Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tank is expanded on my 2007 biposto. To my knowledge there is very little rippling or cosmetic issues due to the expansion. I have never seen a new tank in person though. The tank is expanded. Almost coming out of the pucks and I can't lock out the handlebars without hitting the hand controls against the sides of the tank.

I live near a dealer in Villa Park IL. All I want is a new tank so I can get it Caswell or 3M coated. Are the dealerships being more cooperative with owners after the lawsuit? I know they were using a shim kit at one point.

I read the details of the lawsuit and they stress the cosmetic issue for the need of a replacement. I don't understand. Isn't function (being able to turn) more important than some ripples on the tank?

If there isn't obvious rippling am I going to have to settle for a shim kit? If that is the case I might try and accelerate more expansion and hope for rippling so I can get a tank without going back and forth with the service manager.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Have you taken the bike to the dealership yet? They usually will take pics and either order a shim kit or a whole tank depending on how bad the spread and rippling is. I took mine in several months ago and mine was so bad they kept the bike for safety reasons and got me a replacement tank. Then they Caswell coated it.... so far so good! GOO LUCK!

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
It varies from dealer to dealer how agressive/responsive the dealer wants to be. some report no help from their dealer, mine was very responsive, so you wont really know unless someone else uses your same dealer.

good luck.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I purchased my bike about a month ago and went immediately to my dealer for a replacement tank. He reported "No, these tanks are not being replaced" and sent me on my way. To be fair, he also said there's only one other Sport Classic in town so they don't work on them often. We also have PURE fuel available so I assume that other owner didn't have an issue.

I called the law firm that performed the class action. They have a line directly to a person who is supposed to deal with the tank issue and whether or not your tank can be replaced. Turns out my dealer had the wrong information. He "was using an older system to check recalls and the class action wasn't listed in it." I was. in fact, supposed to get a tank replacement.

Fast forward a week, my dealer calls me back and says to bring it in for a replacement. Apparently, the law firm called DNA and threatened breach of the class action. Then, the head of DNA called my dealer and chewed him out for giving me the wrong information. Woops... I just wanted a new tank.

In the end, all I did was snap a few pictures of my forks hitting the tank along with my VIN and emailed them to the Ducati mechanic processing my replacement. Now I'm just waiting for it to come from Italy so I can have that bad boy coated and installed.

·
Registered
50 Posts
One of the St. Louis dealers took pictures and had a new tank approved within two days. They were pretty understanding about me getting the tank caswell coated but were not allowed to condone it. He was a little skeptical about me not leaving the bike when I picked up the tank to ship to JC Pak Bikes since I don't think they get credited till ducati receives the warped one. It arrived in north hollywood friday and Im waiting to hear when its done and ready to be shipped back. Pretty painless so far. If your dealer starts jerking you around, I suggest finding a new one. Good luck.

·
Motorbike Junky
654 Posts
Nope, the deadline is 18 months from the class action suit, which was in February.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm sorry, could you clarify? 18 months plus 5 years after delivery date? Or 18 months after the lawsuit if your 5 years have already expired?

Cheers!
SJ
You're covered. It's 18 months after Feb. 14, 2012. From the lawsuit:

For expansion problems that are not purely cosmetic, the extended warranty will cover repairs for the longer of 6 years from the original sale date or until 18 months after February 14, 2012, whichever provides longer coverage for a particular motorcycle.
For purely cosmetic issues:

...the extended warranty will cover repairs for the longer of 5 years from the original sale date or until 18 months after February 14, 2012.
Edit:

Attorneys that filed the suit:

http://www.girardgibbs.com/case/22/ducati/

Contact information if you need clarity or have questions:

If you have questions about the Ducati Fuel Tank Settlement or wish to discuss a new matter, please call (866) 981-4800 or fill in the contact form on the right to speak to one of our consumer attorneys.

·
Registered
40 Posts
hey guys, I'm a new ducati owner and I took my real first ride out on my sport 1000 today. After riding I was giving the bike a check over and notice that the gas tank was a little loose. On the right side the rubber stopper looks like it was coming off the holder. I came online and google that shit right away and that lead me here.

After further investigation it seems that this lawsuit is only applicable to the US and duacti dealers here in Canada are shrugging their shoulders and saying too bad. There's no extended warranty or anything. I was floored.

Just a heads up for other Canadians up here who are having the same problem. Maybe we should start our own lawsuit to get some much needed attention.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Just a heads up for other Canadians up here who are having the same problem. Maybe we should start our own lawsuit to get some much needed attention.
The lawsuit in the states was worth what I paid for it...nothing. Good luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Similar to BaitedHook, I just bought a 2008 SportClassic GT1000, but I was unaware of this tank-spreading issue prior to purchase. If I'm reading this thread correctly, it sounds like I should take my bike to my local Ducati dealership and ask them to replace the tank pursuant to the February class-action decision. Correct? I appreciate any guidance that the board can provide.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have absolutely no evidence indicating that my tank is spreading. Frankly, I couldn't be happier with the bike. I bought a 2008 GT1000 with 218 miles on it two weeks ago (I know... I was extremely lucky) but I'm concerned that this tank spreading nonsense might arise for me after the claim window closes. I love this bike and plan on riding it into the ground, and I just want to know if I should start expressing some concerns with my local dealer sooner rather than later.

Thanks for the message, by the way.

·
Motorbike Junky
654 Posts
The way it works, you have 18 months from February to submit a claim. The claim takes all of 5 minutes; they take some pictures, write some notes, and that's pretty much it. Then it gets submitted to Ducati NA, and they'll determine whether or not to replace the tank.

You definitely want to wait until your tank starts showing signs of expansion, otherwise the dealer will probably not even bother submitting a claim. Since it takes such a short time to do, you have plenty of time to wait and see.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Either way, i'd take pictures of the rubber stoppers and the brackets. Measure that shit too. GP bikes up here is offering to order larger brackets for me because my spreading isn't that bad. I'm keeping an eye on it now and doing the preventative things other members have posted about. Shell 91 for no ethanol and marine stablizer.

I also saw that some members have ordered off ebay replacement tanks from italy. I'm thinking of picking one up and 3M coating it.

There's also the other option that seems to work for some and that is empty the tank, and then hang it for a while and it seems to go back to the original shape. I don't know if this works or not but if they're not replacing your tank, why not?

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
They also halved the price of new tanks recently so if you end up buying one out of pocket, they are around $900 now (cheaper than those ones from Italian EBay I believe)

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I have absolutely no evidence indicating that my tank is spreading. Frankly, I couldn't be happier with the bike. I bought a 2008 GT1000 with 218 miles on it two weeks ago (I know... I was extremely lucky) but I'm concerned that this tank spreading nonsense might arise for me after the claim window closes. I love this bike and plan on riding it into the ground, and I just want to know if I should start expressing some concerns with my local dealer sooner rather than later.

Thanks for the message, by the way.
If it hasn't spread, contact JC and have it coated then forget about it. You are in SoCal so it should be a slam dunk for you.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Caswell coating

If it hasn't spread, contact JC and have it coated then forget about it. You are in SoCal so it should be a slam dunk for you.
+1 ON WHAT SPYVITO SAID. Had mine coated a little over a year ago by JC and no spreading problems here.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts