Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a tcip4 programmable ignition via pc for my 900ss to replace the stock ignition modules. I have not got a chance to install it. I read a few article stating the base set are pretty good does any one have any tips or ignition maps

·
Registered
80 Posts
Do a search at the ducatimonster.org forum. I remember quite a long thread of some blokes doing a full investigation of how it actually works and behaves. From what i recall, a lot of posts had to do with the amount of iginition advance that you can set in the program versus the measured actual advance. Have fun and let us know how you like it. I'm considering buying it because I want to install a 944 HC kit which might require a different ignition advance.

Johno

·
Registered
207 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I copied a few maps for different views on curves I did see greenmonster posts in the discussion about the unit. I bought the unit from kris kelly. I'm in the process of doing the top end with the h.c. pistons it seem like a great unit I can use to adjust the timing to to compensate for any pinging issues. The early post of the unit seemed like there where having a problem with timing stablity at idle but from what I read it's more of setting the base adv. in respect the idle rpm. I will post more results after the install from what I've read it seems to product 2-3 hp when adjusted right I'll try to get a few dyno reading to compare the stock modules vs. ignitiontech sparker4

·
Registered
136 Posts
>>The early post of the unit seemed like there where having a problem with timing stablity at idle but from what I read it's more of setting the base adv. in respect the idle rpm. <<

I was the early tester w unsteady idle.
Got advice to try various restance to cool down pickup signal.
Ignitech soon afterwards intergrated resistance in their module so problem should be solved.
Base adv is more involved in starting.

Do share dyno tests if you can.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
That is the way it looks to me. The base advance can be used for initial cranking speed advance or idle advance and cranking depending on your map I think I am going to try to use it for cranking so it's a little easier on the starter the map would be something like this up to 3500 rpm

base adv. 3
700-8 1100-6 1800-10 2500-18 3500-28

I still have to put the top end in flywheel on
as in one of the other post form the monster forum suggested I am trying to give it more timing cold until it gets to normal idle to help with the flywheel also I read something about the max adv. being somewhere around 33-34 deg. it seems if you adv. the pickups 4 deg. adv. and set the base adv. at 0 deg. the base would really be 4 deg. adv. which would get you 4 deg. more on your max adv.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I mimic'd Chris' map on my bike, but ended up with 7 deg at idle. It idles much better, and the engine speed doesn't hang like it did with 3 deg. I used a timing light at idle, and there was about a 4 deg difference between cylinders. I hear that is not uncommon. V2 sells adjustable cam pulleys to correct this. They might be my next purchase.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have base adv 9 & 10 up to 1500RPM. Pretty good but not perfect.
All bikes seems to be individuals.
Keep the numbers/maps coming, it will help us all.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
any good ideas on mounting for a 900ss I have to mount dyna coils also maybe I'll make a new bracket for the coils and tcip4 putting the coils all the way to the left

·
Registered
350 Posts
any good ideas on mounting for a 900ss I have to mount dyna coils also maybe I'll make a new bracket for the coils and tcip4 putting the coils all the way to the left
I have the dyna coils as well. I put the module inside the airbox. I pulled the evap crap off, and ran wires to the left side of the airbox. I put inline connectors, so I could pull the airbox off.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
that's a good idea in the air box I got mine from chris kelly I was going to call him to see if he sells a extended harness to move the module to the storage area under the seat but the air box is my next choice great air flow

·
Registered
350 Posts
I had to make my own harness because I was converting an FI engine with 48X crank sensor to carb. I believe that if you are just updating the ign of an FI or Carb bike you can get a dedicated harness.

Be careful of the connector clips that fold over the pins. they are wimpy.

When I get a chance soon (I'm out of town this weekend) I'll post some pics. And my final map. If you are playing with your map, then be careful of over advancing the engine. When the engine loses it's deep throaty sound, and starts to sound "tinny" (how do you describe these sounds accurately?) then you are too advanced. Early sounds of pre ignition can be hard to detect. The pings occur way later.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for posting your map I have a few from different sites I finally get time to work on the topend this weekend hope to try mine soon

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just got her back together. Piston are in squish is set at .043 & .045 no base gasket valve set at closers .00025 openers .0035 nichols flywheel is a snap to install 30-45 mins. ignitiontech sparker installation was too easy I just need to break in the rings before I whack the throttle to see what she really got now. I started and rode it easy a couple of miles with each mod just to see the difference. When I started it with the ignition it did not sound right with the base map so I installed chris kellys latist map and it sounded normal again I rode it about 50 miles no idle issues cold or warm or low speed it does seem to vibrate more at lower rpm when under a good load with the flywheel. The revs. are a lot quicker I am having to short shift it to keep the rpms down it's hard to do it revs that much faster and it like rpm I can't wait for her to show me all she got.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I did 2 rides on 39 to gmr to baldy 1 ride pinged a little 3000 to 4200 seem to be at lite throttle still not really push it yet the rest seem good pulled the timing back from 2800-5000 alittle 2 day did the same run it got better still pings though and seem to have more power and less vibration in that area was going down the hwy about 87mph rolled on it hard top gear and 5th gear she ping at about 5000 I did not hold it on so babied home so I can put another map curve in so I can try it again seem like I'm having to pull the timing back alot I need to check the timing mark at TDC with a piston stop and check the ignition timing with a light this is the map curve I used

1 ride
base adv 3

rpm/adv
800-3 1200-4 1600-6 2200-10 2800-16 3200-23 4000-28 4800-32 6800-34 9000-34

2 ride
base adv. 3

800-3 1200-4 1600-6 2200-10 2800-16 3200-19 4000-25 4800-30 6800-34 9000-34

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I for got to mention it could be crappy gas it was shell at a station that was a hole in the wall I don't know how long it was there it's not the kind of station that would move premium fuel don't knows how old it was

1 - 20 of 20 Posts