Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Are you having problems with your tank?

• Yes, I am having problems with my tank.

Votes: 366 66.8%
  • No, I am not having problems with my tank.

Votes: 182 33.2%

• Total voters
101 - 120 of 1129 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Thank you Don. Do you think it would help if we all signed on with you? I have not yet sent a letter to DNA but might suggest that we put together a "form" letter that we could all send.

I used to work closely with legislative issues. I found that if a form letter was used, and enough individuals sent them, it was helpful in either the passing, retaining, or eliminating legislation. (I think they just weighed the letters after reading the first dozen or so.)

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Don, a while back I sent a similar message to DNA through their contact form and I did receive a response. Basically they said: ...sorry about your problem... take the bike to your dealer to have it looked at.

That was it.

For what its worth I just submitted the following to Ducati North America via their on-line "contact us" form...

I have a long relationship with Ducati, including writing many articles for Ducati.com. This email addresses a growing concern among SportClassic owners which does not seem to be getting the attention it deserves from the company.

A large number of these motorcycles (over 60% according to a current online survey) are experiencing a spreading of the fuel tank severe enough to separate the tank from the forward mounts. My own GT1000 has gotten so severe that the only connection it has to the frame (aside from the now mandatory straps of an after-market tank bag) is a single bolt on the rear. This is not atypical. Some dealers are adding spacers to the mounting system which provides a temporary fix (until the tank spreads yet further). Some are replacing tanks if the bike is under warranty, but the new tanks soon start to spread as well. Ducati MUST do something about this. It is creating bad will among owners and is a serious safety issue.

Don Sucher​
I do not have current contacts at Ducati NA so there is no way of knowing if this will bring a response, much less a solution. But if I do hear anything I will keep you posted.

-don

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,130 Posts
Thank you Don. Do you think it would help if we all signed on with you? I have not yet sent a letter to DNA but might suggest that we put together a "form" letter that we could all send.

I used to work closely with legislative issues. I found that if a form letter was used, and enough individuals sent them, it was helpful in either the passing, retaining, or eliminating legislation. (I think they just weighed the letters after reading the first dozen or so.)
I think that is a good idea. We may wish for "justice." But good business practices will suffice.

(And not pissing off large numbers of customers qualify.)

-dpn

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nothing. Less than perfection.

Don,

I'm very interested in Mother Ducati's reply to your latest email. Warranty service reports go into a database to help factory engineers determine the root cause and then correct latent defects. Evidently the combination of our repairs, emails, phone calls, the content of the various forums (Hi Mom!), and our complaints to the NHTSA have not yet reached the required threshold. I have contacted the California Air Resources Board and the Fed EPA on the emissions aspect of storing 4 gallons of fuel directly over the engine in a hollow marshmallow and have been told that, so far, it is a safety issue and the NHTSA are the right guys. Just checked and only 30 total complaints against '06 and '07 SCs so far. Guess that once one of us makes youtube in a ball of flames.........

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
3rd tank?.. holy cow... this is just loony..

·
Registered
900 Posts
My last response from DNA was pretty much the same. I had directed them to this forum page with the hopes that when seeing that over 60% of current owners documented a problem. DNA has forwarded this issue to their tech department for review. That was a month ago. Pretty typical. If this wasn't such a great bike, I'd be REALLY upset. As it is, I will play the game and hope for some help from DNA. Like I said earlier, I'd even be willing to pay a reasonable amount for a real fix. It'd be great if they went with metal tanks like Triumph did with the Sprint ST because of this same problem.

·
Registered
65 Posts
after warranty?

Does anyone know what DNA's position will be on this issue once out of warranty? I'm still covered for a couple of months and plan to buy the extended before it expires . However, if this is a well documented issue, it seems to me that they should cover repair/replacement even after the warranty expires.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Does anyone know what DNA's position will be on this issue once out of warranty? I'm still covered for a couple of months and plan to buy the extended before it expires . However, if this is a well documented issues, it seems to me that they should cover repair/replacement even after the warranty expires.
Out of warrranty, out of luck.

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
I'm not so sure about that. The fuel tank is part of the fuel system and therefore might be part of some kind of extended warranty. Besides, Ducati does not want a tank to dump fuel all over a hot engine. Can you imagine the kind of publicity that would generate?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Maybe not. Last year, I received a recall notice on a 2002 "out of warranty" Honda VFR (wiring harness that could potentially be a fire hazard - just like a fuel tank). Essentially, the notice stated that you should not drive the bike until the repair is performed - at Honda's expense. Dealer came and picked up the bike a performed the repairs at no cost to me (several hours of shope time and an expensive harness).

Wk

·
Registered
900 Posts
Maybe not. Last year, I received a recall notice on a 2002 "out of warranty" Honda VFR (wiring harness that could potentially be a fire hazard - just like a fuel tank). Essentially, the notice stated that you should not drive the bike until the repair is performed - at Honda's expense. Dealer came and picked up the bike a performed the repairs at no cost to me (several hours of shope time and an expensive harness).

Wk
That's Honda. And a good dealer. Makes me think about the next bike. Don't get me wrong, I'm keeping the Duc. When it's time to go 1000cc sport, I'm thinking about the Blade.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I'm not so sure about that. The fuel tank is part of the fuel system and therefore might be part of some kind of extended warranty. Besides, Ducati does not want a tank to dump fuel all over a hot engine. Can you imagine the kind of publicity that would generate?
I really don't think they care. It hasn't happened yet.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I really don't think they care. It hasn't happened yet.
Alright that's it one of you go light yourselves on fire! :eek:

Sadly that might only get their attention. :cool:

Not cool it seems to take that much for much to happen.

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
you guys are old enough to remember the story
about the ford pinto, aren't you ?

at least ducati had no clue about the spreading
issue before, and they did not calculate any worst
case scenarios before delivery took place.

:cool:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Pinto

and brooksie, you'll get the high priest pretty much
upset, by even mentioning the bad word starting
with an "H", please don't do that again, not that
we have to build a brooksie voodoo muppet here.

:think:

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
you guys are old enough to remember the story
about the ford pinto, aren't you ?
Heck, I'm old enough to remember the Audi that would mysteriously jump in gear and run over anyone who was standing in front of the car.

I'll bet you that Ducati is already well aware of the problem and trying to figure out how to get out of the mess in the least costly way.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Heck, I'm old enough to remember the Audi that would mysteriously jump in gear and run over anyone who was standing in front of the car.

I'll bet you that Ducati is already well aware of the problem and trying to figure out how to get out of the mess in the least costly way.
I thought the Audis ended up in swimming pools?

Went by me new dealer (Hattar) today as my old dealer (Moto Meccanica) is out of business and after talking about it and writing up a new warranty claim he said DNA is aware of it and working on a fix for future tanks. He was thinking some kind of coating in the production process? Seems to be localized to the good 'ol USA and our quality oxgenated gas. And then it is not all plastic tanks. A few Multistradas and even Aprillia tanks have succumbed to the dreaded spreading.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I had been holding off answering the poll till I could really check into my tank. Seems mine is spreading also :mad: I haven't had any problems with bubbles or waviness in any of the visible portions and the paint still looks good. I found that if you push the front of the tank to one side or the other, the opposite mount falls out of it's bracket. I had the tank off while doing other winter maintenance when I found how sloppy things are. Checked the mounts and they look fine (aka not visibly bent). I put 5mm worth of shims under the right side mount and can probably get the same under the left side if I wanted too.

I will be getting in touch with my local dealer later this week. Hopefully some of the snow up here will melt and I can ride it over and show them in person. I know they have an '08 on the showroom floor so I will suggest they check that one also.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Due to that debacle, which was proven wrong by the way, I was able to purchase a new 1987 Audi 5000 Turbo Quattro for $19,000! Drove the thing almost 150,000 miles before a large pickup ran over it. One of my favorite vehicles. But I digress.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I think that is a good idea. We may wish for "justice." But good business practices will suffice.

(And not pissing off large numbers of customers qualify.)

-dpn
Ok, here's what I've got for a form letter. If this passes the group's muster all you have to do is go to this link:

http://www.ducati.com/contact_us.jhtml?contactus=technical

Under "Subject of the message" check off "Technical Problem".

For the "Questions or Comments" section, just cut and paste the following. (Even though they already have your name in the fields that you filled out, please remember to put it in again at the end of this note.) You might want to send it even if your tank has not yet had a problem, just change the first sentence to "I am concerned that my fuel tank may spread...."

My fuel tank has spread so as to become loose in its front mounting tabs. In researching this problem I found information at Ducati.ms regarding this situation along with an informal poll.

Please visit the following site for more information.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?p=542109&posted=1#post542109

This poll notes that over 60% of the 151 respondents have experienced this same problem. Some with multiple tanks on the same motorcycle!

This issue makes me apprehensive about riding my bike as I am concerned about my personal safety, that it also will affect my insurance rates, and the value of the motorcycle.

It is my request that Ducati provide me a replacement tank that is well engineered, safe, and of course as aesthetically pleasing as the original.

I am looking forward to your response.

Respectfully,

(Your Name)

101 - 120 of 1129 Posts