Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Are you having problems with your tank?

• Yes, I am having problems with my tank.

Votes: 368 66.7%
  • No, I am not having problems with my tank.

Votes: 184 33.3%

Tank Problems - Yes or No

178K views 1K replies 254 participants last post by  mopgcw 
#1 · (Edited)
Let us know if you are having tank problems.

I voted already. I have not had any tank problems so far. For the record, my Paul Smart does not have many miles on it and it stays in a heated garage. I don't know if that makes any difference.

#236 ·
Well Guys, I have to reverse my earlier vote of no problems with my gas tank !!!!! I just took mine to the dealer today and left it for , hopefully, a new tank. I returned home yesterday from a nice long ride and while admiring and cleaning her up I thought I'd take a look up front to see what all the fuss is about with these gas tanks......Yikes !!!! Oh no, mine too !!! Bigger that crap the right front side was off the frame rubber mount by the width of a 12" ruler !!! And it sure had a lot of cross-ways movement....not good !!! So, I get to join the ranks.......I only have 2100 miles on my '07. It's not even a year old. Glad I have the two year warranty. I'm interested to see what Ducati NA will do for me and my bike. :( :( :(

#237 ·
One more dump question.....

My tank has a Paul Smart signature. I then had it clear coated to protect the signature (not cheap). Since that time I have noticed the dimples and ripples everyone has talked about (not sure I have the dreaded spreading issue). I am guessing I am SOL on any replacement from DNA, since they could claim the clear coat caused the defect ???? And if they did replace the tank wonder if I could buy back my tank ???

#238 ·
My tank has a Paul Smart signature. I then had it clear coated to protect the signature (not cheap). Since that time I have noticed the dimples and ripples everyone has talked about (not sure I have the dreaded spreading issue). I am guessing I am SOL on any replacement from DNA, since they could claim the clear coat caused the defect ???? And if they did replace the tank wonder if I could buy back my tank ???
That sucks. Maybe you could make a deal with them to keep the signature.

#239 ·
I spoke with a Ducati rep today who told me that DNA is sending as many tanks back to Italy as possible, and that Ducati is doing testing to see what it is about the ethanol that's causing the tanks to spread. He also told me that the 5 year emissions warranty covers the tanks. I ordered a new tank yesterday.

#241 ·
Hi all,

I don't have a sport classic yet but stopped by a dealership sat. to look at an 07 GT. When I asked about the problem with tank spreading, he said they had it happen to the first 3 bikes they sold. He claimed that the fuel system was pressurized so high that the quick release hose clamps inside the tank would "float open" and cause the deformity. He says that all GT's have the hose clamps replaced as part of their dealer prep and they have not seen the problem reoccur.
Not sure if this is legit or not but since I had been keeping up with this thread I was surprised to hear that a dealer knew of it and apparently had solved a problem that DNA has not been able to.

What say ye??

Hector
98 TBS
07 GT1000(hopefully soon)

#244 ·
Hi all,

I don't have a sport classic yet but stopped by a dealership sat. to look at an 07 GT. When I asked about the problem with tank spreading, he said they had it happen to the first 3 bikes they sold. He claimed that the fuel system was pressurized so high that the quick release hose clamps inside the tank would "float open" and cause the deformity. He says that all GT's have the hose clamps replaced as part of their dealer prep and they have not seen the problem reoccur.
Not sure if this is legit or not but since I had been keeping up with this thread I was surprised to hear that a dealer knew of it and apparently had solved a problem that DNA has not been able to.

What say ye??

Hector
98 TBS
07 GT1000(hopefully soon)
That's a new one on me. :confused: Yes, the hose clamps on some bikes came off but I have never heard about a tank that would "float open". :abduct: What in the world does that mean? :confused:

If the hose comes off the fuel pump the bike shuts down but that isn't going to pressurize the tank.

#243 ·
It will never cease to amaze me the ignorance we get to hear coming out of employees representing dealers. I know the sales guy on the floor might not know all the inner working of a motorcycle and accept that, but then they should not tell people lies as if they know what they're talking about. How on earth would an external rubber fuel line clamp cause a valve to stay open and pressurize a vented tank? :think:

#246 ·
The impression I got was that the fuel line in question was inside the tank. I beleive he said the fuel pump operated at 40psi (my assumption was the fuel pump was in the tank), and that under high pressure the fuel line clamps "floated open" causing the entire tank to become pressurized and caused the deformity.
If this is not the case I am a little bummed. They made me a good deal on an 07 GT demo but I was out of town. Would hate to have to drive 4 1/2 hours to handle issues like tank replacement.
Anyway, sorry if that was off base...

Hector
98 TBS
???

#247 ·
The impression I got was that the fuel line in question was inside the tank. I beleive he said the fuel pump operated at 40psi (my assumption was the fuel pump was in the tank), and that under high pressure the fuel line clamps "floated open" causing the entire tank to become pressurized and caused the deformity.
Bogus!!!

Yes, the fuel line and fuel pump are inside the tank. Yes, in the past, some of the hoses have come off. But as GTRossi pointed out, the tank is vented. The tank is not going to deform by pressure because pressure doesn't build up inside the tank. Furthermore, if the fuel hose comes loose from the pump then the bike shuts down. The fuel pump will stop pumping. Again, no pumping = no pressure.

IMHO, you might see this as a good omen because if this dealer is that dumb you don't want to deal with him anyway. The next BS thing that he tries to tell you might cost you a lot of money.

In the very small chance that he is telling you the truth, ask him to show you a service bulletin stating the same. I'll bet it won't happen.

#248 ·
I believe that ethanol is the main culprit of the tank spreading problem. I also want to state that I am aware that as far as an owner of a '09 GT1000, most of the other members have more knowledge and experience owning a GT, but I have to tell you that I do have a pressure problem with my tank that has lead to minor spreading of my tank. (PLEASE, no insulting replies) I have rectified the problem by leaving the GT in my garage with the tank cap left open. Call me crazy, but there is a pressure problem; I think it is exasperated by ethanol!

#251 ·
Ethanol is most likely the cause of the tank spreading problem and may even be what is causing the fuel pump hoses to soften up and disconnect inside the tank.
I hadn't thought of that but you may be on to something.

Ethanol is causing havoc in the world of boating. There are hundreds of thousands of plastic tanks on the water and those tanks and the hoses that go from the tanks to the outboard motors are starting to fail. :eek:

#253 ·
Guys, I honestly don't think that ethanol in the gas is the cause. I live in an area that if there is anything added to the gas that it must be marked on the pump with that info. I only use Sunoco, BP or Shell in my GT and none of these pumps have ever had any such markings. Unless they have changed this regulation without my knowledge, I have never used any gas with ethanol. In fact, I've left gas stations marked with the ethanol signs and rode to other stations without. Now I have used Sta-Bil in my tank for winter storage........in fact, I've used Sta-Bil for years in everything I own for winter lay-up and never had any problems in anything with a gas tank or container. The Kid

#261 ·
WOW great work. I don't mention this often, but I happen to be an attorney in NJ. I called the law firm in California handling the class action suit. I asked the attorney whether he was aware that ethanol may be the cause of damage to many motorcycle tanks. He was quite interested in the information. I gave him my email address. He or someone from his firm will be contacting me in the near future. Maybe the answer is a class action suit against the gas co's?

#262 ·
Yes, I just discovered my gas tank has spread considerably at the front where it mounts to the frame as I mentioned in my prior reply. I asked my dealer about the notice being required on our gas station pumps and his answer was, yes, they are supposed to be posted if any fuel being sold has any substance added. I guess I need to go to the state office that controls this and confirm it for sure. The Kid

#263 ·
Even if the cause is the ethanol added by the oil companies, isn't it the responsibility of the vehicle manufacturer to ensure that the tank will withstand the fuel mixtures that are available to run the engine, provided they receive enough lead-time to make the manufacturing adjustments? I just hope this gets solved soon. Has there been any news about the investigation by the NHSTA? I figure it would be up to Ducati and other manufacturers to sue the oil companies for reinbursement, but we need to press Ducati for a solution. Any news at all?

#264 ·
Part of the problem for MFRs is that Ethanol was an ad-hoc solution to the problem of MTBE poisoning the groundwater. http://www.epa.gov/mtbe/water.htm

It's well known that if you intend to run a vehicle on Ethanol, that you need to change out rubber and plastic components so that they won't degrade. Mixtures such as E85 are more of a gray area.

The cause here is that Ethanol was substituted for MTBE once people found out what MTBE could do when it leeched into the groundwater from spills at stations. Corn-conscious legislators then pushed, along with CARB and the EPA to phase out MTBE in favor of Ethanol, in some states, but not others.

The crux of the issue is that some places still use MTBE, and others use Ethanol. The mixture is not a constant, depending on the EPA and CARB regs, and is usually mixed at delivery, further varying the percentage.

So, if you are a manufacturer, your gas tank or fuel lines may hold up to 10 or 15% ethanol mixture, but fail at 18%, on a part that probably was designed for MTBE in the first place. E85 is supposed to be up to 15% Ethanol, but you can't be too sure if it isn't precisely measured.

The take-away for MFRs is that the should either plan for a greater percentage of Ethanol in the future, or make the parts Ethanol-safe to begin with.

#266 ·
Thanks for reminding us about the Ethanol substituted for MTBE.

The cause here is that Ethanol was substituted for MTBE once people found out what MTBE could do when it leeched into the groundwater from spills at stations. Corn-conscious legislators then pushed, along with CARB and the EPA to phase out MTBE in favor of Ethanol.

The crux of the issue is that some places still use MTBE, and others use Ethanol.
I'm not sure but I think that Ethanol which is substituted for MTBE does not have to be listed at the pump. In other words, you think you are getting pure gasoline but you aren't. (Actually you never get pure gasoline.)

The mixture is not a constant, depending on the EPA and CARB regs, and is usually mixed at delivery, further varying the percentage.
I have a nephew who drives a fuel delivery truck in Indiana. He told me that the Ethanol is dumped into his tank truck at the same time they are adding gasoline. He said that it is a very unscientific measurement and the percentage of Ethanol could vary greatly from load to load.

#267 · (Edited)
I'm sorry, you are correct. The Flex-Fuel vehicles can run up to E85.

Normal gas now is E10 or E15.

Sorry for the confusion.

I'm not sure but I think that Ethanol which is substituted for MTBE does not have to be listed at the pump. In other words, you think you are getting pure gasoline but you aren't. (Actually you never get pure gasoline.)
In CA the pump needs to say "This fuel may contain Ethanol" or some such. But, it doesn't list the percentage, which is derived from a table that CARB has for which areas need more oxygenation.

Also sourced this from the wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasohol#E15

"E15 contains 15% ethanol and 85% gasoline. This is generally the highest ratio of ethanol to gasoline that is possible to use in vehicles recommended by auto manufacturers to run on E10 in the US, though it is possible that many vehicles can handle higher mixtures without trouble."

This could also mean that E10 was the target for these parts, and at E15 they fail. Without some scientific way to test the Ethanol theory, it's still all conjecture.

#268 ·
tanks and ethanol

I e-mailed DNA about the spreading/dimpling tank on my Smart 1000, and the rep replied that I should go to the dealer to have the problem documented. The entire fuel system is covered by a 5-year warranty under EPA rules, because the fuel system is where emissions come from. Owners whose dealers confirm that they have the fuel tank woes will get a new tank from Ducati. I also filed a report with NHTSA, the agency responible for vehicle recalls/repairs, to make sure the ball keeps rolling.

Before taking my bike in to the dealer, I plan to wait until I know that DNA has got some new tanks made out of something other than the apparently ethanol-intolerant polymer our tanks are. Getting another ethanol-intolerant tank from the current Ducati parts inventory would not be the solution.

My '02 Triumph Speed Triple has a rotomolded polymer fuel tank and it has always been fine with the fuel that's available---so it can be done. Or they could make one from stamped steel. Kind of an amazing thing for the engineers in Italy to have overlooked when they ordered the Sport Classic tanks from their supplier, Acerbis.

I love my Smart 1000, and look forward to this tank problem being history.

#270 ·
Got my GT-1000 back yesterday after new tank installed. Now seeing what a "good" tank looks like, I realize that my tank was spreading for some time before it spread to the point where it was no longer anchored to the frame. Mainly I now notice the space around the key/ignition is much larger & more uniform than it had been on my bike for over 1 year. I have a small rope keychain attached to my iginition key & after 1st year of ownership the rope was always getting trapped in the space b/t ignition & tank but I thought nothing of it. Now, there is such a nice gap that the same rope has pleanty of room to move. I also feel like that the leg cut-outs are also larger & feel more roomy compared to old "spead" tank.

It was a beautiful day in NY yeaterday, so it was the 1st day of the year that I got a chance to ride a bit. I forgot how many complements one gets on a Sport Classic -at almost every stop light I was getting positive feedback (thumbs up, "beatiful bike", etc.).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.