Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
There are decent roads from Stockbridge to Hell then back to Dexter too, Mike.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Last Friday and Saturday a friend with a membership here Club Motorsports | Best Track in America
invited me up for a couple of fun days at the motorheads countryclub. It was great fun to ride a new track so close to home with perfect pavement and almost no one else on track for much of it.

Only down side was I am finding a track where my poor little 750 carby is working too hard on one of the sectors, horsepower hill is not a good sign when you only have 60rwhp. :crying: That said as I get more comfortable with the track and my speed increases I started to find a point to have the throttle pinned open and not have the rpms dropping as I climb the hill...lol This bike still has many lessons for me to learn.

That said it was a little frustrating being towed around by a aprilia RSV4 factory with 3 times the Rwhp as he couldnt understand why I would be with him until he opened the throttle. ..lol

Oh and I almost forgot to add a highlight was getting a ride in a factory five cobra for a few laps. I am not a car guy but that 302 was singing and sounded as beautiful as any other motor I love.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just commuting on the Multistrada. 900 is still in pieces in the shop, hoping I'll have more free time to work on it after this week is over.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Last Friday and Saturday a friend with a membership here Club Motorsports | Best Track in America
invited me up for a couple of fun days at the motorheads countryclub. It was great fun to ride a new track so close to home with perfect pavement and almost no one else on track for much of it.

Only down side was I am finding a track where my poor little 750 carby is working too hard on one of the sectors, horsepower hill is not a good sign when you only have 60rwhp. :crying: That said as I get more comfortable with the track and my speed increases I started to find a point to have the throttle pinned open and not have the rpms dropping as I climb the hill...lol This bike still has many lessons for me to learn.

That said it was a little frustrating being towed around by a aprilia RSV4 factory with 3 times the Rwhp as he couldnt understand why I would be with him until he opened the throttle. ..lol

Oh and I almost forgot to add a highlight was getting a ride in a factory five cobra for a few laps. I am not a car guy but that 302 was singing and sounded as beautiful as any other motor I love.
Sounds like you're proving the truth of the saying "It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow". :)

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
last ride ...

Got in a 93 mile ride this morning before it got too hot here in STL. Went on some two lane, no center line, roads in the woods and hills to the southwest. Little traffic, one litter brigade picking up trash with police cars lights going at each end. Saw a couple of dozen m/c and bicyclists doing the same thing I was doing, enjoying the ride. A couple of stretches of new blacktop, roads in fairly good repair for the most part.

Fred

Reactions: ifly65

·
Super Moderator
5,598 Posts
granted I'm still in the honeymoon phase, but yesterday's "get to 600 mile service before track day" ride was quite grin inducing, haven't felt that way in quite a while. around 11am, weaving (not too stupidly) through moderate traffic on I-95, just love being able to just get where I wanna be instantly with just a faint twist of throttle, so much pull from 75-105 (oops), reminds me of what I missed after selling my pikes peak. OK, no tickets...not pushing my luck.:)

·
Registered
110 Posts
My last ride occurred over the 4th of July holiday weekend, 2,314 miles round trip on my xDiavel S. Road from Salem Oregon to Porter Ranch California using Hwy 101 and Hwy-1 mostly. I used my GoPro to document as much of the trip as possible. And would upload the videos each night as I traveled.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL84mEhOXrksT-Q27Yjk5e3hfY8eicn6B3

This is one of my fav roads in northern cal. Hwy 1 northbound from ft Bragg to 101. Skip forward to the 4 min mark if you want to skip past the warmup traffic to where I get open roads to ride.

Enjoy!

Current:’18 xDiavel S, ‘18 1100 Sport
Sold: 16 Scrambler Icon, ‘15 Monster 1200, ‘14 Diavel Strada, ‘12 Monster 1100evo, ‘09 Monster 1100, ‘08 NM Hypermotard #7

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
My last ride was June 28. Just commuting 100 mile round trip on the Interstate.

June 30 I was in a car accident (my fault) where my car was totaled with my daughter in the car. Airbags blown, minor injury for me alone from the airbag, etc. Everyone basically walked away shaken but unhurt.

Haven't been on any of the bikes since, physically no issue. Mentally is a different matter. The violence of that hit has me thinking about what it would have been like, not if I repeated my role while riding but if the other guy had been on a bike. More specifically if it was me on a bike in the same situation. Would have been a fatality, no question.

I replaced my car with the same model, I know for a fact they can take a hit.

I find myself questioning what I could have done differently, but more importantly taking a hard look if my vision (night, peripheral) and reaction time means I am endangering myself as I age.

If I ride again (I probably will as the memory fades and rationalization & prior fatalistic reasoning are utilized), she will never ride with me again.

·
Registered
28 Posts
20 minute ride home in the rain after work yesterday. Before that about a 200 mile trip the Saturday before, all country back roads!

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I sure hope it wasn't my last ride.

My most recent ride was my usual Sunday loop via mostly 2 lane roads and minimal slab.
Up to Acton and back again, for a total of a little over 100 miles. If it's not at least 100 miles it does not feel like a "real" ride. :grin2:

I have some other local routes too. Want to do a longer multi day trip sooner than later.
Need to plan, I guess. 0:)

·
Registered
577 Posts
I must be one of the few that finds the 999 comfortable over distance. Some mountain, coastal and slab on the ride this morning, the roads were hot & sticky, ambient 35c with very little traffic. >:)

I had a buyer with cash in hand last month, don't know what I was thinking, so happy I changed my mind. :grin2:

Attachments

·
Señor Member
8,201 Posts
I have a friend that shipped his big GS from his home in North Carolina to here in SoCal and will be riding it home on Wednesday. Today a couple of us joined him to take it out around here as a warm up for his ride home. Made it up Little Tujunga Canyon Road, then to Santa Clarita and Palmdale before heading back home. A total of 240 miles and it was a bit hot.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
Work Commute. Sadly, not been riding as much as I should. The last commute was on the R1200Rallye, great bike! Around here I can do 15-20 MPH over Limits, as it looks ... slow. Haven't really ridden my Duc in ... 20-22 months. I may just make an art project of it. Time will tell!

Reactions: Tripod

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
I replaced my car with the same model, I know for a fact they can take a hit.
Glad you folks are O.K., and walked away from it.

If you don't mind me asking, what were you driving?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Made it up Little Tujunga Canyon Road, then to Santa Clarita and Palmdale before heading back home. A total of 240 miles and it was a bit hot.

Those are some of my favorite roads. Seems the Sheriff has been patrolling a bit more in Sunday around Acton. yesterday there was a sheriff black and white by the New Acton Market. Then going along Aliso Canyon passed a forest ranger green SUV that just said Law Enforcement on it. Of course being a buzzkill they had to follow me at the 45 slow MPH speed limit all the way to the other end of the road. Grumble.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Glad you folks are O.K., and walked away from it.

If you don't mind me asking, what were you driving?
BMW 4-series Coupe. My daughter will probably learn to drive using it and get it in 18 months when she has her DL.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
ride....

Even being in a Mercedes-Benz could not save Princess Diana. Gotta wear the seatbelt....

Fred

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
most recent ride...

Got out this morning for a couple hours, southwest of STL, two lane. Fairly quiet, not much traffic, no one waved but me. Took some roads I haven't been on in a while. Always nice to feel the torque of my SS, I guess that is what I love about it....115 miles out and back.

Fred

21 - 40 of 63 Posts