Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks ok now , I made a right dogs arse of the first attempt as it was on its side stand & i was rushing before going to work. Luckily i had,nt stuck it hard onto the tank. I had to stick 1 piece at a time then
Left the ventureshield underneath as a second line of defence, TBH i cant see it lasting long it sticks out awfully far, as i think it is real carbon with gel over it, a matter of time before the zip rips it off i reckon.
Can see a motographix one getting put on.

Attachments

·
Registered
465 Posts
Looks ok now , I made a right dogs arse of the first attempt as it was on its side stand & i was rushing before going to work. Luckily i had,nt stuck it hard onto the tank. I had to stick 1 piece at a time then
Left the ventureshield underneath as a second line of defence, TBH i cant see it lasting long it sticks out awfully far, as i think it is real carbon with gel over it, a matter of time before the zip rips it off i reckon.
Can see a motographix one getting put on.
I went with the clear one.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Hey guys I called my dealer today and they quoted me $60 for the Ducati carbon tank pad. Does that seem right??? My 1098 one was only $25.

·
Registered
96 Posts
60 bucks is what I paid. Seems like they really getting us for SF specific parts. I ordered the tail bag at 200 bucks. Ouch.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I Just used some of the clear 3m film I bought in bulk some years ago, wet it and squeegeed it on, can barely see it's there.

Chris

·
Registered
118 Posts
I went with the clear one.
Does the pad offer any grabbiness? I'd like to be able to lock in a bit better at the knees, especially at the track--I'm sliding forward way too easily. So I was thinking of putting a clear pad on the sides, or at least part of one.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Does the pad offer any grabbiness? I'd like to be able to lock in a bit better at the knees, especially at the track--I'm sliding forward way too easily. So I was thinking of putting a clear pad on the sides, or at least part of one.

Any suggestions?
How about Tankslappers?

·
Registered
118 Posts
How about Tankslappers?
I'll look at them.

Of course I broke rule 1 by not searching. Found a good thread on stompgrips and such.

Will try to buy and fit some asap. Would also like grabbier foot pegs..Jack

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'll look at them.

Of course I broke rule 1 by not searching. Found a good thread on stompgrips and such.

Will try to buy and fit some asap. Would also like grabbier foot pegs..Jack
Stompgrips work well - I had them on my R6, and for hanging off they are great. Of course they look like hell. After a while the glue just goes south in hot weather, and you start to get slippage. FWIW, I started with clear ones on my black bike, but the black ones I replaced them with looked MUCH better.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Stompgrips work well - I had them on my R6, and for hanging off they are great. Of course they look like hell. After a while the glue just goes south in hot weather, and you start to get slippage. FWIW, I started with clear ones on my black bike, but the black ones I replaced them with looked MUCH better.
Ah..good advice. I'll go with black. I see that cyclegear has them on their website and will call tomorrow. I'm assuming I can get any config and cut and shape to suit--is that what you did or did you get the universal kit?

Heat in Austin is intense so I can see them coming unglued..

·
Registered
206 Posts
Ah..good advice. I'll go with black. I see that cyclegear has them on their website and will call tomorrow. I'm assuming I can get any config and cut and shape to suit--is that what you did or did you get the universal kit?

Heat in Austin is intense so I can see them coming unglued..
I got the R6 specific ones - stuff for the R6 is pretty ubiquitous. For the SF I would assume you'd get the big universal kit and cut to fit. What I'd probably do is get some heavy kraft paper and trace a template from the tank, cut it out and then trace it onto the paper sides of the stompgrips and cut them out (being careful to flip the template so you get mirror image pieces) Then if I remember right, Stompgrips tells you to heat the material up with a heat gun or hairdryer, peel back a bit of the paper and carefully smooth on the material. Just be aware it's really hard to get it on straight, so you might want to mark out the margins on the tank with some painters tape or something like that. Once they're on, pressed down, and the bubbles squeezed out, you're supposed to let them "cure" for at least 24 hours. So if you have a track day coming up make sure you get them on a few days in advance.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
I got the R6 specific ones - stuff for the R6 is pretty ubiquitous. For the SF I would assume you'd get the big universal kit and cut to fit. What I'd probably do is get some heavy kraft paper and trace a template from the tank, cut it out and then trace it onto the paper sides of the stompgrips and cut them out (being careful to flip the template so you get mirror image pieces) Then if I remember right, Stompgrips tells you to heat the material up with a heat gun or hairdryer, peel back a bit of the paper and carefully smooth on the material. Just be aware it's really hard to get it on straight, so you might want to mark out the margins on the tank with some painters tape or something like that. Once they're on, pressed down, and the bubbles squeezed out, you're supposed to let them "cure" for at least 24 hours. So if you have a track day coming up make sure you get them on a few days in advance.
Get a mix of 50/50 water and denatured alcohol, wet the life out of the tank and position the sticker on it, slide it around and such. When you have it where you want it, hold it in place with one hand and squegee the water out, the mix of alcohol and water is better than mix with soap bc the alcohol dries way faster. At least that's what I usually do with anything sticky and it works like a charm! Cheers!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts