Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With this new bike that I'm getting and with as many track days as I'm racking up, and considering that racing is something I'm tossing around...

Race tires are something that are becoming a viable option for me...not to mention the bike I'm getting is coming with a set already on them. With race tires comes a need for tire warmers...

However, it seems that learning about tire warmers is a bit of a blind subject.

Anyone care to chime in with some good info on what to look for, what to stay away from, any recomended brands or nonrecomended brands? I'm gathering that Chicken Hawk comes very highly recomended.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I now know which tires people recomend for track use WITHOUT tire warmers, and which generators people recomend FOR tire warmers, I know that someone was SELLING a pair of tire warmers, I now know of some suggestions on how to USE tire warmers, I also know of a rear huger for a 999R that will CLEAR tire warmers, but I'm still no where near closer to knowing the details about the differences and what things to look for on tire warmers.

Thanks!

Now, does anyone actually have any information on my actual questions?:rolleyes:

C

·
0 Posts
You wrap them around your tires and they heat the surface of the tread. Some have temp switches, some have adjustable thermostats, some have digital readouts, and the good ones are expensive. Some fit under your fender, some draw a lot of power, and you get what you pay for...other than that, this ain't rocket science. Chicken Hawks are great.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow....thanks guys....

·
Banned
1,152 Posts
If this is too close to promotion of my forum I apologize and if you let me know I'll nuke the post but there is a decent amount of info on tire warmers from racers who use them at forums.13x.com, gotta use the search function again :)

·
Registered
1,177 Posts

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
I now know which tires people recomend for track use WITHOUT tire warmers, and which generators people recomend FOR tire warmers, I know that someone was SELLING a pair of tire warmers, I now know of some suggestions on how to USE tire warmers, I also know of a rear huger for a 999R that will CLEAR tire warmers, but I'm still no where near closer to knowing the details about the differences and what things to look for on tire warmers.
Most tire warmers are made in China. For example, the Sumomoto ones I use to have, were pretty much identical to the Chickenhawks I currently have. They're not complex things, but very time consuming to manufacture, so thats why they're all built over seas. I also think there is a glue used in the process that is illegal here in the states to use.

What this means is quite simple, no matter what brand you buy, even woodcraft, you're bound to get a similar product for the same price range. Sure, there are REALLY bad cheap ones, but even the "motogp" brand ones are identical to the chickenhawks for less money.

The use of tire warmers really makes the decision for you. If your a full-time racer, ya need something good that won't fail all the time and thats adjustable. When your racing, you wanna keep the tires warm for extended periods of time on a low setting (more then 40 min). This way, they sustain the same temp at all times, which helps prevent a full heat cycle from occurring. Also, if your bike is in the direct sun, that can also damage tires, so the warmers help protect that a bit. Then, before you go out to race, you click the switch and heat them up to full temp, right as you take them off and get on the track. This way, on your first lap, you can go 90% and heat the tires up the rest of the way. A good example of that is sunday at the track, I went out and my first lap was at almost 100%, not a single tire slide...

For anyone, I recommend buying the "racer" ones, with adjustability, nothing wrong with that. But most people go with the cheaper ones that are non-adjustable. This way, in between sessions you keep them on the warmers for 40 min or less and your safe. The only problem with that is; the last thing you wanna do is "bake" your tires, that removes all the oil pretty quick and next thing you know, they're toast. So buying warmers that get really hot, is stupid as well. Some of the cheap ones have no insulation and get so hot, it can physically melt the tires! So thats why I personally recommend not buying the cheap ones.

Finally, some manufacturers have resorted to making warmers that perform differently. The woodcraft ones have a tighter web of heating elements in them. This causes the tires to be more evenly heated. The only catch is, the elements themselves are thinner, causing them to melt quicker, so failure rates are higher. Also, the goal is not only to heat the surface of the tire, but to also heat up the air inside the tire and the carcass. So having even heating is important, but not as important as you'd expect. I've done lots of testing and sure my made in china chicken hawks arn't the best, but they do the job fine.

What's the best warmer? Well, they're almost all made in China, they all serve the same purpose. There are ones that are BAD; pretty much anything under $250 is bad. Anything over $350 is usually pretty decent. So instead of going by brand, go by price... Don't buy them used!!! Tire warmers have a limited life expectancy. They do wear out and eventually cause burn marks and can easily fail due to shorting out. All of my racing buddies have gone through lots of warmers, I've gone through 2 sets myself, though they were covered under warranty.

Buy NEW... Buy a recommended brand... (lists of them above) and enjoy!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Most tire warmers are made in China. For example, the Sumomoto ones I use to have, were pretty much identical to the Chickenhawks I currently have. They're not complex things, but very time consuming to manufacture, so thats why they're all built over seas. I also think there is a glue used in the process that is illegal here in the states to use.

What this means is quite simple, no matter what brand you buy, even woodcraft, you're bound to get a similar product for the same price range. Sure, there are REALLY bad cheap ones, but even the "motogp" brand ones are identical to the chickenhawks for less money.

The use of tire warmers really makes the decision for you. If your a full-time racer, ya need something good that won't fail all the time and thats adjustable. When your racing, you wanna keep the tires warm for extended periods of time on a low setting (more then 40 min). This way, they sustain the same temp at all times, which helps prevent a full heat cycle from occurring. Also, if your bike is in the direct sun, that can also damage tires, so the warmers help protect that a bit. Then, before you go out to race, you click the switch and heat them up to full temp, right as you take them off and get on the track. This way, on your first lap, you can go 90% and heat the tires up the rest of the way. A good example of that is sunday at the track, I went out and my first lap was at almost 100%, not a single tire slide...

For anyone, I recommend buying the "racer" ones, with adjustability, nothing wrong with that. But most people go with the cheaper ones that are non-adjustable. This way, in between sessions you keep them on the warmers for 40 min or less and your safe. The only problem with that is; the last thing you wanna do is "bake" your tires, that removes all the oil pretty quick and next thing you know, they're toast. So buying warmers that get really hot, is stupid as well. Some of the cheap ones have no insulation and get so hot, it can physically melt the tires! So thats why I personally recommend not buying the cheap ones.

Finally, some manufacturers have resorted to making warmers that perform differently. The woodcraft ones have a tighter web of heating elements in them. This causes the tires to be more evenly heated. The only catch is, the elements themselves are thinner, causing them to melt quicker, so failure rates are higher. Also, the goal is not only to heat the surface of the tire, but to also heat up the air inside the tire and the carcass. So having even heating is important, but not as important as you'd expect. I've done lots of testing and sure my made in china chicken hawks arn't the best, but they do the job fine.

What's the best warmer? Well, they're almost all made in China, they all serve the same purpose. There are ones that are BAD; pretty much anything under $250 is bad. Anything over $350 is usually pretty decent. So instead of going by brand, go by price... Don't buy them used!!! Tire warmers have a limited life expectancy. They do wear out and eventually cause burn marks and can easily fail due to shorting out. All of my racing buddies have gone through lots of warmers, I've gone through 2 sets myself, though they were covered under warranty.

Buy NEW... Buy a recommended brand... (lists of them above) and enjoy!
Tye - once again, you've provided a wealth of valuable information. This is precisely the kind of information I was hoping for. Your opinions have brought up some really good points and are ones worth considering for sure. I'm deeply appreciative!

·
Registered
444 Posts
i have chickenhawks and they work pretty well. only issue i have is that either the switches or tags are on backwards, meaning that the low setting is really high and high is really low. took me a little while to figure it out. they still work, but it's poor qc and i'd look at other brands down the road.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
i have chickenhawks and they work pretty well. only issue i have is that either the switches or tags are on backwards, meaning that the low setting is really high and high is really low. took me a little while to figure it out. they still work, but it's poor qc and i'd look at other brands down the road.
Yea, woops! My front is correct, my rear is backwards. Gotta love Chinese ingenuity! :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 19 of 19 Posts