Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MONSTER 620 2005. Is 200F a normal running temp.?

·
Registered
791 Posts
you run hotter because your bike is aircooled so keep moving. =) but yes, that is standard op temp. my buddies run about 210-220 on average on a hot day.

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
cheech said:
you run hotter because your bike is aircooled so keep moving. =) but yes, that is standard op temp. my buddies run about 210-220 on average on a hot day.
Cheech is right. That's not unusual for the air-cooled engine. Once you get moving it should drop back down into the 180-190 range.

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
geospencer said:
Cheech is right. That's not unusual for the air-cooled engine. Once you get moving it should drop back down into the 180-190 range.
Let me revisit this! :confused: My last two Ducs were water-cooled (998 and S4R) and I didn't ride them all that much in hot weather so I really shouldn't be offering my "expert opinion" on air-cooled bikes.

Anyway, I took my Paul Smart (air-cooled) out today. The temp here is N.C. was in the HIGH 80's. The bike stayed around 220 for most of the ride. I stopped by my BMW/Ducati dealer for an open house and while I was there I talked to the service manager . . . just to make sure that everything was okay. He said not to worry. The bike is fine. As I recall, my old Monster 900 (air-cooled) would get up higher than that on hot days.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Using an infrared temp gun for sensing, my M-900 got up to 245F. This is really not all that hot by oil temp standards.

geospencer said:
Let me revisit this! :confused: My last two Ducs were water-cooled (998 and S4R) and I didn't ride them all that much in hot weather so I really shouldn't be offering my "expert opinion" on air-cooled bikes.

Anyway, I took my Paul Smart (air-cooled) out today. The temp here is N.C. was in the HIGH 80's. The bike stayed around 220 for most of the ride. I stopped by my BMW/Ducati dealer for an open house and while I was there I talked to the service manager . . . just to make sure that everything was okay. He said not to worry. The bike is fine. As I recall, my old Monster 900 (air-cooled) would get up higher than that on hot days.

·
Obsessive/Compulsive collector
326 Posts
Don't forget, (IIRC,) the M620's were air-cooled, with the added benefit of no oil cooler. If it becomes a problem DP offers a retro-fit cooler kit in their catalog. My '00 M900Sie doesn't have an actual numerical temp gauge & the RoadRacing unit I added is bereft of any numbers. I've never hit it with an IR thermometer to test it. I just go on middle of gauge = ok, top of gauge = not ok.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts