Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to get any feedback on SW Motech Evo bags. Trial, Sport or Daypack. If one fits a ST3 better than another. Any opinions are much appreciated. Had a 12L Cortech magnetic but, it has gone by the wayside so I'm look'n to replace it. Thanks.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have the Trial on an ST2 and it is impossible for riders of short arm to ride the bike properly. I’m 6’-4” and have no problem.

To make it fit better I did fabricate a plate to move the bag forward.

2002 Yamaha FZ1
1998 Ducati ST2 apocalypse edition

·
Registered
214 Posts
I’ve got a day pack on my ST3. I recently posted a pic with it installed in the Sport Touring Pictures folder pinned at the top. Mount the base with the bag all the way toward the front and it should be out of your way. Pricey but I love it

Scott L

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’ve got a day pack on my ST3. I recently posted a pic with it installed in the Sport Touring Pictures folder pinned at the top. Mount the base with the bag all the way toward the front and it should be out of your way. Pricey but I love it

Scott L

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks for sharing the photo info. The Daypack looks good on the ST. I'm wondering if it might be on the small size for multi day tours...?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it's not too much of a PITA, could you post a photo of it on the bike? It might be a bit large for me...don't know though. Any interference problems with the handle bar controls?

Thanks.

·
Registered
214 Posts
It is mounted on the bike through a gas tank mount ring. No interference issues. I think you could go one size up but I wouldn’t swear to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
479 Posts

And here’s the custom fabbed plate to move it forward.

2002 Yamaha FZ1

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks SO FUN and Scott L. Good to see the variations. Haven't pulled the trigger, yet.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
LGB, been meaning to reply but resizing a photo on my phone was not happening. Here are two photos of SW Motech bag on my '02 ST4s. I am very happy with the bag, outstanding quality. I purchased it through a friend in Germany a few years ago, Autumn of 2012. I purchased the Sport, i did add a bit of aluminum to the interior to stiffen it so that it absolutely does not touch the paint on my ST4s or my 998. The electrical connection and power to the bag is a nice bonus! The model I purchased I believe is now known as the EVO. My invoice shows:

BC.TRE.00.001.10000 QUICK-LOCK Elektrik Engage Sport 12/37 Stk. Tankrucksack. 12 V. 1200D Nylon. Schwarz. 15l-22l.
TRE.00.475.110 QUICK-LOCK Elektrik-Tankring 12/37 Stk. 5 Schrauben. YAMAHA/DUCATI.

The top clear thing is the tablet drybag for an iPad. Not vital but handy.
BC.TRS.00.151.10000 Tablet Drybag 12/37 Schwarz. TPU-Material.

The size of the Sport is great. Accommodates good amount of stuff in normal config and does not interfere with my arms or body position. I don't use the expanded mode. The side pouches are awesome. I have been very pleased with this and would absolutely buy it again!

Photo of interior of the bag showing the aluminum plate (w/ edges bent) that I added. The supplied plastic was not stiff enough to keep the front of the bag from resting on the tank when installed and lightly loaded. I added the SAE electrical connector for modularity.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Be careful how much weight you put in the tank bag......there is no support at the rear of the tank apart from the pivot-pin , which is why the bracket on the back of the tank splits at the welds !!!
regards Derek

·
Registered
479 Posts
Be careful how much weight you put in the tank bag......there is no support at the rear of the tank apart from the pivot-pin , which is why the bracket on the back of the tank splits at the welds !!!

regards Derek

Uh, unless you’re putting bricks in the tank bag, or sitting on the tank for trick riding I can’t imagine enough weight in any reasonably sized tank bag to cause the pivot bracket welds to crack. ???

2002 Yamaha FZ1

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the information, photos and warnings. Doubt if I'll be putting a good deal of weight in the bag. But I get your point ducatiderek. Weight plus vibration could lead to a possible weld crack.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts