Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
So far all Ducati models ( and other manufacturers ) with plastic tanks have issues with the tanks swelling from the ethanol in the fuel and I believe the Diavel has the same problem.

Noticed this a few days ago, that large gap with the actual tank showing was not there a few weeks ago, compared it also to a friends bike ( carbon red) and his is still fine.

Was hoping it would not happen on the Diavel but..........

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It raises the tank cover and therefor exposes the actual grey plastic tank between the edge of the tank cover and the seat.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
and that's why i don't use ethanol blends. on any bike.
Gas without added corn is hard to find in SoCal - and that is why I traded in my otherwise beloved S4RS for a Ducati with an aluminum tank, and why all three of my remaining bikes have metal tanks. :eek:

·
Registered
104 Posts
You would think someone would make an aluminum tank for the various Duc bikes. I'm sure they could sell a slew of them on here...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Ducati is really having a mess with all these tanks. Some have been replaced more than once.

·
Registered
83 Posts
no one sells non ethanol here in ontario, I would pay well for a carbon fuel cell, that fits well and holds more fuel (removing carbon canister), just saying. Even a replacement aluminium, would have to be light, and hopefully hold a little more fuel

·
Registered
36 Posts
I not experiencing the same prob but my emergency (or what ever they call) igintion buttom under the display doesnt work well. I've taken the tank off and when you push the button, everything works. I have a feeling that my tank might be disorted and the tank cover button is not making full contact. Going to take it to the deal before the warranty exp

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
There is a website: Puregas.com, to find ethanol free fuel in your area. Coating the inside of your plastic tank can work if a good job is done. Alloy tanks are really expensive, but the only sure cure for tank expansion. California Cycle Works has a plastic tank that doesn’t swell, but can’t be painted. Bottom line, there is no easy fix. The better the fix, the more it costs.

·
Registered
18 Posts
There is a website: Puregas.com, to find ethanol free fuel in your area. Coating the inside of your plastic tank can work if a good job is done. Alloy tanks are really expensive, but the only sure cure for tank expansion. California Cycle Works has a plastic tank that doesn’t swell, but can’t be painted. Bottom line, there is no easy fix. The better the fix, the more it costs.
I've been checking that site for some time now: the only option for non-ethanol in RI is those Sunoco race gas pails.

I can switch to that if it is necessary, but shit it would be a bitch to get gas.

Do you by any chance know if the 899 has a plastic or metal tank?

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
Knock on it. I don’t know that I’ve ever heard of a tank swelling issue with an 899. You may be worrying needlessly.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts