Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I've done this multiple times on my 996. Now I have a 999. Replacing the belts....
1. pull plugs, remove belt covers
2. Use tool to turn the crank until the horizontal cylinder is at TDC. Marks on the pulleys point straight and down across from where the valve cover meets the top of the head. One up and one pointing down.
3. At the same time the dot on the crank pulley points to the slash/line on the case. No problem, perfect every time on the 996.

1. When the dot on the crank pulley lines up with the case line my thin wooden dowel in the spark plug hole rises up and confirms the piston is also at TDC.
However, the dots on the outer two pulleys (intake/exhaust) DO NOT line up where the valve cover meets the head (intake straight up and exhaust straight down) Off by about three belt teeth?????? ,SEE PICTURES.

Can I conclude that the horizontal intake and exhaust pulleys are NOT where they are supposed to be????? and one up and one down. Thanks.... wanted to ask before I decided to move them into the "correct" position.

Attachments

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
NEVER MIND!!!! I just watched a California Cyckeworks video on it..... Testastretta vs Desmoquattro motors.... The dots on the intake and exhaust pulleys Do Not line up at TDC on the Testa motor... really.... Live and learn.

Reactions: draganc
1 - 4 of 4 Posts