Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nice trip yesterday celebrating warm weather. I noticed the display jumping up and down. Four, six and even ten degrees. I was moving along, and the temp sensors were changed to Bosch a year or so ago. Fan does work as I heard it working while parking it in the garage after arriving home. I believe it is supposed to come on at 220°F. Any suggestions as to what to check? Let it go?

I have a spare sensor, and can change the display sensor (front one), but hate 'repair by replacement' efforts.

Possibly, let it idle to verify ECU triggers the fan at the correct temp? I'm just a little puzzled by this affair.

Steve

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
10,376 Posts
Here's one thing to remember: the temp readout gets converted from Celsius. Temperatures usually go up or down by more than one degree Fahrenheit which makes it seem like it jumps.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did some reading of prior threads on point. The possibilities are endless. Corroded connections, weak battery or charging system output, or plug on sensor is wet.

Anyway, I was doing about 85mph and that is when it would happen. Motor was running very well. At that speed I should think the bike was putting out sufficient juice. S

·
Registered
7,426 Posts
Since you already have the sensors you may as well start there, after checking wiring and connections. Jumping around by 10 degrees would usually point to a bad gauge, but always check the free/cheap shit first.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Mine did something similar when you turned on the lights. Turned out to be a weak earth and loom.

·
Registered
7,426 Posts
Good point. Always check your grounds.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
If you want a "constant value" to read, a 220 ohm resistor inserted in place of the readout sender will give you about 207 F.

Then I'd crank her up to the triple digits, and watch the display for fluctuations. Oh, watch the road, too, at those speeds. Anyway, it should not fluctuate. If it does, then check grounds, etc.

Other than that, double check for accuracy with an optical pyrometer - cheap at HFreight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts