---No Hurry. The 04 999s does not have a deep sump and requires a different pipe. 05s went to a deep sump.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
migz123 said:
If I am not mistaken .... all Termi exhaust cans from the half-systems will fit the stock pipes without modifications .... they will also work with little or no need to adjust fuel. Maybe just idling.
The kit instructions mention adjusting the idle but it refers you to the shop manual for the procedure...
Can someone explain this procedure?
You also mention "adjusting fuel", is this done through the ECM, or is it something else I need to adjust manually?

TIA

Also, can someone post a pic of the deep sump motor?
That way I can have a visual comparison for what y'all are explaining:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts