Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last season my Termi decal started to deteriorate. This was an obvious sign of a hot spot and lack of packing material in that area. This preseason, I decided to remedy the situation. Had a heck of a time breaking the sealant on the end caps. I drilled the rivets with relative ease using a good 11/64 drill bit, then the bands came right off. I tried a rubber mallet, a heat gun and a pointed feeler gauge to cut the seal with very little success. Today I used my propylene torch on low and heated the joint to the point the cap pulled off somewhat easy. Pics show what I found. My advice is if you see any discoloration, nip it in the bud. There are 2 post I visited showing guys cutting off cracking, probably due to a lack of insulating fiberglass.

Attachments

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here you can see the issue.

You can see as I pulled the exit cap off first, the glass did break, but then I was able to slide out the remaining. Screen is gone which hold in the glass. I'll have to source some of that. Repack kit us due in Tues and a local business should have the stainless rivets.

Just for reference, my MTS has just under 30k miles. Not sure how long the exhaust has been on as I bought the bike with 18k on the clock.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just curious, did you have the dB killer in? Seems like an odd place for it to burn out the packing.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just curious, did you have the dB killer in? Seems like an odd place for it to burn out the packing.
No.
If you look at bugsbunny's post, his glass looks similar although the ss screen is in tact. His can in fact was cracking.

Got my end caps cleaned up and the inside of the can. The foil decal is another story. I scraped some and decided to use heat from behind to help. No go. So I've soaked it in GooGone for overnight.

Attachments

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

So that stuff didn't touch the foil decal. What a pita! I tried a wire wheel and realized it was doing too much damage.

I ended up using an old dull razor which scratched the metal a little. After finally removing as much as possible, I put a piece of very fine scotchbrite pad on a drill polisher pad. It did the trick.

Attachments

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ended up doing the entire can so the finish would be consistent. After scotchbrite, I wet sanded w/ 400 then 800. Then I hit it with my drill and the Mothers metal polish. Good enough for me!

Sorry for the shakey pics.

All that work because of a stubborn decal! :(

My 2 packs of packing came in today, but now I'm waiting on the stainless screen material. I didn't know that was in there, so it wasn't ordered ahead of time. Weather here is total crap, so I'm in no hurry.

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
I found that soda blasting is very effective for removing melted/stuck goop/crap off exhausts or anything bare metal. If you have access to an air compressor, you can rig up a Venturi style one with less that $10 in materials and risk no damage to the base metal.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I found that soda blasting is very effective for removing melted/stuck goop/crap off exhausts or anything bare metal. If you have access to an air compressor, you can rig up a Venturi style one with less that $10 in materials and risk no damage to the base metal.
If I had this info, I may have given it a try. Hoping there won't be a next time!

The Termi logo on mine appears to be a plate riveted to the can. Not sure if it is a decal or paint but either way if it burns, I can drill the rivets and just remove it.
Shouldn't ever be a problem. I've had plenty of metal plate logo's like that and they usually never falter.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
11 of 12 rivets in perfectly, then the gun craps out. :mad:

I had to slightly bend this back and forth to break it off and it didn't look good at all, so i drilled it out and will put a fresh rivet in when I gain access to a decent gun.

So, almost done. I'll apply the new decal after I put the can back on the bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
735 Posts
I just repacked my LV Ti can after 75,000 miles and it was a PIA! My bike was getting loud, even with the dB killer in it, so.... I had to buy a big rivet gun so I could use SS rivets. I haven't started her up as my wheels are off to put new donuts on....Pirelli Angel GT II's.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts