Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed or seen black tank knee pads on a silver GT1000? I'm thinking it might look cool with the whole retro sport look of the bike. Maybe someone has pics, or feels like photoshopping it? Could be a low cost/high reward type mod. I searched the forum to no avail, but I'd be very surprised if no one on this forum has tried this.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I've never seen knee pads on a GT of any color, and even the original GT750 didn't have them. They were introduced in '71 which seems to be the year knee pads disappeared.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I'm thinking of putting something on. Not sure what yet. I know I would like something grippy, but not sold on the available tank grip products for the look I want. Also looking forward to covering up some of the tank warping in the knee cut outs. :)

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I use the pre-cut oval from stompgrip. This is "all function, no fashion." I've never gotten a positive comment on it and most Ducati guys sort of patiently ignore it. That said, there is an astronomical improvement in using stomp-grip or a similar product to assist in allowing your legs and core to support virtually all of your weight (and reduce the evil, error-inducing grip of death on the bars).

You don't have to like it but it works. I use clear stomp grip on the blue bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I happen to like how this looks, actually. I've got a black sport 1000 -- but I plan on putting some sort of pad on there too -- my wrists are about to fall off on any ride longer than an hour.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
i just got some sheets of the black grip pad material for my "blue bike" and i'm looking at shape options to get the look i want. with the miles i put on the bike i'm looking for a way to ease up the slip-sliding on the tank.

btw barfer - i'm loving the look with that bodywork! did you have to mod the seat much to get it to match up w/the longer s1k tank?

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
I got some black generic Gripster stuff and cut it to look like it fit but took it off as I didn't like the look and it didn't seem to be all that functional.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I'm looking at knee pad options too. I recently got a Corbin seat, and though it's nice and comfy, it's also very slippery.

I really like the triumph knee pads that come on the Scrambler and T100, and are available for the other Bonnevilles. The lines match the tank cut outs, and there's a nice trim around the perimeter of the pads that let you know they were designed for that tank and not just cut from a sheet of rubber. I'd like to find something similar for the GT.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
btw barfer - i'm loving the look with that bodywork! did you have to mod the seat much to get it to match up w/the longer s1k tank?
Thanks. It was easy, I didn't have to trim anything, I just cut a 1/2" line in the hard plastic backing under the seat foam where the seat meets the right and left side of the tank to allow it to bend when pushed against the slightly longer tank. It is only like 3/8" compression required and fits just fine.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
This is an old pic of my GT, due to an optical illusion it appears I have tank pads on. I don't, but it you could find ones cut to the shape of the tank it would probably look alot like this pic

Attachments

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Hey, its all personal preference of course; and style counts, too, frankly, but don't forget to acknowledge the "function" as well as the "fashion."

I can't stress enough how much gripping the bike with knees/legs improves your ability to control steering input. I will never ride a bike without stompgrip again.

Ask any racer...

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Hey, its all personal preference of course; and style counts, too, frankly, but don't forget to acknowledge the "function" as well as the "fashion."

I can't stress enough how much gripping the bike with knees/legs improves your ability to control steering input. I will never ride a bike without stompgrip again.

Ask any racer...
+1 Steering is so much lighter when your torso is doing the supporting and your weight is off the bars.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Tankslapper

I put on some 3M plastic material to protect the tank from scratches. It is sold by Tankslapper.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts