Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Are you having problems with your tank?

• Yes, I am having problems with my tank.

Votes: 368 66.7%
  • No, I am not having problems with my tank.

Votes: 184 33.3%

Tank Problems - Yes or No

178K views 1K replies 254 participants last post by  mopgcw 
#1 · (Edited)
Let us know if you are having tank problems.

I voted already. I have not had any tank problems so far. For the record, my Paul Smart does not have many miles on it and it stays in a heated garage. I don't know if that makes any difference.

#5 ·
Maybe we need one more choice for those of us that are not having problems with our current tank, but had our original replaced (under warranty or otherwise) due to the bulging - deformation issues.
I understand what you are saying but the main reason for this thread is to get a count of those who have or have not had problems.

#6 ·
I own three SportClassics. Here's my story:

-2006 Sport 1000- purchased March '06 - tank bulged, dimpled, and spread in summer '08 - out of warranty, not replaced yet.

-2006 Sport 1000- purchased November '06- tank bulged and spread in spring of '08 - replaced under warranty October '08.

- 2008 Sport 1000S - purchased November '08 - no issues yet.

Sport 1000 #1 has 14,000 miles on the clock. The other two are still relatively low mileage. I'm hoping for a long range fix as I intend to ride them all for many years to come.

RpM

#7 ·
'07 GT1000 Bicolore purchassed 3/08

Noticed tank spreading on throttle side with depression and small pimple same side 8/08

Bike is garaged, only use Shell and Chevron fuel, sits in the shade at work when used to commute in the summer.

Dealer notifed 9/08, new tank on the way under warranty. No questions from dealer took a look shook his head and said he'd take care of it.

#8 · (Edited)
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?p=519220&posted=1#post519220
I think all we need to do is get a head count of each vehicle that has an existing problem OR had to get a tank replaced. Vote "yes" if you have any history with a bad tank. Vote "no" if you have not. Simple. The idea is to try and get a representation of just how serious this problem is. to NTSB and Ducati so we can get a real solution for our bikes. Also, be sure to use the other sticky to send your complaint in to NTSB. I sent this to DNA this evening to try and help get some attention to the group of us, as maybe we can get some more positive results for keeping the bikes we love safe. I can't post Ducatis response to this or previous contacts I've made. I will say they have be extremely quick in answering. Just would like to see some help.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77
Please check out the forum for all the issues happening with defective fuel tanks on Sport Classics that are not being addressed to satisfaction of your customers. While I am impressed with the quickness of your responses to me in the past, I am not the only Ducati owner who is struggling to justify ownership in this situation. In warranty or out of warranty, a manufactured defective unsafe part is being used on these motorcycles. I really love the bike and most everything about it. I am losing steering lock because of this tank expansion and I've only had the used bike for two weeks. Please monitor this situation and provide us with a long term solution.

At this point, I just want to get back to having fun with a great motorcycle. I just hope it stays safe to ride in the meantime.

#12 ·
Tank problems Yes or No ? Yes here!

Yes I have the same basic issue as most. Tank is loose. Not 100% sure if it's spreading. In one of my other posts I mentioned seening this spreading(?) oversize tanks, or just very poor Q Control on brand new uncrated bikes without fuel. Yes it is quite upsetting to say the least. Can't help but wonder if they're fully aware of the problem and it's really poor quality tank from ther suppliers (if they are not made in house) and facing production quotas. In 2 different dealerships recently seeing 2 unpacked bikes and were not fueled tanks could be lifted at least out of one side. I ask again for memeber to check ot other SC's PSLE etc. IN THE SHOWROOMS and post their observations. I will soon have my tank off and first want to measure the frame width so we can have some data exactly what the average frame mounting poits/cups are. Then record the width of the tank. MEMBER please check out some drand new bikes and post your observaions and dimensions. Thanks

#13 ·
voted 'yes'

I had to shim my 06 sport tank a couple of months ago so I don't remember exactly, but it had grown either 1 or 1 1/2 inches too wide and could easily lift off the bike. It wasn't symmetrically distorted, either. One side needed 1/2 inch more spacer than the other for the tank to be centered.

Love the bike, though.
Cheers,
Neil

#14 ·
I voted 'yes'.

As of my vote, there were 34 of you who also voted 'yes'. However, when I do a search of the complaints filed with the ODI/NHTSA (Office of Defects Investigation/Naional Highway Traffic Safety Administration), there have only been 19 complaints filed for Sport Classics covering every model year.

Why aren't people taking the couple of minutes to fill out the form? It probably took me longer to type this post than it did to fill out a complaint.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

Based on this survey, there should be at least 34 complaints...and that's assuming all of the 19 complaints that have been filed voted on this forum (which is highly unlikely).

#15 ·
tank problem yes

My strong opinion is we should all MEASURE the tank width by removing our tanks. This way we can ACCURATELY now joe tank is X amount, johs is X amount. LETS SEE HOW MUCH THEY ARE ACTUALLY SPREADING !!! We need data !!!! I think everyone should be carefull if the plastic quick disconnects are cold best to remove inside where it's warm, catch fuel while removing. I gently repinch the outer squeeze ring the opposite direction so in an attempt to obtain the best holding power from their design, also lube them before insertion. Remember to turn key on a check for leaks. Mine will be off soon and I will post the data. Can't access the NHTSB right now,site is down ????

#18 ·
Haven't filed a formal complaint yet as I just found out that the tank has spread. Last time I rode it...about 2 weeks ago it was ok. Just took it off the stand 10 minutes ago to get ready to head to Louisiana for a week of riding, and the tank damn near came off! Will shim and ride, but will next make a call to my dealer as my warranty is good 'til April '09.

gwb

#19 ·
Seems to me that if it's documented that folks outside of North America are not experiencing the tank spreading issue, including them in this poll will provide results that are skewed more towards the "no" vote than they should be.

#20 ·
Talked to my local dealer, Hall's in Springfield, IL. There is a spreading tank recall that talks about shimming the tank. In the interim, I found dimpling in the tank on the right hand side. The dimpling Hall's says will allow the tank to be replaced under warranty.

During discussion the service guy asked about the gas tank vent and whether or not it was clear. He seems to think that a bad vent may be causing some of the problems. He recomended shooting some WD-40 into the vent and seeing if it went through. Mine didn't. I disconnected the line at the base of the tank and removed it. (of course it was to vent into that ugly canister...wonder where that went...) The line was plugged with something. I blew it clear and reinstalled it, checking by blowing backwards throught the vent with my finger over the under gas cap vent..works now.

Just a thought for those that have no problems yet and hope to have no problems.

#23 ·
Just how many of these bikes are here in the states?
There are supposed to be 200 Paul Smarts in the US. I have no idea how many Sport Classics there are.

Other thing do the bikes in Europe have this damned emissions canister. For crying out load the same canister that caused vacuum lock on fuel injected SS bikes and caved them in!
We have quite a few threads about removing the canister. Do a search. My dealer took my canister off before I picked up my bike. :D

#22 ·
I haven't had any problems yet but my bike leads a pretty pampered life. My dealer hasn't heard anything from Ducati about this issue either.
Other Ducs have a plastic tank, do they have some of the same issues?
The gas tank vent makes sense, but again other Ducs have the same thing.

#25 ·
I've had all the problems, initially the tank was lose in the mounting pucks but a little shimming fixed that problem. Then it developed a number of small pimples on the top of the tank, followed by a bulge that developed in the side.

Tank was replaced a few weeks ago under warranty, no problems so far with the new one just have to wait and see. It was no problem having the dealer replace the tank, he took one look and ordered a new one.

#27 ·
Voted YES. Bike doesn't even have 600 miles under it and the tank is already shifting around about 1/2 to 3/4 inch. I suppose I could file for a new tank but this one is still new in my book. What good would another new tank do for me if I have to replace it again anyway? I want a new "fixed" tank. Guess I'm heading to the hardware store.

#30 ·
I think you're right, but the %age is less I think. US allows up to 10%, Europe is 5%?

I have also been told that the further away from the batch mixing you are the less ethanol in your fuel.....bleed off...and that those close by may be getting more than 10%..fuel in my area smells like cheap rum sometimes.

#32 ·
Too much time on my hands thinking about this tank thing, and also wondering if the spreading and paint bubbles might be a result of not only the gasahol, but also the actual shape of the SC's tank vs the Monster, etc.:think:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.