Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Also posted on CafeRacer.net (DesmoDog lurks over there too!)

Yes...I know this a common thread of "how do I mount my fiberglass (insert part here)"...but I've been scouring the net and haven't found anything too useful yet.

So, here is my dilemma. The vic camp style tank I got from Airtech is sweet - but doesn't easily mount up. The studs in the front are super low below the frame backbone and it would require a very funky mount...described below. But, am hoping you lot have some more creative (and potentially cleaner) ideas.

Photo of the tank and seat lined up...

Photo of the front mounting studs...

Underside of the front mounting studs and backbone...

Old tank mounting holes...

From the front...

So - in picture 3 you'll notice that there is a brace between the front down tube and backbone. At the back of that brace is a slot that is typically used to mount the coil. I could fab up a bracket that is a reverse A to connect to the two studs and fit through the coil bracket. However - that seems like a big ass bracket and kind of clunky. I spoke to Dutch at Airtech and he thought that might be the easiest way - but I just don't dig it.

Option 2 (not really sure if its an option or not) is to mount tabs on the front of the tank and use the old tank mounting holes that are in the frame (photos 4 and 5). But I don't want to stress the tank - and little tabs glued onto the fiberglass probably wouldn't be very strong.

So - any ideas I should consider?

Cheers,
AK

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
That's a similar mounting method to what I'm putting on my 250/350 project. I'll post pics of what I came up with later today/tomorrow... probably here AND caferacer.net! :p

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Can't help with the tank but I'd like to say that your bike build looks good so far but it must be heavier than it looks because your garage floor is cracking around it... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I think the cracking is from when he fired the engine before it was torn down... 250cc of rocking socking power!

Here are a few pics of my front tank mount. Evan sent me a length of aluminum channel that fit between the mounts, I slotted it then welded it onto another piece of aluminum. Then I drilled a couple holes and bolted the whole shooting match to the brace on the frame.

You could do something similar, but weld the tab above the channel so it wouldn't stick below the tank. The thing to watch out for if you go this way is, leave enough room for the coil.

I went under the channel so the force was taken by the mounting tab instead of the weld. Likely doesn't really matter and if it fails the tank isn't going anywhere anyway. (going under kept the tab out of the way of the coil too)

I also know a guy how ran a threaded rod off the coil mount, and used that to hold up the cross piece.

I was too lazy to pull the tank for a better view, but I think you get the idea?

Anywhos, here are a couple of the entire bike as it sits. Rims are wrong, fenders are wrong (they won't be valanced) and the front hub is wrong, but other than that...

P.S. Yes, I realize the nylocks aren't engaged. I have them spaced that far out because I got sick of needing a socket to deal with them!! You have no idea how many times the tank was installed/removed in the process of coming up with this simple mount...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Desmo Dog,,,really like the tank ,,,,,Anybody know where I might find tank straps or tie down strap's,,,,I have a fiberglass tank that has the posts in the front and the rear, I was think about vacuum cleaner belts to hold it down, any thoughts or ideas, hate to hyjack this tread...

·
Registered
350 Posts
Typically, Fiberglass "bread-loaf" tanks such as yours were mounted in what would seem a very cheesy way-

LOTS of rubber (closed-cell black type like for racing seat pads) on the frame backbone, and "rubber band" style mounting front and rear ,(Usually the "rubber bands" aren't really rubber bands, but more like the big giant O-ring that goes under the points cover)

This seems like a silly way of doing it, but the tank then receives NONE of the glass-killing vibrations as solid mounting transmits-

if you do make solid mounts like on that previous guys Alloy tank(Fucking beautiful by the way) make sure theres PLENTY of rubber between the tank and the mount, and also between the mount and the frame-

Even tho a 250 vibrates ALOT less than a 450, it still will turn your Fiberglass masterpiece into a leaky cracked-up piece of useless nothing in a few years of riding!!

Bike looks GREAT so far, by the way!!!

What front end is that? curious.........

1 - 6 of 6 Posts