Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the Termi 2:1:

my informed friend advises me "don't get it unless it improves lean angle, IMHO"

Any thoughts on:
1) What does it do to lean angle
2) Does anyone agree/disagree with this statement
3) What is the clearance stock vs termi 2:1 at the point of highest compression in the spring/forks (if that is an appropriate thing to say)

I never even thought of it before, and I'm guessing the answer is that it is absolutely neutral to lean angle. Would love to hear thoughts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Doesn't affect lean angle IMHO. It is a LOT lighter, ten times better looking, pretty sturdy, easy to install, and the baffle goes in and out w/ an allen,so you can sneak out early w/o the neighbors hating you.

·
Registered
197 Posts
curious, just "how loud" is the termi's without the baffles? i might try it but am afraid of incurring the entire neighborhood's wrath on a sunday morning.

drewogatory said:
Doesn't affect lean angle IMHO. It is a LOT lighter, ten times better looking, pretty sturdy, easy to install, and the baffle goes in and out w/ an allen,so you can sneak out early w/o the neighbors hating you.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Not quite your average Harley loud, but def. a ticket in my town. I compromised by drilling a few extra holes in the baffle. I think I added 9 or so.
gave it a throatier sound w/o being too loud.

·
Registered
108 Posts
drewogatory said:
+1

How loud is it???? It will put a smile on your face :D as you ride down the road. That sweet,sweet sound.

Laters
Nutt

·
Registered
197 Posts
thanks for the info. i think i have just found my saturday morning garage project scheduled...;)

drewogatory said:
Not quite your average Harley loud, but def. a ticket in my town. I compromised by drilling a few extra holes in the baffle. I think I added 9 or so.
gave it a throatier sound w/o being too loud.

·
Registered
338 Posts
otterx said:
curious, just "how loud" is the termi's without the baffles? i might try it but am afraid of incurring the entire neighborhood's wrath on a sunday morning.
I haven't tried it yet without the baffle, but I think it sounds great with the baffle and loud enough for my tastes...definitely a much better sound than the stock pipes.

·
Registered
197 Posts
uuhh...at the risk of sounding stoopid...i took a look at my termi's tonight and could not see a way to remove the baffles. :confused: isn't there an easy way to remove it with an allen key? mine look rivited or welded together? the ducati website even says that the baffles can be easily removed.

my '04 monster and this sport classic were the first new bikes i have owned/ridden which were newer than a 1967 in almost 20 years, so these pipe systems are new to me.

am i overlooking the obvious on how to remove the baffles?

·
Registered
222 Posts
if your termi is the 2 into 1 the allen is at 6 o'clock. i can't speak for the 2 into 2's. however if you own the 2 into 1 you NEED to remove the baffle,warm to running temp, and rev,rev, rev. Enjoy.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. Anyone else have an idea on lean angle considerations etc? I've sent a note to Ducati and will post their response.

·
Registered
173 Posts
AM1001 said:
Thanks guys. Anyone else have an idea on lean angle considerations etc? I've sent a note to Ducati and will post their response.
It doesn't look like the 2-to-1 will do anything for lean angle, which, in any case, doesn't seem to be a problem on the Sport 1000 or PS. The system will (in order of importance, IMHO): (1) improve the sound, (2) reduce the weight, (3) increase the power and (4) change the look. The first three are objective improvements, though some might argue that number one is not, while the value of the change in appearance is purely subjective.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Initially, I would agree with MrBeans 100%, that was until we did some time at Infineon a week ago. My son took a turn on the PS and drug the stock cans going into turn four. He almost high sided the bike when the back wheel lost contact with the track surface. I am now seriously considering the Zard option, as I never thought the bike would see lean angles to that degree. As soon as I get the CD from the photog, I will post some pics.

·
Registered
108 Posts
otterx said:
uuhh...at the risk of sounding stoopid...i took a look at my termi's tonight and could not see a way to remove the baffles. :confused: isn't there an easy way to remove it with an allen key? mine look rivited or welded together? the ducati website even says that the baffles can be easily removed.

my '04 monster and this sport classic were the first new bikes i have owned/ridden which were newer than a 1967 in almost 20 years, so these pipe systems are new to me.

am i overlooking the obvious on how to remove the baffles?
My 2-n-1 had a little weld on it. No big deal,I just took the dremel to it. With my #4 hex key "lefty lucy" ;) the bolt came on out. After the hex bolt is out,you will need to pull the baffle on out. Mine was a little tuff to come out. So what I did was used my needle nose vise grips. In the middle of the baffle is a rod,clamp down on it and turn from right to left as you pull and she will slide on out. The baffle has been back in twice,both times was to show some one the difference in sound,both times I was told to leave it OUT :cool: .

FYI, cover the part of the swing arm that is close to the muffler pipe with some cloth. As you pull the old one off it could hit the swing arm,well mine did :eek: !!!!!!

It took me about an hour and a six pack of beer. I had no instruction,was doing it by my self and took my time,hell I used a piece of wood to hold the gas tank up to replace the air book lid!!!

Well I am off to pick up my 41 rear sprocket.

Laters
Nutt

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thx MrBeans.

Bajabob: so this experience was with the stock cans...did the cans actually scrape the ground? Wow. Is it fair to say that one should worry about lean angle as it applies to the can, rather than the pipe from headers? For the termi 2:1 this pipe looks a little lower - that was the concern I had. Which Zards are you talking about, the slip ons (look like stock) or the space craft looking can-under-your-right-foot one? Dying to see those pics!

·
Registered
600 Posts
I had been informed that the head pipe will hit on hard braking into a tight corner by one who has done it. Clearance should be part of the consideration for a replacement pipe.

John

·
Registered
173 Posts
bajabob said:
Initially, I would agree with MrBeans 100%, that was until we did some time at Infineon a week ago. My son took a turn on the PS and drug the stock cans going into turn four. He almost high sided the bike when the back wheel lost contact with the track surface. I am now seriously considering the Zard option, as I never thought the bike would see lean angles to that degree. As soon as I get the CD from the photog, I will post some pics.
Your son's a wildman. Can't wait to see the pic, and I'm glad he avoided the highside.

·
Registered
173 Posts
johnrg said:
I had been informed that the head pipe will hit on hard braking into a tight corner by one who has done it. Clearance should be part of the consideration for a replacement pipe.

John
John,

Was that with the 2-1 Termi or the stock pipe? To me, at least at the front, the Termi header looks lower and more vulnerable than the stock head pipe.

·
Registered
5 Posts
other details

ducnutt said:
My 2-n-1 had a little weld on it. No big deal,I just took the dremel to it. With my #4 hex key "lefty lucy" ;) the bolt came on out. After the hex bolt is out,you will need to pull the baffle on out. Mine was a little tuff to come out. So what I did was used my needle nose vise grips. In the middle of the baffle is a rod,clamp down on it and turn from right to left as you pull and she will slide on out. The baffle has been back in twice,both times was to show some one the difference in sound,both times I was told to leave it OUT :cool: .

FYI, cover the part of the swing arm that is close to the muffler pipe with some cloth. As you pull the old one off it could hit the swing arm,well mine did :eek: !!!!!!

It took me about an hour and a six pack of beer. I had no instruction,was doing it by my self and took my time,hell I used a piece of wood to hold the gas tank up to replace the air book lid!!!

Laters
Nutt
please detail what you did with the O2 sensor, ecu and the little electrical plug that comes with the 2 into 1. Also did you have the dealer set(tune) the ecu? I was under the impression that tuning was required.

Could tell a power difference or just a sound difference?

Thanks

·
Registered
197 Posts
thanks for the detailed description on how to do this. :)

ducnutt said:

Laters
Nutt

·
Registered
5 Posts
baffle removal

I filed thru the little weld on the allen bolt that holds the baffle, nothing to the weld so that was easy, but getting the baffle out was tough. Tried the needle nose thing first, just like you did, but would not come out. Had to use an old slide hammer type bearing puller with internal setting fingers. Luckly they fit the baffle hole and cleared the internal cross rod. Cranked them tight against the baffle side wall and used slide hammer till it worked out. Really a tight fit on mine.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts