Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all- again I'm new here, but have been reading all about the tank issues and it's quite a bit to digest (and a huge bummer- as my brand new bike's tank has a bit of a wobble on the throttle side).
Has anyone thought of creating an F.A.Q. in regard to tank deformation?
I see the threads but it would be nice to have one source (like a wiki) that can serve to separate facts from speculation...
Maybe a sticky that can be updated (but not posted to), any time there's some new info?

I'm concerned with the dangers of riding with a "loose" tank as well as with being bike-less, while I wait for a replacement.

I stopped into Pro Italia, here in Glendale... They were very aware of the issue and said they seal all replacement tanks before they attach them- but to get a new tank, mine has to get to the stage where it can be pulled off tools free.

Anyway- now I'm babbling and being redundant... Apologies for this being the millionth thread on the subject.

·
Registered
483 Posts
......... I stopped into Pro Italia, here in Glendale... They were very aware of the issue and said they seal all replacement tanks before they attach them- but to get a new tank, mine has to get to the stage where it can be pulled off tools free.......
(screeching sound).. whoa.. hold on just a second there. Are the tanks then out of warranty? If not then how do I get the ok to seal mine and still have it under warranty? Please call or go by and ask the person who told you that because if that's the case then it changes everything.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
(screeching sound).. whoa.. hold on just a second there. Are the tanks then out of warranty? If not then how do I get the ok to seal mine and still have it under warranty? Please call or go by and ask the person who told you that because if that's the case then it changes everything.
No problem... will do.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just spoke with them... they said there is a "chance" the modified tank would not remain covered, so if I was concerned- I should wait to do it when I'm close to the end of the 5 year tank warranty (sorry for getting hopes up). He did said they've had really good results, though.

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
I had my bike serviced at Proitalia along with a tank replacement in November and there was no mention of sealing it. Did they just start doing that? Anyway, probably no need for a FAQ thread. The tanks spread, warp and deform due to ethanol blended gas, plain and simple. There is no fix from Ducati at this point. They just keep replacing tanks. That about sums it up.

Hi all- again I'm new here, but have been reading all about the tank issues and it's quite a bit to digest (and a huge bummer- as my brand new bike's tank has a bit of a wobble on the throttle side).
I see the threads but it would be nice to have one source (like a wiki) that can serve to separate facts from speculation...
Maybe a sticky that can be updated (but not posted to), any time there's some new info?

I'm concerned with the dangers of riding with a "loose" tank as well as with being bike-less, while I wait for a replacement.

I stopped into Pro Italia, here in Glendale... They were very aware of the issue and said they seal all replacement tanks before they attach them- but to get a new tank, mine has to get to the stage where it can be pulled off tools free.

Anyway- now I'm babbling and being redundant... Apologies for this being the millionth thread on the subject.

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Did they tell you if you seal your tank it will no longer be eligible for warranty from Ducati? It voids the warranty.
They will also tell you thet it is 18621 miles or 5years for replacement but recent info has been it will be replaced regardsless.
Some of us has chosen to seal the tank and be done with it.
It's a 50/50 risk. So far sealing the tank has proven to be successful as far as the swelling and deforming of the tank.
Check the Seal the tank NE1thread in the sport classic section

Just so you know
These rumors were actually fact at the time but DNA changes it's tune every six months and it can be different from one dealer to the next regarding this issue.

I chose to seal because I'm concerned that they may eventually just look the other way.

JC

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
. The tanks spread, warp and deform due to ethanol blended gas, plain and simple.
My dealer has a bike on the floor that had nothing but ethanol free gas in the tank, and it still spread. So I'm sure no one wants to believe it, but it might not be the ethanol.

·
Registered
985 Posts
The tanks spread, warp and deform due to ethanol blended gas, plain and simple. That about sums it up.
We don't know that. Ducati won't admit to anything. No one has done any definitive testing on the subject.

I believe that the weight of a full tank is at least partially to blame. As the tank is not made of metal, it's slightly pliable and can be deformed over time by the weight of the fuel. I store my GT with the tank nearly empty, preferring to gas up before a ride. It's too small of a sample population to be conclusive, but the tank on my GT has no spread whatever.

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Well, I'm just going by what I've read on this board and what my dealer told me. I guess I could be wrong.

·
Registered
483 Posts
We don't know that. Ducati won't admit to anything. No one has done any definitive testing on the subject.

I believe that the weight of a full tank is at least partially to blame. As the tank is not made of metal, it's slightly pliable and can be deformed over time by the weight of the fuel. I store my GT with the tank nearly empty, preferring to gas up before a ride. It's too small of a sample population to be conclusive, but the tank on my GT has no spread whatever.
What would be a definitive test I wonder.. maybe take a tank and measure the width, fill it full with standard gas and allow it to sit for a few weeks measuring every other day, fill it full with 10% ethanol for a few weeks and measure, then fill it full with E85 for a few weeks and measure. If the culprit is ethanol then you'd see a dramatic change once the E85 went in. ??
Anyone have a tank that's already been approved for replacement? .. no harm if it gets worse before you turn it in.....

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Not wrong at all.

It's just that depending on the dealer you go to and the flavor of the month directive DNA makes keeps changing and their solution to the problem is vague at best.
so we have been misled, misinformed? Just very much in the midst of a problem they have not clearly found a solution to date.
For now it seems to end up with a new tank but how long will this last?

I'm starting to see a pattern of new owners coming to this forum for answers and a few have brought new information that dealers are using to date regarding this issue.

JC

Well, I'm just going by what I've read on this board and what my dealer told me. I guess I could be wrong.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I agree with tsmgguy.

If there was an incapatability between the tank material and ethanol, I would believe the spreading issue would affect every SC. Since some such as papawheelie have seen tanks spread with ethanol free gas used exclusively, then what gives.

I personally think its as simple as the tank not being rigid enough. Think of the cheap 5 gal. plastic gas tanks. I have one for my mower and in the summer in my garage, it blimps to about 130% its normal size. I think the design of the SC tank with the way it hugs the frame/air box leaves some narrow sections that tend to get deformed by the sheer weight of the gas alone.

My tank has spread and is shimmed tight. I filled it up with ethanol free gas, rode 2 miles home and parked it. It has been sitting for about 2 weeks now because I am doing the "open wet clutch" mod. I checked the tank and it has just a bit of play. Hmmmm........ I need to get this put back together and burn off some fuel.

·
Registered
206 Posts
but to get a new tank, mine has to get to the stage where it can be pulled off tools free.
what????
they won't do a warranty fix unless it pulls off without tools? So if it falls off down the road they will replace it, but if the right side completely comes up and the left side stays down they refuse a warranty fix?

That's just crap, my friend.

More importantly, in most of our experiences, just not true. They should replace it as soon as any changes from stock occur. Otherwise it's not safe and they'd be liable should something happen.

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
I personally think its as simple as the tank not being rigid enough. Think of the cheap 5 gal. plastic gas tanks. I have one for my mower and in the summer in my garage, it blimps to about 130% its normal size. I think the design of the SC tank with the way it hugs the frame/air box leaves some narrow sections that tend to get deformed by the sheer weight of the gas alone.
Your 5 gal. plastic gas tank expands because it is not vented. Ducati tanks are vented. IMHO, if the sheer weight of the fuel were the issue I would think that the tanks would droop but they don't. They move away from the frame and up.

To everyone else - You might think you are getting ethanol free fuel but if you buy from one of the major suppliers (Exxon, BP, Sunoco, etc.) there is a fair chance that you are getting some ethanol. Some states aren't required to post ethanol content.

And here is a big problem - Ethanol is not blended into the fuel at the refinery. It is poured into the tank truck at the distribution point. Sometimes they get the percentage right and sometimes they don't. (I have a nephew who drives a gasoline tank truck.)

Finally, this problem is not unique to Ducati. The boating industry and the private aviation industry have been fighting ethanol fuel for years. Built in boat tanks are especially vulnerable.

And warped fuel tanks might be the least of our worries. Ethanol fuel is already causing problems for the automotive industry - http://www.businessweek.com/lifestyle/content/may2009/bw20090514_058678.htm

My PS went for three years without a problem. The tank was always full . . . even over the winter. Last month the tank began to spread. I checked. I had about 10% ethanol in my fuel. (North Carolina is not required to post ethanol content if the content is 10% or less.) Thanks, EXXON!

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
what????
they won't do a warranty fix unless it pulls off without tools? So if it falls off down the road they will replace it, but if the right side completely comes up and the left side stays down they refuse a warranty fix?

That's just crap, my friend.

More importantly, in most of our experiences, just not true. They should replace it as soon as any changes from stock occur. Otherwise it's not safe and they'd be liable should something happen.
I agree! My tank has spread less than 1/4 inch on each side. Ducati is sending me a new tank.

·
Registered
86 Posts
So, why the SportClassic and not the other Ducatis? I don't see big threads on this with the Superbikes or the Hyper. Is it the shape of our tanks, or is something else going on? I realize the way our tanks attach probably makes it a lot more obvious when it happens to these bikes...Or do the other Ducs have the problem and the owners are just quiet about it?

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Monsters have the same problem with tank warping, it just shows up in different ways (I have two friends locally who have both had their Monster tanks replaced....among my many friends with sport classics with new tanks of course). I think I've heard ramblings of problems with Multistrada tanks as well?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts