Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike I just picked up has Termi slip ons, but in a box was a new ECU.
Was told it was the "race" unit to make the bike work with the pipes.

I would not think that slip ons counted as race, or needed an ECU swap.
Bike also has a DP airfilter and cut airbox.

ECU appears new, and the pipes have been on the bike for a while.

Part number is 96515503B

What gives?

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
often the std ecu would be in the box, and the dp ecu on the bike. what labels are on the ecu in the bike?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would have to check the label on the unit in the bike

The one in the box reads
0130DM01
3X-11368D
1000SSDUCATI026
Looks brand new.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gotcha.

What is the deal on the ECU Swap?
Is it really needed?
What kind of power change does it offer?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
The "race" ecu was a improvement mostly if you want to open the airbox lid up. It will usually have enough fuel for a open airbox where the stock ecu will be okay for slip on's if trimmed (only software adjustment allowed to dealerships) . opening the airbox lid would NOT work well with a stock ecu trimmed, but with the exhaust slip on you can . Opening the airbox lid adds a bunch of noise but often also adds more power than a exhaust system if fuelled right.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The bike had an opened up airbox and DP filter.
Had not decided if I would keep that.

Concerned about riding in the rain.

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
If the whole top is cut I would buy a new to you whole lid. If you only cut the back under the tank riding in the wet is fine and you still get the extra Hp (though maybe a little less). I would ride it with the open airbox before making a decision because the #1 cause of people going back to closed airboxes is the noise.

I would bet the race ecu is in the bike as the open airbox will not work well with a open top. Unless they fried the race one and did not care, or re-programmed a stock ecu.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do ECUs fry often on these?

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
All it takes is running power down a ground wire, by the time you go " Oh ship" it is done. With these ecus I cannot stress enough pay attention anytime you are playing with electricity as most of your controls are ground side circuit completions that happen in the ecu.

As long as you take care you should be fine, but I have seen computer to ecu mapping,programming and service cables that were mis- manufactured and fried ecu's. They work while hooked up yet when you unplug the bike was not right again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts