Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking a trip this weekend with my wife and I've a magnetic tank bag that is about 5 years old. I've always left it strapped to the passenger seat and never had it on the tank. Anyway, I've always heard that it's not a good idea to put it on the tank cause it will scratch it (even if you are diligent in brushing off the magnetic flaps).

Fact or fiction?

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
I am taking a trip this weekend with my wife and I've a magnetic tank bag that is about 5 years old. I've always left it strapped to the passenger seat and never had it on the tank. Anyway, I've always heard that it's not a good idea to put it on the tank cause it will scratch it (even if you are diligent in brushing off the magnetic flaps).

Fact or fiction?
Fact but like most things it can be reduced by keeping both surfaces clean and free from grit which is the main cause.
Also depends how loaded the bag will be , the heavier the more prone to moving and hence scratching.
Keep it light & clean or buy a Baglux :))
You could try some of that paint-protecting film - it certainly protected the sides of my tank from rub marks from my knees before I got the Baglux.
The looks are not to everyone's taste but they are very effective and convenient.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have had tank bags and have not noticed any scratches. I don't use them everyday, usually once a month for long day trips or multiday trips. If I am doing an overnighter I always clean the tank off in the morning as well as the bag and never put on when dusty, seems to be just fine.

I wouldn't over-worry.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I've used a Marsee magnetic tank bag for years now. Never had a scratching issue. I keep the tank cleaned and waxed and also use compressed air on the bag to keep the dust down. Very strong magnets are most helpful in keeping from moving.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Try putting some thin foam, 1/16" or 1/32" thick with some double sided tape against the magnets. Thicker foam may allow the bag to move around while riding, as the magnets are farther away from the steel.

I have Held tank bag with a rough base surface (probably why it was on sale ....) to allow water to drain off rather be trapped. The foam has saved the paint surface.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Better yet, get the Tankslapper film that is non-adhesive:

http://thetankslapper.com/buy/tank_top/ducati.html

This is a static adhesive film that will sit between the tank and the bag, preventing scratching.

I have one on my bike...works best if you wax the tank top before applying and use the baby shampoo mix to apply. It will stay on as long as you want, and peel right off. Clean and re-apply as many times as you want.

·
Administrator
12,557 Posts
I have a Marsee that I have been using 5 years without scratches. I do follow one bit of advice, when I take it off the bike I set it so the magnet side is up (the map pocket is down). This keeps the magnets from attracting dirt and iron grit that are magnetic and can scratch your tank.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Been using magnetic tank bags forever, never had a problem with scratches. As mentioned already, check where you are setting them down, check the underside of the bag before you put it on the tank, and keep a nice coat of wax on the tank.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Sorry i meant to add value to this thread but got caught up in the sarcasm.

No tanks scratches from my mag bag here.
As mentioned above, just pay attention to the bottom of your bag and don't slide it across the tank. And a good coat of wax doesn't hurt either.

·
Registered
79 Posts
do not buy a Bagalux tankbag.

for one, they make the bike feel wider and also it's like putting a blanket on your petrol tank, i have video/pictures of the petrol boiling on my st4s, now it was an extreme-ish gravel road in the alps. so don't get one. Also the baglux tank bag, on the bagalux tank cover, covers the ignition key so you have to pull the thing out of the way, funny the first time but after 2 weeks with a full tank bank it's not.

i know use a magnet tank bag, just cover the whole tank in insulating tape.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
I have used a tank bag on a consistant basis and have not had a problem but I also put a layer of slip-stop between the bag and the tank. It's an open weave rubber coated product that can be had at Lowes or any good wood working shop. You lay it down on you work bench then lay your work piece on top of it to keep it from sliding around while working or sanding it. The fact that it is open weave keeps it from trapping water and it has a very soft surface.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Luggage Locker

I have a tank bag from Luggage Locker. It mounts to a bayonet style mount that attaches to the fuel filler. Nothing touches the paint, plus it locks to the bike with a barrel style key.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Even if you do get a scratch, just get some 2000 grit sandpaper and wet sand it then machine buff it with some rubbing compound then wax. It'll make any scratched bike look like new as long as the scratches aren't to deep. I think you'll be fine

·
Administrator
12,557 Posts
...but doesn't that scratch you map pocket???!
I am careful where I set my bag and after more then 5 years of continuous use I haven't had any problem.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
Even if you do get a scratch, just get some 2000 grit sandpaper and wet sand it then machine buff it with some rubbing compound then wax. It'll make any scratched bike look like new as long as the scratches aren't to deep. I think you'll be fine
This works but I've found you have to be very, very carefull not to go through the clear coat. On the Ducs the clear is extreamly thin.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I know its a cheap hardware store remedy, but Ive been using a sheet of kitchen cabinet foam mesh cut to the shape of the underside of my Nelson Rigg magbag. It sticks pretty well to the underside of the bag and you just pull it off and shake it out to make sure there isnt any debris in it before you put it on the bike. Seems to work well for me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts