Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my bike the PO had removed the db exhaust insert and the bike had a fairly significant bark and wonderful sound! I have run it like that for the last month and unless I am really on the throttle it never seemed that loud. So the other night I decided to put it back in and rode about 50 miles today. I was wrong. It was either really loud before or it is just rally darn quiet now! Also the power seems to be more streetable and mellow with the extra back pressure. Before if I left off the throttle even a little bit with the revs up past 3-4k in 2nd or 3rd the engine braking felt like I grabbed a fist-full of brakes.

Has anyone tested the dbs with and without the insert? Am I imagining the back pressure effect?

I am going to miss the barking sound, but as a good neighbor I think I better leave the insert in...

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I put my db killers in for the first time the other day for a wof, bloody thing sounded like a Briggs and Straton!!

...won't do that again :D

99% of my riding is open road so I like its rev ability (of sorts for a tractor engine), street is two minutes for me til the open road.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
we ran dyno runs with and without db killer inserts some time ago, and posted the dyno charts here in the hypertard forum.

my memory seems to recall that with db killers installed, we saw increase in torque, but loss in hp ... i could be wrong, so do a search to view the dyno charts.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
we ran dyno runs with and without db killer inserts some time ago, and posted the dyno charts here in the hypertard forum.

my memory seems to recall that with db killers installed, we saw increase in torque, but loss in hp ... i could be wrong, so do a search to view the dyno charts.
That would stand to reason john, I reckon mine was slightly smoother at street speed but I prefer the breath-ability for the open road .... and the music :D

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I wouldnt ride the Termi 2-1 with the dBkiller.

That insert is just there for noise issue. The pressure inside the pipe when the dBkiller is on is way too much. Way more than what the pipe can take.

Here's what happen to a HM rider in France, and he's not the only one who had this issue.

First, overheating. This is not a scratch on the sticker...

Then, boom, too much pressure.

The inside parts.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Ummm that ain't right and I'd have to wonder what was up with that...

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
there are plenty of termi 2-1 installations on hypertards in italy that are running the baffle, with no such issues as depicted below.

very unfortunate for that french hypertard owner, and i hope it all got sorted out ... but i am willing to bet that the cause of that slip-on melt down was due to the fuel / air ratio being way, way too lean, either due to a bad DP ECU, a bad map for a PCIII, or running the stock ECU with the exhaust system.

I wouldnt ride the Termi 2-1 with the dBkiller.

That insert is just there for noise issue. The pressure inside the pipe when the dBkiller is on is way too much. Way more than what the pipe can take.

Here's what happen to a HM rider in France, and he's not the only one who had this issue.

First, overheating. This is not a scratch on the sticker...

Then, boom, too much pressure.

The inside parts.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
there are plenty of termi 2-1 installations on hypertards in italy that are running the baffle, with no such issues as depicted below.

very unfortunate for that french hypertard owner, and i hope it all got sorted out ... but i am willing to bet that the cause of that slip-on melt down was due to the fuel / air ratio being way, way too lean, either due to a bad DP ECU, a bad map for a PCIII, or running the stock ECU with the exhaust system.

I'am aware of 2 persons (both french - maybe a french curse) who had teh same issue.
Both where running the full system, including the DP ECU and no PCIII installed.

Both cases were covered with waranty.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would have to bet there is a lot more to that story than just installing the 2 -1 system and then the thing got that hot and blew apart.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
I would have to bet there is a lot more to that story than just installing the 2 -1 system and then the thing got that hot and blew apart.
agreed ... i am going with the "french thing" as the cause ... nobody likes the french ... not even the french themselves :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
not even the french themselves :rolleyes:
True, that's why I ran away from France to Canada :p

nobody likes the french ...
False, I found 2 chicks at the West Side Lounge, in cambridge MA, who bought me beers all evening for having a "cute" french accent.

To talk again about the Termi 2-1 with the dBkiller, i would also blame the french guys for doing something wrong. It's seems pretty odd to blow a pipe like that.
I'm only relating facts that I found on the french Hyper board, and it seems every Ducati Store there recommend not to use the dBkiller.
2 other cases happened in Belgium, after a Ducati dealer prepared 2 bikes for the Dark Dog belgium Tour, both pipes exploded.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
True, that's why I ran away from France to Canada :p
yes, us canadians are a forgiving nation ... we feel sorrow for those not fortunate enough to be english canadian. :rolleyes:

False, I found 2 chicks at the West Side Lounge, in cambridge MA, who bought me beers all evening for having a "cute" french accent.
false on your false ... those women were doing philanthropic work, helping the disadvantaged. :eek:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pierre: "Hey Jacque this thing won't start"
Jacque: "Try that can of ether starter fluid. Just spray some in the airbox"
Pierre: "Where the hell is the airbox on this thing"
Jacque: "I don't know. Just try spraying it in that pipe on the side"
Pierre: (Spray, spray, spray....) "I think that'll do it. Go ahead and try it...."

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Pierre: "Hey Jacque this thing won't start"
Jacque: "Try that can of ether starter fluid. Just spray some in the airbox"
Pierre: "Where the hell is the airbox on this thing"
Jacque: "I don't know. Just try spraying it in that pipe on the side"
Pierre: (Spray, spray, spray....) "I think that'll do it. Go ahead and try it...."
:D

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
It's just my idea of the Termi 2-1, but I beleive it was designed to be used without the insert.
I heard only good things from people I know who are using it without insert.
On the other hand I red bad reviews with pictures to show that the insert is not that much of a great idea.
It makes no sense to me that when you get on your bike a full exhaust line with bigger diameter on your headers, no cat converter and no valve that you would want to muffle it at the end to be a good neighboor.

To be a good neigbhoor, I think the 2-2 would be a much smater choice.

Now go for it, ride it with the dBkiller and I really hope for you that you wont have the same issue as those french and belgium guys.
But those guys, beside the 2-1 DP kit, had stock bikes and were only covered by waranty cause the things were installed at a Ducati dealer.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Is that skinny tube with the slots the db killer? I assume the flow is through the slots and the end is blocked? If so holy crap that must be restrictive. Could there be different db killers for Europe/USA? The LV db killers just neck down the rear of the can slightly, but its still a straight shot out from the pipe. Each one of the duals seems wider than that.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hey, quit bashing the French! They are damn good riders, and really good sailors, too! They know how too eat properly, and their women are sexy as hell. Viva La France!:)

·
Premium Member
12,343 Posts
Good dancers the women are ,,I bought a Montreal Canadiens hat , just so they thought I was a fan.. they ask if I speak French and I say oh yea ,,un duo trois Jacques Plante , Ivan Cornyeah, Mario Lemeau,, They just roll their eyes and my gig is up ....Trabranack,Colleise:D:D:D Better put a smiley face there as not to piss them off too much

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Hey, quit bashing the French! They are damn good riders, and really good sailors, too! They know how too eat properly, and their women are sexy as hell. Viva La France!:)
perhaps ... but there're still french, and must be treated as such:rolleyes:

besides ... italy has it all over france ... better food, better cars and bikes, and molto better fica. wlf!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts