Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had a fit-up issue as well with the Termi mid pipe and my 2004 749s. In the end I had to take the pipe to an exhaust shop and have it cut and rewelded to fit. Cost about $100.

I believe it has something to do with how some bikes have a low oil sump and some dont that causes this discrepancy.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks

I bought a used kit that " fits " but the difference is obvious . I would trade someone with the proper pipe...

The reweld idea is a good one , but is the midpipe titanium ?

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Got your PM... The pipe is definitely stainless, so welding would be no problem. Are you sure you got the system for the MY05+ models (boxed swingarm, not cast) The exhaust for the cast swingarm ('03-04) will not clear the boxed swingarm. I had a very tight fit on my full system, and had to grind the welds inside the muffler joints to get my mid-pipe to fit properly. You can try mock-fitting the system, leaving all the joints/mounting points loose to see if you can pursuade the pipe to fit correctly. Another solution would be to just remove the catalyst from your stock mid-pipe either by cutting/rewelding or by breaking it up the element (which I imagine would be quite a chore).

Pics of the contact areas would help too.

Best regards,
Matt

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
original header is the same for all the swingarms, but differs due to the two sump configuration. the termi '03 - '04 header pipe won't fit a later swingarm, as the bend is much closer to the swingarm than the std header. can't really tell just by looking tho.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts