Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in January BC (before corona) I was working 12 hr days and my dealer was offering a 10%off all parts & service, my ‘14 multi gt was due for its 15K service so I took it to them. I could’ve done it myself but not much time with working so much.
After a few rides my fuel sender goes haywire and instead of hauling the bike the 130 miles to dealer it was easier to just do it myself. The job was going well until I couldn’t remove one of the screws holding the fairing to the fuel tank because the nut insert was spinning. I drilled the head off the screw and proceeded with the job.
My question is can those threaded inserts in the tank be replaced?

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
usually they stick because of the friction between the boss under the head and the insert. get rid of the boss and the remaining bit of thread might just wind out. lh drill?

if you can get it out or get some goop around it i'd glue it back in with some sort of epoxy.

·
Premium Member
12,401 Posts
Blame it on the dealer and the gorilla ham fisted mechanic, as some always do....
I have wondered ifin you mess with the tank in hot weather as opposed to cool temps the plastic may hold the inserts better from spinning???
I nev-er seized the crap outa my butter soft screws when I done mine. At least call the dealer who done the work and ask IF they had to mess with the offending screws. Give them an option at least.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
usually they stick because of the friction between the boss under the head and the insert. get rid of the boss and the remaining bit of thread might just wind out. lh drill?

if you can get it out or get some goop around it i'd glue it back in with some sort of epoxy.
That’s what I’ll do if I don’t figure out a better way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts