Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Are you having problems with your tank?

• Yes, I am having problems with my tank.

Votes: 366 66.8%
  • No, I am not having problems with my tank.

Votes: 182 33.2%

• Total voters
121 - 140 of 1129 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
I wish I could vote twice in this. My bike has it's 2nd replacement tank on order from Ducati. First replacement came last Feb, so it's not something that they have found a fix for yet. At least they are taking care of it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 06 Sport Classic was purchased new as a leftover in May of 2008. I have only put 710 miles on it to date (due to foot injury not choice). I noticed tank spread problem when I installed the new airbox with the 2-1 Termis set-up. Shortly after, I also noticed a wave had developed on the top of the tank from the fill cap towards the front left corner. Brought it to Advanced Motorsports in Alvarado for an evaluation and needless to say they ordered a new tank right away. Thanks to Ducati.ms I was on the lookout for this problem but have little confidence that my replacement tank will hold up much better if they haven't addressed the problem.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Since the start of our survey, I have sent 3 request to DNA on this problem. I have not received a response yet. That leaves us two conclusions: Ducati is feverishly working on a metal tank replacement for US market or they don't really care. Luckily, it's a great bike that I will ride if I have to Duc tape it to the frame.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I used the template on page 12 and sent the email.

Ducati has to know about this problem by now. And if they do i find it hard to believe they would just ignore the problem. I think they are working on resolving the issue. Maybe i'm naive. My bike is currently at the dealer getting a new tank. Tomorrow it will have been there 2 weeks and they are terrible about calling me back. They sure are taking their time switching a tank. Right now i look at it as free storage which in new york i'm sure is at least $150/month. They can keep my bike there all winter for all i care.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Got a response from Ducati.
Seems like a from email
Hope they do pass it on to DNA

"
thank you for your message.

Wiith regard to your e-mail we kindly invite you to keep in touch with your official Ducati Dealer who, with the collaboration of our Subsidiary Ducati North America, who reads us in copy, will be able to give you assistance in the matter.

We would also take the opportunity to ask you if you are interested in giving your consent to your personal data processing by Ducati for its commercial initiatives (promotional, commercial and information activities, sending advertising materials, direct sale, marketing researches, researches on consumer practices) according to the Italian Legislative Decree no. 196 of 30 June 2003 - Personal Data Protection Code. Providing your consent is voluntary, but necessary to receive these information. A detailed informative is available on the website www.ducati.com.

Thank you very much for your cooperation.
Best regards,"

ELENA

Customer Service
Ducati Motor Holding Spa
Borgo Panigale - Italy
"

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would almost rather get no reply than a form letter that does not even reference my complaint. Just adding my 2p, PS1000LE bought in June '08 2500mi. Started dimpling in August, downright ugly now. Tank mounts a little loose, but not horrible. Dimples are 2 where top of tank meets front, each about a silver dollar in size.
I've contacted dealership (Eastside Motorsports in Seattle area) and am awaiting response.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Got a response from Ducati.
Seems like a from email
Hope they do pass it on to DNA

"
thank you for your message.

Wiith regard to your e-mail we kindly invite you to keep in touch with your official Ducati Dealer who, with the collaboration of our Subsidiary Ducati North America, who reads us in copy, will be able to give you assistance in the matter.

We would also take the opportunity to ask you if you are interested in giving your consent to your personal data processing by Ducati for its commercial initiatives (promotional, commercial and information activities, sending advertising materials, direct sale, marketing researches, researches on consumer practices) according to the Italian Legislative Decree no. 196 of 30 June 2003 - Personal Data Protection Code. Providing your consent is voluntary, but necessary to receive these information. A detailed informative is available on the website www.ducati.com.

Thank you very much for your cooperation.
Best regards,"

ELENA

Customer Service
Ducati Motor Holding Spa
Borgo Panigale - Italy
"
I recieved this response above and i got a second email below. You might note the 5 year warranty phrase. apparantly there is a 5 year emissions warranty. I just hope the black box removal mod doesnt void it:

Dear Mr. Koelbl,

Thank you for contacting Ducati North America.

We are sorry to learn of the concern you are experiencing with your Ducati SportClassic. Due to the complex nature of technical issues a proper diagnosis cannot be made, via email, by Ducati Customer Service. In order to ensure that the concerns with your SportClassic are properly diagnosed, and to determine if this fuel tank concern is covered under the 5 year emissions warranty, it is necessary to have your motorcycle inspected by an authorized Ducati dealership. To find your nearest Authorized Dealership, please visit http://www.ducatiusa.com and click on "Dealer Locator" or call us toll free at 1-800-231-6696 and follow the voice prompts.

Best regards,

Customer Service
Ducati North America
10443 Bandley Drive
Cupertino, CA 95014
www.ducatiusa.com
Tel: (408) 253-0499 x4411
Fax: (408)253-4099

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and contains confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
This is not a Ducati,

It is a fellow AHRMA Racer Andrew Cowell at Daytona 2005. He had a fuel leak on his Moto Guzzi just out of Pedro Rodriguez corner. This is the type of thing that makes me a bit jumpy on my Sport Classic.

http://www.britcycle.com/Bikes/Images/AndrewCowell009.jpg

This is a Moto Guzzi, not a Ducati but fuel is fuel.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Between that and the fuel line recall, there are serious problems if you fall down.
On the lighter side, Ducati tech responded to me telling me that they will work with my dealer to determine if I can get a 5 year warranty on the tank under emissions law. I won't be able to get the bike in for a while, but I feel pretty confident that Ducati will at least get another tank for my out of warranty bike. Stay tuned.
With that in mind, I can't wait to ride this great bike. Please send some GRADUALL warming this way!!!

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
On the lighter side, Ducati tech responded to me telling me that they will work with my dealer to determine if I can get a 5 year warranty on the tank under emissions law.
If you check in the back of the Owner's Manual it says that the tank is part of the emissions system. Now that's a special case for California bikes but it seems to me that an emissions system is an emissions system no matter what state you are in.

Remember the Ford Pinto!* Didn't Ford have to replace the tank in that car for years after the warranty ran out? They also paid several million dollars to some burn victims (back in the day when a million dollars was a lot of money).

·
Registered
125 Posts
Wrong Vote

I recently looked at the tank on my Paul Smart again and realized that I voted incorrectly (unfortunately). It turns out the right side of my tank is okay but the left side has spread away from the mounting point. Makes some sense since that is the side to which the bike leans on its side stand. I am hesitant to bring it over to the dealer since Ducati has done nothing to rectify the problem yet. Any thoughts? Should I bring it regardless just to get the problem documented? It's cold here in NJ now, so if the bike has to sit for a while for the fix, now's the time.

·
Registered
900 Posts
If you check in the back of the Owner's Manual it says that the tank is part of the emissions system. Now that's a special case for California bikes but it seems to me that an emissions system is an emissions system no matter what state you are in.

Remember the Ford Pinto!* Didn't Ford have to replace the tank in that car for years after the warranty ran out? They also paid several million dollars to some burn victims (back in the day when a million dollars was a lot of money).

Not all states have the fuel tank as part of the emissions system. So much depends on the dealers. If you have one who has the "he bought it used" attitude, they don't want to deal with the paperwork for a bike they didn't sell. All I can say is I'm glad it's a fun bike to ride, because this tank stuff exposes a lot of weakness in the support system at DNA.

The 5 year warranty is fine for now, but what happens after that? I think we need a permanent solution.
That's the whole idea. Ducati needs to offer metal tank upgrades to existing North American customers who are having this issue and start making the tank from metal. That's the only thing that'll stand the test of time. I know the plastic is easier to form into those nice designer shapes but plastic will not hold up on their best selling model line in their fastest growing market.

I recently looked at the tank on my Paul Smart again and realized that I voted incorrectly (unfortunately). It turns out the right side of my tank is okay but the left side has spread away from the mounting point. Makes some sense since that is the side to which the bike leans on its side stand. I am hesitant to bring it over to the dealer since Ducati has done nothing to rectify the problem yet. Any thoughts? Should I bring it regardless just to get the problem documented? It's cold here in NJ now, so if the bike has to sit for a while for the fix, now's the time.
The Sport Classic line in North America does not have the right tank. They will all do it eventually. Take it to the dealer and document what they do ( or don't do). These tanks are barely solid and will hurt somebody soon if we don't find legal help. I have tried soliciting lawyers but they say that nothing can be done until some one goes down. Sad.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Good news...

NHTSA just contacted me directly to setup an inspection of the tank on my Paul Smart. An inspector is flying out from Washingon DC to take a look at it next Tuesday.

It looks like NHTSA is serious about this problem. If anyone else on the board has heard from NHTSA post here.

·
Registered
635 Posts
NHTSA just contacted me directly to setup an inspection of the tank on my Paul Smart. An inspector is flying out from Washingon DC to take a look at it next Tuesday.
Garth how bad is your tank? They getting a two for one spreading and dimples?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yep. Mine has spread and has dimples on the top. The NHTSA inspector said he had a Paul Smart as well with the same problem. From what he was saying, the tank spreading issue is the main safety concern.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Garth,
Are you going to discuss this poll with him when you see him face to face?

Thanks,
Tony

·
Registered
635 Posts
Well if that doesn't beat all. Found an inspector with one of our bikes. Now that doesn't hurt the cause any does it! Somebody with a vested interest in his own safety too. Not waiting till somebody goes up in flames!

121 - 140 of 1129 Posts