Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out this morning for two hours, 80 degrees F when I left the house @ 9am. A short outing of 78 miles, and back by 11am & 88 degrees F, with 53% humidity.

Wanted to see how my new extended footpeg felt and it is a big improvement. Much more comfortable. Most all the others M/C riders waved, a dozen or so bicyclists got passed.

Get out and ride you Ducati, that is what they are made for....

Fred

·
Registered
944 Posts
My last ride was last Saturday. Rode over to Sonoma to meet my riding buddies for lunch. Left the house around 10:00AM for a noon meeting. Probably a bad idea.

Left the house it was around 78 degrees out. Took the back road over to Napa which worked out well. 29 to 121 wasn't horrible. Then, 121 came to a sudden stop about a mile in.

NASCAR raced at Sonoma Raceway last weekend so traffic was just....horrific...well, maybe not quite horrific but it was still pretty piss poor. I only needed to take 121 for around a 2 miles until I could pick up the turn off to Sonoma. Even then, it took me a total of an hour and 45 minutes to get to Sonoma. That's normally a 30 minute maximum trip.

Had lunch with the guys and rolled towards home at around 3:00 PM. Took the same trip on the return so I could at least enjoy a few curves on the mountain road. Got home around 5:00 PM in 102 degree heat. I couldn't tell you what the humidity was...it was just freakin' hot. I was miserable, even in mesh gear.

Grand total in mileage? around 90 miles. Ridden on my 996 as my 900 Supersport is still in pieces in my garage.........sean

·
Registered
456 Posts
Rode home and back to work both Wed & Thurs, it's only 50 miles round trip but thats the first 100 miles I have put on this bike, still trying to dial the carbs in but I am getting close --I'll have an update on Tuesday--I made some changes yesterday-(Sat) and it was pouring rain so didnt have a chance to test ride.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Saturday....155 mi round trip out to Montauk Point on Long Island, NY abusing my 900SS/SP with 35k on the clock. Weather so nice out there...mid 70's with a cool breeze. Hiked some of the little trails around the point to stretch out some.

Legendary, terrible Hamptons summer traffic was a drag, though anticipated, I knew it going in, choosing to take the main highway out and back. I do this yearly, otherwise using mostly all back roads.

Anyways...4 1/2 hours found me home before noon following an early start.

Not bad for a 67 YO retired bum, eh?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
I just pulled in from ~100 miles on the far west side of Portland - Timber Road, 47, Scappoose-Vernonia Highway, 30, McNamee, Skyline and Thompson roads. It's a classic canyon-carving loop around these parts.

I was on the 2017 Supersport shaking down some recent changes and practicing body position, though I regularly ride this loop on the '94 900SS too.

https://a.rever.co/rides/1362035

·
Registered
206 Posts
Went out this morning for two hours, 80 degrees F when I left the house @ 9am. A short outing of 78 miles, and back by 11am & 88 degrees F, with 53% humidity.

Wanted to see how my new extended footpeg felt and it is a big improvement. Much more comfortable. Most all the others M/C riders waved, a dozen or so bicyclists got passed.

Get out and ride you Ducati, that is what they are made for....

Fred
Thanks to you Fred, I rode to work the other day for the second time, worry free. It was in the 80s with no humidity, which as you know is rare for this time of year where we live. I rode about 60 miles. Your carb re-build is perfect.

·
Premium Member
2,482 Posts
Made the most of a (mostly) not raining winters day, and did my 'Ride Video' (thread here somewhere) ride - 100 mile round trip up 'my road' and back. Dodged the rain both ways, but had patchy roads, with it being quite wet on the shaded parts of the road. Sadly visiting a mates mum and another mate, both with the big C. :(

Kinda chilly at 16C in the daytime, and about 10C returning at night - which is rather warm for this time of year.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just pulled in from ~100 miles on the far west side of Portland - Timber Road, 47, Scappoose-Vernonia Highway, 30, McNamee, Skyline and Thompson roads. It's a classic canyon-carving loop around these parts.

I was on the 2017 Supersport shaking down some recent changes and practicing body position, though I regularly ride this loop on the '94 900SS too.

https://a.rever.co/rides/1362035

Dang that looks like a sweet loop and I know all those roads except just driving for work. I'm going to have to keep that in mind for trip with a buddy of mine and make the short trip up from Salem. I did did get to go for a short scoot with my favorite passenger today though so it was all good. Dammit I still haven't figured why my photos come up sideways.

Attachments

·
Señor Member
8,050 Posts
The only recent ride was on my GT yesterday to Southern California Motorsport’s Royal Enfield 650 twin release demo ride. It was quite warm and rode in a group of about ten with most fairly new riders. They asked us to ride staggered two abreast and the guy ahead of me to the right made a wide right hander, and very slow. That was enough for me, I backed way off and followed them back to the dealer, got on my bike and went home.

Attachments

·
Señor Member
8,050 Posts
So, how'd you like the 650 Twin?

Looks to be a big seller for them.
I’d seen them at the motorcycle show and thought the engine looks a bit bulky but considering it’s a twin no wonder. The ride was smooth and plenty powerful especially compared to my single. And like mine, there is a top heavy feel to it. I rode the new GT and the only difference I could notice between it and the other were the seat and bars.

When I got home my GF asked if I was considering getting the new GT. I told her there are only two twins I’d even consider getting right now, the Triumph Thruxton or the Norton Commando.

·
Registered
456 Posts
If your talking about the new Norton Commando it is a sweet bike. One of my customers has one that I work on when needed and he does not care if I put miles on it -so I do lol.

·
Señor Member
8,050 Posts
If your talking about the new Norton Commando it is a sweet bike. One of my customers has one that I work on when needed and he does not care if I put miles on it -so I do lol.
Indeed, the new Commando is very appealing to me. I also have a 1972 Norton Commando Interstate needing restoration. I'm hoping to have it up and running in a year's time.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
I rode my 996 115 miles yesterday around the Ozark hills. Ran great, if not a bit warm, but then don't all the 9x6 bikes run a bit warm? Really, the only annoying thing was riding up on either Harleys or SUVs in the hills. I ran my favorite section of roads a couple of times. It was a great ride that I am still thinking about this morning.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Rode 200 miles on the 999R and couldn’t wait to unmount the freaking thing, my knees and back were not happy :laugh:
I feel your pain! Last week I took the 999S for 200+ mile ride in my backyard Sierra Twisties. It was a perfect 75 degree day above 5000 ft elevation. I've done this loop many times on all three bikes in the stable-96 900 SS/SP,05 999S and Triumph Tiger 955i.

999S by far the least comfortable however leaves the biggest grin on mug!

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
I feel your pain! Last week I took the 999S for 200+ mile ride in my backyard Sierra Twisties. It was a perfect 75 degree day above 5000 ft elevation. I've done this loop many times on all three bikes in the stable-96 900 SS/SP,05 999S and Triumph Tiger 955i.

999S by far the least comfortable however leaves the biggest grin on mug!
Of course 70 of those 200 miles were freeway getting to and from the twisties. That's the part that really kills my back and knees.

·
Average Weird Guy.
1,170 Posts
Last ride was this past Saturday Fred. My 900SS is still in a million pieces so I took my RC51 out.
Played a little game of "alphabet soup." Here in southeastern Wisconsin that means you avoid the numbered interstate highways and stick to the twisty turny alphabet lettered back country roads.

Recently installed a new high mount GPR Albus exhaust system on the bike. Used to have a low mount c/f and titanium Sato Racing exhaust on it but someone hit the bike,and then drove off,at a gas station while I was inside paying for the gas and destroyed the left side pipe.
I've got a PC5 with an auto-tune module installed so right now I'm just running the bike through different gears and engine loads to let the auto-tuner do it's thing.

Did 250 miles. Was 90 degrees with around 70 percent humidity,so in other words it was a hot sticky ride. Was tiring but I still enjoyed the hell out of it. The RC51 is an old heavy diesel but man I just love the mid-range torque delivery of that bike.

I retired 3 of my favorite Shoei Pascal Picotte Joker helmets last year because the head liners wore out and aren't replaceable so I've been evaluating a new HJC RPHA Mike Wazowski helmet.
The helmet has a pin lock visor on it and I got my grubby mitts on a Yellow pin lock visor insert. I use Yellow visors on my Shoei's because they work equally well for both daytime and nighttime riding.
The HJC Yellow visor is slightly darker than the Yellow Shoei visors that I use so my ride was day into night to check the viability of the visor for nighttime riding.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Ride

I wanted to try out some different roads for the next group ride so I started off on the route that getsa me to the twistier roads and wouldnt you know it!!! Theres a detour!
So I said to myself.."you wanted to see where this road goes for a while so..."
Thats what I did!
Best.Decision.EVER!!
I ended up on Norvel Rd...through Wolf Lake,then to I-94....West on 94 to Elm Street where I visited with my RC friends paracticing IMAC scale Aerobatics...these planes typically use 100-200cc twin cylinder engines in 35% to 42% scale aerobatic airframes...BITCHIN!!
After I left there I took Sergent Rd. to Mt Hope Rd. and then into Stockbridge..what a treat that was..!!
I Dont generally go more than 10 over when I ride as I am on the street and prefer to respect the neighbors....Plus I hadnt ridden thru most of these areas before so I was cautious/prudent.
No slow Harleys to fuck up the corner speeds...No cars/trucks to fuck up the corner speeds...
Weather was warm but not so hot you would sweat...
Put on 180 Miles...and when I returned home the lawn was ready for me to mow!
I also got some shop time in reassembling the 900 SS
Mike S

1 - 20 of 45 Posts