Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be my first venture or experience with a non-japanese sportbike. A local dealer as a '00 748 with 10k on the ticker. Looks clean, but as we all know, that can be decieving. I do know what the "standard" look over is when mulling over used bike choices, but am wondering if there are any Ducati/748 specific portions or parts on the bike that are known to wear out or fail that I should pay particular attention to?

As far as far as pricing goes, the dealer had it listed for $7999, then price cut it to $5999, and come to find out through the local grape vine that the dealer struck a deal with a potential buyer for $4500, but he backed out.

Is that $4500 a realistic/fair price?

·
Premium Member
3,709 Posts
Welcome to the site and some advice: Check the Hall of Wisdom. There's a thread on what to look for. $4500 is realistic, depends on service records, etc.

·
Registered
39 Posts
$4500 for a 00-748 is a pretty fair price. I'd make sure the 6K was done and considering the 12K is due shortly, make sure all proper services were completed.

Here is my experience with my prior 00-748:

- make sure the rectifier/stator combo is in good working order. My rectifier went out and it was a costly repair.

- gas gauge light stopped working

- neutral light stopped working

Aside from those issues, the bike was a joy to own and ride. Lacked powered, but could it corner! :D

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
At $4500, I'd expect the bike to be in mint condition. I just saw a 748 on Craigslist in the Atlanta area for $2500 (not too pretty) and the 748 bikes are very hard pushed to get much of anything over $5500 for any year or condition. Once you go over $5k, you can start looking at the 916/996 bikes and even the 749 models (I missed out on a 2003 999 with 1700 miles for $8k two years ago).

The largest potential issue for concern is flaking chrome on the rockers.....that topic has been beat to death on this forum, though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's kind of what I was thinking. I have seen them go for 3500-4500, but didn't know if those in the bottom of that range were steals or if non ducati enthusiasts try to command top dollar just because it is a Ducati

·
Registered
78 Posts
Having picked up a 748 in may with 2300 miles on it I would say make sure the rockers are checked out first... at 2300 miles I had 5 bad rockers, the belts needed to be changed, and I had to buy a EMS shim kit to adjust the valve clearance once the new rockers were installed. At home it took me 3 weeks to do all of this and a grand in parts alone. Had the dealer done it, BIG BUCKS! That's 4500 can turn into 6500+ really quick...

·
Registered
331 Posts
I can only guess that the one you are looking at is in Chicago, is red, has carbon fenders and a Forza exhaust. As for the price, I have been looking for awhile now, and there have been next to none in the Midwest for under $5k no matter the condition. I am set to pick up a different 748 in Southeastern Wisconsin this weekend for $5k. This one is all stock though, and has had the 6k service done (has 7k on it).

Long story short, $5k doesn't seem like a bad price being that the market is a little dry on them. As for someone saying you could get into a 749 for near the same range...that would be nice, but I have yet to see any under $8k anywhere nearby.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Having picked up a 748 in may with 2300 miles on it I would say make sure the rockers are checked out first... at 2300 miles I had 5 bad rockers, the belts needed to be changed, and I had to buy a EMS shim kit to adjust the valve clearance once the new rockers were installed. At home it took me 3 weeks to do all of this and a grand in parts alone. Had the dealer done it, BIG BUCKS! That's 4500 can turn into 6500+ really quick...
Straight from the horses mouth right there. My 6k cost me $660.00 at letko in Kansas City because I had already changed the belts and replaced all of the fluids amongst other things. Every valve was out of spec but no flaking issues yet. I fully expect to have a flaking issue so you should keep an extra thousand aside for the eventuality. Tell the dealer that and work him for the best price possible. If you want peace of mind that your Ducati does not have costly issues look for a 996. At their lower Max RPM they have less of an issue but they still will need rockers eventually. If I had it all to do over again I would have nothing short of a 998.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is it safe to say that the 996 and 998 are the most "reliable"? Do all superbike models have the same rocker issue?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
The 996 is a desmoquattro. It has the exact same head and valve design as the 748. It has a wider stud spacing to give it more displacement. The 998 is a testastretta. The same head design as the 999. Rocker failures have been reported on the testastretta but I would say that they are significantly less prone to failure than the 996. Failures are few compared to the 748. With replacement of stock rockers with megacycle or MBP rockers failures are decreased to the point of nonexistence in a desmoquattro. That is where the extra thousand dollars comes into play. Once you buy aftermarket rockers you usually do not have to buy them again.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
As much as I love the classic 916 styling, I would never own a Desmoquattro bike. Testastretta all the way. Spend a few more bucks on a 998/749/999. You and your wallet will be happier in the long run.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Get the 998.

Avoid the headache that is also known as the 748.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Boy you have been looking around :) Any particular reason you passed on this one?
Distance. That was the key. I live about 15 min west of Milwaukee just off US 43. The first one I found was the one your looking at. Sounds like the dealer put a lot of money in it. It was on ebay (maybe still is) for mid 4's. I would have been a buyer at that as they said all the services have been done. I ended up finding another one for sale in Kenosha by a private party. After having gone and talked to the owner in person, I would much rather buy from him as he owned the bike since new and had all the service records (plus it only had 7k miles). The owner is also a real nice guy, and he allowed me to pull the clutch cover to take a look at the basket without even hesitating. The tires are a lot newer, and not the old ones on the Chicago bike. They haven't made that version of tire in over 4 years!! That is not a tire I would ride on, so that would be an added expense. That and the Chicago dealer would not take the opening ebay bid price on the bike even though it had no reserve and ended with no bids! Being a dealer employee (not theirs), I know that they need to make money. That is what they are there for...but to not honor a published price made it difficult for me.

A friend of mind came up with a third option for me yesterday morning. Another ebay bike. It was listed as a 748S...but was not after a little digging and looking at the photos. The owner had no clue as he bought it just to buy it a few years ago. Miles were the same as the Kenosha bike, with the 6k being done at a dealer I know well. There are also new tires, an exhaust and the computer has been cracked open. Don't know if it has been tuned yet, but that I will find out today. I ended up picking it up for $3400!! I was more than willing to spend $5k on one of the other two, so now I have money for other things. I scored the bike as he was only looking to pay off the loan on the bike (he paid $6k and put in $1400 in service). Again, private party and one of the nicest guys I have ever come across.

As a dealer employee, I should say be happy with the one in Chicago. But after meeting the guy in Kenosha, I would say take the drive and pick that one up for the $5k. It is bone stock (minus tires and a new chain) with one little scuff on the right passenger peg. The one in Chicago has been repaired, but they went from not knowing how it was damaged to calling it a tip over on the stand after I asked if that is what had happened. The put a new mirror, clutch lever and touched up the bodywork. Just as an FYI of course!

Good luck on your purchase.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts