Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon everyone,

I recently disassembled the carbon termi's on my 748 to have them ceramic coated. The packing looks pretty "used" so I was wondering if anyone who has done a repack has any specific advice re. a kit, procedure, etc. I also need to know where I can get replacement Termi decals (heat resistant?) for the cans themselves.

I searched the Hall of Wisdom forum but did not find what I was looking for. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I have repacked carbon termis several times. It's easy enough to do, I got a large sheet of exhaust packing from a motocross shop which was much cheaper than buying the offiical termignoni kit. Wrap it tight and get as much as possible in there.

When re-assembling I wrap the entire 'package' (perf tube, packing etc) with aluminium tape, this helps hold it in an oval shape to get back into the can (much better than the OEM paper tape) and also adds another layer of protection against the heat damaging the carbon when the packing eventually blows away.

As for the rivets I used aluminium as stainless ones are tough to rivet and even tougher to remove next time round (spin with the drill) plus they cost (and weigh) more than ally also ally rivets are more than strong enough.

I've never replaced the stickers but see them on ebay often enough.

·
Premium Member
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What kind of replacement rivets did you get? Just curious..
I have not gotten to that point yet, but Engin3rd sent me some info on disassembly and recommended the following:

As for the rivets used to assemble the cans, I ordered those from http://mcmaster.com Part number 97524A034 Sealing Blind Rivet, Domed, Aluminum, 3/16" Diameter, .126"-.25" Material Thickness. I think one pack of 100 (smallest amount) was about $20 and shipping was about $5. They don't list shipping on the page as they calculate it out based on where you are (they ship out of Santa Fe, CA).

·
Registered
279 Posts
agree, aluminium rivets are more than strong enough. stainless will just be more of a ball ache as dukedesmo said.

as for stickers you can still get them from termignoni themselves, or ebay.

·
Premium Member
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When re-assembling I wrap the entire 'package' (perf tube, packing etc) with aluminium tape, this helps hold it in an oval shape to get back into the can (much better than the OEM paper tape) and also adds another layer of protection against the heat damaging the carbon when the packing eventually blows away.
By "perforated tube" are you referring to the piece which is part of the exhaust "end" weldment...

... or do you mean that cylindrical mesh element which is at the center of the packing and fits just over the piece in the above image?

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
By "perforated tube" are you referring to the piece which is part of the exhaust "end" weldment...

... or do you mean that cylindrical mesh element which is at the center of the packing and fits just over the piece in the above image?
I meant the tube that is part of the exhaust, but keep the mesh that's around it and reuse it as there's no need to buy new but it does help keep the wadding together.

Wrap the wadding around the mesh nice n' tight then use tape to hold it together so you can slip it back into the can, the aluminium tape is good as it will take an oval shape and slide well against the carbon meaning it's easier to put it back together, plus it will give some extra heat protection.

·
Premium Member
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey gang, refreshing this year old thread in the hopes that someone knows where packing material, aluminum tape, etc. can be purchased for repacking a pair of carbon Termi's...

Duke? IIRC you have quite a bit of experience with this... any links you can provide?

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
The Aluminium tape is a plumbing/insulation tape about 2" wide, get it from any DIY/plumbing type store usually on a big roll (50m?).

The packing is exhaust specific and (here in the UK) is sold by many bike shops, particularly for motocross bikes as they use it a lot.

You could also find it all on ebay.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,875 Posts
I recently repacked the silencers for my NSR. I think I bought the packing material on Amazon (just ordinary motocross stuff), and aluminum rivets from the local auto parts store. I didn't need tape since the round silencers were not difficult to fill.

·
Premium Member
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Packing material ordered, quick question about the use of Aluminum Tape to wrap everything up. Duke, if you are still eyeing this thread, do you wrap the entire length of packing or just a few locations to hold everything together?

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Packing material ordered, quick question about the use of Aluminum Tape to wrap everything up. Duke, if you are still eyeing this thread, do you wrap the entire length of packing or just a few locations to hold everything together?
I wrap the entire length (although Termignoni only do 2 or 3 wraps of paper tape).

My theory is that the tape gives another level of heat protection to the carbon of the can if (when) the packing blows out, although it mostly blows out from the input end.

·
Premium Member
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wrap the entire length (although Termignoni only do 2 or 3 wraps of paper tape).

My theory is that the tape gives another level of heat protection to the carbon of the can if (when) the packing blows out, although it mostly blows out from the input end.
Very cool... thank you sir!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts