Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Are you having problems with your tank?

• Yes, I am having problems with my tank.

Votes: 368 66.7%
  • No, I am not having problems with my tank.

Votes: 184 33.3%
1,121 - 1,138 of 1,138 Posts
ian,

Thanks man! Yeah - it's a real funky situation. My fear, and I read it somewhere here, is that someone did the coating and still had the tank spread after 18months. Now this can be an issue with who/how it was coated but it still came back. I'm on the fence and would hate to coat, have it happen again, then not be covered under the warranty.

It's a messed up deal...

My 2 cents. Bought my 2010 new from Ducati Seattle a year ago. The tank had already spread beyond the brackets sitting on the showroom floor. Dave R. ordered a new one for me and I immediately had it coated with Caswell. I had a professional shop do it, 2 coats and scoping after each coat to see if anything was missed). I've not had a problem so far.

The service bulletin from Ducati SVC-10-026 tells of a kit for the installation of the fuel tank fastner kit part no 69926061A. The revised fastners have a wider loadbearing surfaces. The kit accommadates possible tank expansion without loss of a secure mounting ..... or so says the boyz from Bologna.
As info for anyone else in this situation, I had 2 tanks replaced (hitting the handlebars) on my SportClassic 1000 SE.

The first 2 replacements had the CA emissions sticker on the bottom, the third one didn't. (I am calling the dealer about that oversight...)
The third tank I had coated @ the dealer before install and got the retrofit kit as well.

Now (+2 years) I notice the LH side of the tank moves up and down. Noticed after taking the tank off to do a MWR filter install.

On top of the extended mounting pegs, the retrofit also has a rubber spacer at the back RIGHT HAND SIDE ONLY ziptied to the frame to support the RH side of the tank. The left hand side seems to rest on the wiring harness. It doesn't come up under the official parts fische. I need another one of those "pads" to hold up the tank so it doesn't touch the wiring harness, and stops wiggling.

I called the dealer about it and got this parts information, and need a replacement "tank support pad" like I do.

Ducati SVC 10-026
69926061A
Retrofit kit w/ tank mounts, spacers, and ONE pad.

Ducati OEM TANK BEARING PAD: 85012381A
"tank support pad"
$9.61

(ducati 85040131a <- some kind of threaded insert? maybe wrong part#)
$2

Doesn't the dealer coated new tank come with a lifetime warranty? Which dealer was it?

You can always remove the emissions sticker from an expanded tank and put it on the new one. Maybe the dealer has an expanded tank, doesn't matter what model as long as it meets emissions standards.

Which dealer was it?
Hattar Moto in San Rafael.
(In reality, "Ace Motorsports of Concord", since they were bought out six months before.)

"Hattar-Ace" both did the Warranty replacement on the Third tank (and forgot the stickers) and also did the tank coating (claiming they had an official contract).
Ace Motorsports did my second tank, but after they did really dumb things like returning my bike to me with a dead battery, or chipping the paint on my rear cowling and feigning ignorance, I stopped going there.

Doesn't the dealer coated new tank come with a lifetime warranty?
Warranty? On the tank or the coating?

The tank warranty is probably voided by coating, but it was my best option at the time as the warranty was purchase+5yrs (cosmetic) and purchase+6yrs (mechanical).
And I don't think "Hattar-Ace" will stand behind the coating... look up achung123's posts and you'll see what I mean. The OLD Hattar might have.

You can always remove the emissions sticker from an expanded tank and put it on the new one. Maybe the dealer has an expanded tank, doesn't matter what model as long as it meets emissions standards.
This only came up now (+2 years after I had my tank coated) because I didn't do my own work, I TOOK IT TO A DEALER. I had no reason to look under my tank. So no sticker.

The screw-up happened 2 years ago, and I only found out about it now because I have become experienced enough to pull the tank and install an air filter on my own safely.

I have photos of the old stickers only because I was curious when my first tank was replaced and snapped a few pics.
Hence why they look like they were taken with a potato.
I am seeing if I can't post them up here in case someone else needs them.

I'm a real sticker for saving stock parts and keeping proper legal documentation... so if for whatever reason I get held up/can't transfer/sell it here in California because of this, I will be livid.
There are actually 2 part numbers on the bottom right of each sticker. I am going to stay on their case until they get those (or letter signed stating as much signed by the head honcho in Cupertino).

Hell, I could ride down there and knock on his window.

Attachments

i didn't read all the post as its too long, will read later on, but wanted to ask... was this tank issue only happening in America, ducati sport classic bikes due to the fuel/petrol they used? i have not heard any issues in Australia about tank problem that get a bulge, dimple or large lump on tank area?

i didn't read all the post as its too long, will read later on, but wanted to ask... was this tank issue only happening in America, ducati sport classic bikes due to the fuel/petrol they used? i have not heard any issues in Australia about tank problem that get a bulge, dimple or large lump on tank area?
Same issues in the UK. I have a GT1K registered in 2009. The tank was rattling all over when I bought it last year. I've shimmed it and its nice and tight now

As info for anyone else in this situation, I had 2 tanks replaced (hitting the handlebars) on my SportClassic 1000 SE.

The first 2 replacements had the CA emissions sticker on the bottom, the third one didn't. (I am calling the dealer about that oversight...)
The third tank I had coated @ the dealer before install and got the retrofit kit as well.

Now (+2 years) I notice the LH side of the tank moves up and down. Noticed after taking the tank off to do a MWR filter install.

On top of the extended mounting pegs, the retrofit also has a rubber spacer at the back RIGHT HAND SIDE ONLY ziptied to the frame to support the RH side of the tank. The left hand side seems to rest on the wiring harness. It doesn't come up under the official parts fische. I need another one of those "pads" to hold up the tank so it doesn't touch the wiring harness, and stops wiggling.

I called the dealer about it and got this parts information, and need a replacement "tank support pad" like I do.
Do you have pics about how to install Ducati OEM TANK BEARING PAD: 85012381A?

No idea what that part number is, but if you are asking about the rubber pads that hold the tank in the frame holders there is just a screw in the centre of each pad.
Thank you! Is other part. Only I know “the retrofit also has a rubber spacer at the back RIGHT HAND SIDE ONLY ziptied to the frame to support the RH side of the tank. The left hand side seems to rest on the wiring harness. It doesn't come up under the official parts fische. I need another one of those "pads" to hold up the tank so it doesn't touch the wiring harness, and stops wiggling.” But I need to see a pic for give me an idea.

Thank you! Is other part. Only I know “the retrofit also has a rubber spacer at the back RIGHT HAND SIDE ONLY ziptied to the frame to support the RH side of the tank. The left hand side seems to rest on the wiring harness. It doesn't come up under the official parts fische. I need another one of those "pads" to hold up the tank so it doesn't touch the wiring harness, and stops wiggling.” But I need to see a pic for give me an idea.
Check out DucatiOmaha parts catalogue untitled

holder for rubber pad is in drawing 21 and rubber pad is in drawing 18
Font Bicycle part Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Auto part

Organism Font Line Slope Parallel

Attachments

Thank you, but the part 85012381A is different, this part don't include inside spare part catalogue for SC or GT.
if memory serves, it isn't in the spare parts catalogue because it was part of an interim solution to tank spread by putting on deeper brackets etc. don't know any who installed this kit, but just shimmed to OE bracket a tad and use a longer screw as a solution to hold over until the tanks were replaced under the extended warranty.

my suggestion would be to simply remove the tank, clip that on the frame and see what makes sense. should be pretty obvious i would think.

i would be careful w/ the deeper brackets personally though with these tanks so it doesn't get spread worse or scratched up.

i do not have this part on my bike at all. and the tank was replaced by the dealer.

if memory serves, it isn't in the spare parts catalogue because it was part of an interim solution to tank spread by putting on deeper brackets etc. don't know any who installed this kit, but just shimmed to OE bracket a tad and use a longer screw as a solution to hold over until the tanks were replaced under the extended warranty.

my suggestion would be to simply remove the tank, clip that on the frame and see what makes sense. should be pretty obvious i would think.

i would be careful w/ the deeper brackets personally though with these tanks so it doesn't get spread worse or scratched up.

i do not have this part on my bike at all. and the tank was replaced by the dealer.
Thank you, I will to try on the blue mark.

Attachments

1,121 - 1,138 of 1,138 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.