Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
ROF
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BLACKBIRDXX said:
I spotted a Termi 2 -into- 1 system on EBAY
I love MY SYSTEM and thought if anyone was thinking along these lines they might want to check this out.

I don't have any connection with the seller what-so-ever!
I also posted on another forum and here is what came back.

"Ahhh, but the REAL question before anybody bids on it: did they bond
the computer to the key?

My tech said that if you don't do the bonding sequence when you first
install it, then it is "unlocked" with the light still blinking(any
key will start it) until you do the sequence, but once you do, that
ECU is dead for any other key."

I will be checking with my shop today to see if this is correct and if so if my shop did this proceedure.

Anyone else out there have any clue?????????????

·
Registered
16 Posts
I emailed the seller and he said that the ecu was not coded. I have to wonder if there is a sequence to coding the ecu though. A new ecu from Ducati is really expensive!!!!

Mike

·
ROF
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guzzied said:
I emailed the seller and he said that the ecu was not coded. I have to wonder if there is a sequence to coding the ecu though. A new ecu from Ducati is really expensive!!!!

Mike
Mike,
I have the Ducati technical documentation for the Paul Smart.
There is a short proceedure for Programming the immobilizer.

"In the event of replacement of one or more components of the immobilizer system (e.g. the black keys, the decoder, or the engine control unit), the parts in question must be programmed."

What is NOT clear to me is if you CAN start your bike using any key if not "BONDED"/programmed as previously stated or if you will NOT be able to start your bike till you go through the "BONDING"/Programming process. What would make sense to me is that you would NOT be able to start your bike unless you have gone through the programming process thus preventing someone from changing out the ECU and starting your bike. :think:

Again, I will talk to the folks at my shop today....

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
Guzzied said:

Mike
You don't need that special key when the new ecu is installed. I know. I forgot to bring mine when I got the pipes changed. They went ahead and installed the new pipes and the new ecu and everything worked fine.

·
ROF
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
geospencer said:
You don't need that special key when the new ecu is installed. I know. I forgot to bring mine when I got the pipes changed. They went ahead and installed the new pipes and the new ecu and everything worked fine.
That's is what happened to me. I think I only had one of the black ignition keys with me when they install my Termi system. I am guessing that the actual immobilizer function that activates the engine start protection system is NOT enabled on my bike! There does NOT seem to be any way of varifying if the immobilizer is functional other then trying to "pick" the ignition lock. It appears as if the amber (Yellow) CODE LIGHT gives the impression everything is okay and that the bikes only security is via the mechanical ignition key function. My service folks did NOT have any documentation related to the Paul Smart when my Termi system was installed. Maybe they used a proceedure for another bike for the programming proceedure. I am just not sure and the tech that did the work is on vacation this week. :(

I have to believe that the mechnical ingnition key function is just that, a key and I could check out my theory by having a physical duplicate key made and trying it out on my bike. If the bike starts then the immobilizer is NOT functioning. If the bike does not start and I get an EOBD indication they maybe the the immobilizer is working.

more later.... my brain hurts..... :think:

·
ROF
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATED INFO re immobilizer programming

Here is what I know about my Paul Smart so far:

I went down to my local key shop, Clydes Key Lock & Safe, and got a key made to operate the mechanical locks, specifically the ignition. The key blank they used was from SILCA of Italy and has the designation KW15BP. I think the locksmith said it was for a Kawasaki.

With the new key they made I was able to engage the ignition lock and get the bike to respond but NOT start. The EOBD light comes on, blinks once and then stays on. This is the amber light at the bottom of the cluster of lights above and between the speedo and tach. I then turned off the bike and keeping the new key in the ignition lock I then put one of my black Ducati keys next to it and went through the starting process again. This time the bike stated right up. I could then move the black Ducati key away from my new key and the bike for that matter and the bike continued to run.

It appears that my bike is programmed!!!!! I am not sure how that happened but I will check with my shop dude when he returns from vacation. They would have had to have programmed the immobilizer function when they put the new Termi system on the bike. I have all the instructions for programming the immobilizer and it does require all three keys that came with the bike.

Now that I have read the instructions for programming the immobilizer I do believe there is a simple way to tell if you immobilizer function has been programmed.

"If any of the components of the immobilizer system have been replaced (e.g. the black keys, the decoder, or the engine control unit), the parts in question must be reprogrammed."

If that is the case then when you "....insert your RED key and put it in the ON postion the isntrument panel multifunction display will show the number of keys inserted ("1" in this case) and start a countdown from 30 to 0......"

If this doesn't happen and everything appears normal then your immobilizer should be programmed as is the case with me. When I put my RED key into the ignition and turn it on the bike behaves normally without any sort of countdown.

NOW, all this begs the question of how does one start their bike if it has NOT been programmed? Maybe you just hit the start button.

I am still trying to figure out if the immobilizer programming is a one-shot (write once) process to the ECU?????

Brain is starting to hurt again... :think:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts