Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just received my Termi exhaust that I bought from a member on here and can't wait to get it installed.

Question: It says in the instructions that I need to get the tps reset before I start the bike for the first time after theinstall is complete, is this really the case?

Will there be major repercussions for starting and or riding the bike before having the tps reset? Issues? Concerns? Problems?

Any and all input into this little issue of mine is greatly appreciated.

Thanks and have a great day.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
It's more of a safety issue. The ECU keeps the TPS values stored inside it, and the TPS is a potentiometer that ages and is different in performance from unit to unit.

Resetting the TPS sets the limits of your particular unit in the ECU for optimum fuel mapping. Where it becomes a safety issue is if your unit is farther off than the unit the bike came from that you could experience a stall from the fuel map encountering an error. If this happened at an inappropriate time, you could have an accident.

It's definitely a must when the ECU is new, and a good idea when not. I would even recommend resetting the TPS every other oil change if you can do it yourself as the unit does corrode over time and read differently. Keeping it in sync is a good thing for performance and reliability.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for that SE84, it lends a new light to things.

So what I am getting from this is...it will be ok to start and ride the bike down to the shop, just don't take it on a holiday before it is done.

Being that the ecu is used, as the system was bought used, it should be kinda close but will need to be done relatively soon.

I was worried about a catastrophic of some sort happening if I were to fire it up and take it for a test ride, or ride it to the shop.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Thank you for that SE84, it lends a new light to things.

So what I am getting from this is...it will be ok to start and ride the bike down to the shop, just don't take it on a holiday before it is done.

Being that the ecu is used, as the system was bought used, it should be kinda close but will need to be done relatively soon.

I was worried about a catastrophic of some sort happening if I were to fire it up and take it for a test ride, or ride it to the shop.
Did the PO use the red key to code the immobilizer on the old ECU? That would be the only gotcha.

·
Registered
119 Posts
dumb question of the day...

So I just received my Termi exhaust that I bought from a member on here and can't wait to get it installed.

Question: It says in the instructions that I need to get the tps reset before I start the bike for the first time after theinstall is complete, is this really the case?

Will there be major repercussions for starting and or riding the bike before having the tps reset? Issues? Concerns? Problems?

Any and all input into this little issue of mine is greatly appreciated.

Thanks and have a great day.
i just got a set of used termi's for a sc 1000 S, that will need to be installed...

1. what is TPS?
2. what would be needed to program/reset the ecu at home? (this time around i'll take it to the dealer...)

thanks in advance...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did the PO use the red key to code the immobilizer on the old ECU? That would be the only gotcha.

Oh right...forgot about that. I unfortunately have no idea if it was done or not. The PO had them installed and removed at a dealer so he does know either.

I guess I will find out when I install everything and try to fire it up. If it does not start then I'll throw it on the trailer and take it to my dealer along with my red key for re-coding.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Oh right...forgot about that. I unfortunately have no idea if it was done or not. The PO had them installed and removed at a dealer so he does know either.

I guess I will find out when I install everything and try to fire it up. If it does not start then I'll throw it on the trailer and take it to my dealer along with my red key for re-coding.
If the PO has immobilised the ECU by his red key.
You can not re-code it by your red key.

A brand new ECU (Virgin one) may be coded only once and forever.

Once you have a coded ECU which can not be fired up, what you have to do is to re-flash it to disable immobliser, or re-virgin it to be brand new status.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the PO has immobilised the ECU by his red key.
You can not re-code it by your red key.

A brand new ECU (Virgin one) may be coded only once and forever.

Once you have a coded ECU which can not be fired up, what you have to do is to re-flash it to disable immobliser, or re-virgin it to be brand new status.
Really didn't want to hear that little bit of information, but thanks.

Let's hope that they did not code it. Where would or could I get it re-flashed?

I may just throw the pipes on and leave everything else for now...damn!

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
i just got a set of used termi's for a sc 1000 S, that will need to be installed...

1. what is TPS?
2. what would be needed to program/reset the ecu at home? (this time around i'll take it to the dealer...)

thanks in advance...
1. Throttle position sensor. It's the gizmo that tells the ECU how far you have the throttle cranked open.

2. You can use DucatiDiag to do the TPS reset. See here: http://www.ducati.ms/forums/40-sport-touring/132923-ducatidiag-wow.html and here: http://www.ducati.ms/forums/77-sport-classic/132916-ducatidiag.html

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Really didn't want to hear that little bit of information, but thanks.

Let's hope that they did not code it. Where would or could I get it re-flashed?

I may just throw the pipes on and leave everything else for now...damn!
There are several vendors and forum supporters that do the reflash if it becomes necessary. Motowheels springs to mind, as well as Houston Superbikes.

BTW, you will know that it's not coded if 1) the bike starts, and 2) the immobilizer light stays on forever. To get the light to turn off, you need to code the ECU with the red key.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you yet again SE84...all of this information is greatly appreciated.

So I think that in the mean time...before I do anything with the ecu I may just throw the pipes on without doing anything else.

I have done the drilled exhaust mod already...soooo...just installing the pipes and not the intake should be similar.

I will sort out the ecu and intake shortly....I need to hear those pipes!

·
Registered
119 Posts
SE84, thanks alot!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Holy Cow!!!!

So I threw the pipes on, just cuz I could...lol.

Wow!!! They sound amazing!!!! This the way that this bike should have sounded from factory. I did put the baffles in after the initial start up...those were a downer.

Now I can't wait to take it out for a ride and listen to the sweet music that comes out of these pipes.

·
Registered
119 Posts
did the some thing with my sc1000 S the sound is sick... just waiting for the airbox top and ECU from the seller... that againSE84

1 - 14 of 14 Posts