Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

termignoni problem

8K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  ct_mazi 
#1 · (Edited)
first, sorry for my english
My problem:
i have GT1000 since July 06. Now: 12.000 km without any problem
But i just bougth Termignoni kit
Tests by mechanical Ducati after install and checking normal controls: TPS, richess, CO etc...: OK
My first ride: without exhaust attenuator. After 20 km: suddenly engine refused. Cut. No power. Probably at 7000 rpm. It restarts at 5000 rpm.
After that: every time i increase rpm progressively, when i pass to 7000 - 7200 t/mn: engine refused, stop. I am obliged to decrease to lower rpm to restart engine
If i turn gaz throtlle like on - off : OK, rpm increase until 8200 - 8500 rpm max
If i turn gaz throttle progressively with rpm increase: impossible to have more than 7000 rpm, engine refused, stops, lost his power. I decrease rpm. Engine refused during few seconds and restarts until new refused to 7000 t/mn. Like gas defect. Or like problem at a spécial gas throtlle opening ( 1/3 )
Technical Ducati retests. For him no problem, all things OK, nice engine

I suppose i have a bad ECU unit, so yesterday i go to other Ducati store. We test with new ECU one Ducati store man will be sure il works fine
Tecnician made some tests with his box and increase misture richess
No change. Same bad behaviour
Probably my ECU is OK

I have made a lot of personal tests, mixing original parts with Termignoni parts. But i lost my mind: too many tests
Seems better with original ECU + lambda sonde + termignoni exhausts
With all original parts GT: no problem, like before

My GT1000 seems to have problem, incompatibity with Termignoni and my manner( façon ) to turn throtle gas: progressevely increase opening gas with rpm increasing

I have tested S2R with Termignoni: very funny. No problem with my driving manner !

Ducati Tecnician says he had checked fuel line between pump and filter

5l/100 km with standard GT parts
8 to 10 l/100 km with Termignoni parts. Seems too big increase

Thanks if you have some idea :))

philippe, france

See less See more
#2 ·
If everything works properly with the origianl ECU, but fails in a consistant manner with the new one that is where the problem would seem to lie. Here is a suggestion: Have the dealer (or a friend) exchange your Termi ECU with a like one and see how the bike runs. If the problem is gone you have the source, if the problem remains it is elsewhere in the system.

-don

#3 ·
In another forum, there was much discussion about surging and stalling problems on the S2R1000, which has the same engine. It came down to some issue related to the O2 sensor (which I think you are referring to as the Lambda sensor). Many folks just disconnected the O2 and then reset the ECU (which also involved unplugging it, even disconnecting the battery, or something like that). When my Termi 2:2 was installed, the O2 was removed altogether. Was that the case when they installed yours?

#4 ·
[When my Termi 2:2 was installed, the O2 was removed altogether. Was that the case when they installed yours?[/QUOTE]
----------------------------
thank to you and DUCEditor

i try to find S2R site

the Termignoni ECU does not accept Lambda sensor
when we install the Termignoni kit, Lambda sensor was maintain in place but disconnect( bad for sensor to stay in place and not plugged. Sensor is not cleaned and can broken. It must be take off, dismountled . i know since yesterday )

When i put original ECU i reconnect Lambda sensor.I retest this morning with: original ECU + Lambda sensor + Termignoni exhauxt with atténuator + original air box: no engine cut. Good

DUCeditor:
yesterday we have tested a new good working Termignoni ECU . Same problem: cut to 7000 rpm
My Termignoni ECU is probably OK
I thing is the engine does not accept the new ECU richness , may be it has a problem like air inlet parasite with no effect with standard ECU and effect with Termignoni ECU. Why ? difficult to understand.

Possibility:
i stay with original ECU + Lambda sensor + termignoni air filter top box + Termignoni exhaust
But i suppose this is not the top: less torque with poor carburation

i have not read GT1000 problem with Termignoni kit here
I am surprised: some people install the kit and go on the road without black ou red box checking. And it is working

i will try to rest other GT with termi

philippe

#5 ·
[When my Termi 2:2 was installed, the O2 was removed altogether. Was that the case when they installed yours?[/QUOTE]
----------------------------
thank to you and DUCEditor

i try to find S2R site

the Termignoni ECU does not accept Lambda sensor
when we install the Termignoni kit, Lambda sensor was maintain in place but disconnect( bad for sensor to stay in place and not plugged. Sensor is not cleaned and can broken. It must be take off, dismountled . i know since yesterday )

When i put original ECU i reconnect Lambda sensor.I retest this morning with: original ECU + Lambda sensor + Termignoni exhauxt with atténuator + original air box: no engine cut. Good

DUCeditor:
yesterday we have tested a new good working Termignoni ECU . Same problem: cut to 7000 rpm
I thing is the engine does not accept the new ECU richness , may be it has a problem like air inlet parasite with no effect with standard ECU and effect with Termignoni ECU. Why ? difficult to understand.

Possibility:
i stay with original ECU + Lambda sensor + termignoni air filter top box + Termignoni exhaust
But i suppose this is not the top: less torque with poor carburation

i have not read GT1000 problem with Termignoni kit here
I am surprised: some people install the kit and go on the road without black ou red box checking. And it is working

i will try to test other GT with termi

philippe

#6 ·
bresphilippe said:
Maybe the ECU is OK, but the parts that the ECU controls are failing. The fuel injection?

(Just a guess! I have no experience with engines.)

#7 ·
krilli said:
Maybe the ECU is OK, but the parts that the ECU controls are failing. The fuel injection?

(Just a guess! I have no experience with engines.)
may be !
enough gazoline with original ECU: low consumption ( 5 l/100 km ) but not enough with Termignoni ECU and higger consumption

But this is not compatible with:
it works nice for big and fast throttle opening and works bad for quiet , progressevely, not fast opening

filter-line - pump seem OK

just arrow on the filter is pointed not toward the flange like written on the manual but toward "out" of filter. I thing it is mistake on the manual

thanks

#9 ·
From my experience, if you are getting inconsistent results with electronics check your battery and a good earth. Chips work from reference voltages and if they are not there or are themselves not consistent, then you can get strange results.

#10 ·
ct_mazi said:
Philippe,

Have you found a solution for your problem? I think that i may have a similar one with mine.

Thanks,
ct
I thing we have found solution. I dont know if engine has all power but i thing. RPM increases continuosly until max without abnormal stop at 7200 rpm.
Gt in original conditions, mechanical technician Ducati has checked TPS. We can see progressif value increase at multimeter. Seems OK. He has ckecked "camshaft timing" ( i do not know exacrt english name ), reposition camshaft sprockets. He said to me " just checked, it is OK, no changed, i changed nothing.
I road tested ( in original conditions ): seemed better
I tested on Power bench (Kawasaki store ), but Fusch, and technician said no comparaison possible with résults obtained on different previous power bench ( Patrick Salles store )
I reinstall Thermignoni kit: OK. No trouble. without any checking
I cut attenuator ( baffles ? ) to have better music but wjthout too much noise. But the output hole is little and music does not change a lot with cutting more and more length of baffle
I bougth S2R baffles, why output diaméter is bigger, cut inside tube., the inclined part, to have just straigth part of baffle tube. With inclined part of tube impossible to install
like this i have Ducati music, but not too loud

7 July i will go to test at the first bench ( Patrick Salles ) to compare with first tests it said " your GT has very poor 76 HorsePower

Nobody knows exactly why this GT first did not want to work fine with Termi and now works
i thing may be some mistake with last control - checking at 12.000 km
No sensible negative action with original version ( parts ) and "revelation" with Termignoni ???
At other ducati store: Patrick Salles a Paul Smart has the same negative réaction whith Termi kit
Sunday afternoon , after bench test with Termi kit , i will be sure of the results

#11 ·
Philippe,

Thank you for the reply. Is the ECU on your bike the original one that came with exhaust kit? I guess the problem may be due to a loose connection somewhere? It would be good if you could find out also what the fix is for the PaulSmart.

The only thing that i found from the workshop and the owner manual is that the fuse for the ECU is 5A according to the workshop doc, but only 3A in the user manual. The bike has a 3A fuse for the ECU. All fuses did not sit all the way in, I had to push them all down. I removed/reinstalled the ECU after disconnected the power for a few minutes. I also retighten the ground wires to the battery and the ECU as suggested by AlanMac.

Did not have a chance to test ride it yet. I hope that this will solve my problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.