Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Are you having problems with your tank?

• Yes, I am having problems with my tank.

Votes: 366 66.8%
  • No, I am not having problems with my tank.

Votes: 182 33.2%

• Total voters
141 - 160 of 1129 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Good news...

NHTSA just contacted me directly to setup an inspection of the tank on my Paul Smart. An inspector is flying out from Washingon DC to take a look at it next Tuesday.

It looks like NHTSA is serious about this problem. If anyone else on the board has heard from NHTSA post here.

F*ck*n Great! (Using the Illinois Gov's language)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Went by me new dealer (Hattar) today as my old dealer (Moto Meccanica) is out of business and after talking about it and writing up a new warranty claim he said DNA is aware of it and working on a fix for future tanks. He was thinking some kind of coating in the production process? Seems to be localized to the good 'ol USA and our quality oxgenated gas. And then it is not all plastic tanks. A few Multistradas and even Aprillia tanks have succumbed to the dreaded spreading.
New tank installed today by Hattar. Forgot to get the build date of the new tank so will wait and see if it happens again.

·
Registered
41 Posts
NHTSA just contacted me today too. he was interested if my tank had any fuel
leaks, dimples or paint bubbles, which it does not. I only have the spreading issue on
my tank (2nd tank). he wanted the ducuti.ms website info and said he would
visit the forum and all its tank spreading threads.
he didn't have much to say. sounded like he wanted to get as much info
as he can from the forum and its polls taken. so far so good from all the
effort from everyone. although, he didn't say he was flying out to see my bike...

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
I voted no problem with my tank, but I do now have a tank with a problem. I have a GT tank with two small pimples in it. No leaks though.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I also voted no problem, but now have found that it's separated on the right side and can lift up an inch or two.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would almost rather get no reply than a form letter that does not even reference my complaint. Just adding my 2p, PS1000LE bought in June '08 2500mi. Started dimpling in August, downright ugly now. Tank mounts a little loose, but not horrible. Dimples are 2 where top of tank meets front, each about a silver dollar in size.
I've contacted dealership (Eastside Motorsports in Seattle area) and am awaiting response.
UPDATE: Through Moto Corsa in Portland, OR; DNA has agreed to replace my tank at no cost to me even though I am out of warranty. I'll be dropping it off this weekend. Hurray!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Garth did your inspector make it to your place this week to see your tank?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Another problem tank

Mine's a '07 GT1000, purchased April 07, 7500 miles in lower Michigan.
Kept in garage at all times when not on the road.
The tank has been shimmed twice, once by me, once by dealer.
Haven't got a width dimension but will check and report.
Now seeing beginning of wrinkling on forward right top corner.
My dealer acknowledged the problem and claimed he could get a new one if it got bad enough. (not a clear definition on "bad enough")

·
Registered
635 Posts
My dealer acknowledged the problem and claimed he could get a new one if it got bad enough. (not a clear definition on "bad enough")
It doesn't cost him Ducati is covering it heck Ducati pays him for the work done. Ask him if only a year after buying his brand new car the door wouldn't shut right because it started to deform so he had to drive wondering if the door would pop open ..... would he expect it to be replaced. Or does it need to fall off the car first?

The tank has spread deformed and you can now visually see it too. Thats enough I'd say. Ducati knows its a problem. We don't know what there solution is going to be...... they probably don't know yet either. But its a plastic tank they haven't minded replacing other peoples... and more than once on some. Go give your dealer a kind nudge. I can understand his waiting while all it had done is spread a little but you can see structural deforming now.

ITS TIME

Sorry I'm getting tired of the dealers that don't seem afraid to turn to the factory to ask for a bike to be fixed. This has been showing such a huge difference between the good dealers and the bad dealers. And I think that the good dealers and the factory have been pretty stand up folks about it. Man have some of your guys dealers made me even happier than I already was with mine!

Though I wish the factory could give us some sort of I don't know at least acknowledgment that even if they don't have a solution that they are trying to decide on one.

Thats all I'd like to know for now.

OK stepping off the soap box for today! :D

·
Registered
341 Posts
Good news today from Ducati NA. Without going into details about my particular case, Ducati will be covering these tanks for the five year EPA warranty. They are aware of the problem and trying to fix it. They asked for patience while the tanks were being re-engineered. I am sure they will be releasing an official statement soon. According to them, this problem is unique to North America and is a result of the gas tank chemistry as mandated by the EPA. (I have no idea if the EPA really does mandate the tank material or not but they can have their "out" if they are willing to fix my bike.) Apparently US reps are in Italy as we speak trying to remedy this problem with factory assistance.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Good news today from Ducati NA. Without going into details about my particular case, Ducati will be covering these tanks for the five year EPA warranty. ................

Apparently US reps are in Italy as we speak trying to remedy this problem with factory assistance.

Geez I get on a soap box and there goes 3-D with just what I was hoping for. That gives me a nice warm fuzzy! :p

Told ya the Factory and some of our dealers seemed to be good folks.

Now if we can just straighten out the half of the dealers! :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
Good news today from Ducati NA. Without going into details about my particular case, Ducati will be covering these tanks for the five year EPA warranty. They are aware of the problem and trying to fix it. They asked for patience while the tanks were being re-engineered. I am sure they will be releasing an official statement soon. According to them, this problem is unique to North America and is a result of the gas tank chemistry as mandated by the EPA. (I have no idea if the EPA really does mandate the tank material or not but they can have their "out" if they are willing to fix my bike.) Apparently US reps are in Italy as we speak trying to remedy this problem with factory assistance.
That IS good news! So far my tank is fine but I have been concerned because the bike is out of warranty. Now I can relax a bit. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Suggestion for the Duc factory

I suggest the folks at Ducati ring these guys up (http://www.moto-works.jp/beater/index.html) and get us a nice aluminum replacement. Fully painted and to the exact same dimensions as the originals of course.

Heck they already make a MH900e replacement!

·
Registered
262 Posts
I suggest the folks at Ducati ring these guys up (http://www.moto-works.jp/beater/index.html) and get us a nice aluminum replacement. Fully painted and to the exact same dimensions as the originals of course.

Heck they already make a MH900e replacement!
Make mine with another gallon capacity please. It can be far between stations up in the hills of NorCal

141 - 160 of 1129 Posts