Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just doing some homework before bolting things back together. After installing some JE pistons and cleaning up a whole lot of carbon build up on the valves and cylinder head (the old pistons rings had failed, hence the upgrade) I am getting ready to put everything back together. With the piston at TDC do I just have the timing mark on the cam pulley aligned with the little nub on the rubber cam shroud? Just thinking out loud here (so to speak), do I need to compare the valve position on the other cylinder to make sure that one is closed for compression and the other is open for exhaust? Right now only the vertical piston is being done. The horizontal hasn't been touched since I didn't want to mix up any parts.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Don't worry about aligning valves when reassembling - just make sure they are in the closed position when putting the heads back on. Do the same for the other cylinder. Then when you are ready to install the belts, line up all the marks (yes, the nub on the belt shrouds and the dimple on the cam belt pulley are the alignment markings). The front (horizontal) cylinder will be at TDC, but the rear (vert) cylinder is not. However, they will be in the correct position. The marks automatically set the intake/exhaust positions on the 900ss'. Note: the vert cyl belt pulley doesn't stay put when aligned since the valves are not closed at this position. It is slight pain to get the belt put on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts