Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to search but can find nothing except options to go lower... I am 6'4" with a 36" inseam, and I would love to get a seat that is higher for more legroom. It isn't unliveable, but it would be more comfortable if I didn't have to curl my legs up. When I bought the bike I was told by the stealership the DP race seat was higher, but when I looked into actually getting it (after buying the bike), I learned of course it is actually a tad bit lower. I don't want to lower stock pegs as they are already scraping despite dropping forks to max and raising the rear.

I assume there is no product available, but is it possible to get the stock seat padded firmly to get another 1 or 2" higher?

Ideally I would love to get a larger gas tank with the expansion raising the seat instead of displacing the airbox, but I know that probably isn't possible without a lot of $$$ to invest in molds... or is it?

Should I just suck it up and get a KTM instead?:p

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
you can always bungeecord a pillow on top of your seat...lol the only option for ya is alter your stock seat only prob with that is your handlebar height so you might have to invest in some bars or different risers as well.if you want a really nice seat for about $200 to 250 you can send you stocker to sargent and tell them what you want to alter like added foam to make taller they will be able to do whatever you want plus be way more comfortable.the only gas tank option is a ca cycleworks tank but you have to use pods which i think is better antways performance wise.this bike is not intended for a touring bike the 100 mile limit doesnt bother me.good luck

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just as I have to have all my seats shaved (since I am not 6'4"), perhaps you could have some material added by a local guy/shop.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I am 6'2" and the new Sargent seems slightly higher than the stock to me.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you can always bungeecord a pillow on top of your seat...lol the only option for ya is alter your stock seat only prob with that is your handlebar height so you might have to invest in some bars or different risers as well.
Nah, I race bicycles and am accustomed to spending 5 hours with an 8" drop from saddle to bars, so having a 6" rise instead of an 8" rise on the Hyper will be a non-issue.;)
if you want a really nice seat for about $200 to 250 you can send you stocker to sargent and tell them what you want to alter like added foam to make taller they will be able to do whatever you want plus be way more comfortable.
Hmmm, maybe I can buy someone's stock seat and have another seat for $300 total... I will contact Sargent.
the only gas tank option is a ca cycleworks tank but you have to use pods which i think is better antways performance wise.this bike is not intended for a touring bike the 100 mile limit doesnt bother me.good luck
Agreed... I don't like the CA tank because it is TOO BIG. I would like to have another 1-1.5 gallons to get up to the 150ish mile range, but 6.4 gallons doesn't make much sense unless you need to ride with your GS1200 buddies. Also from the dynos posted on here, it looks like the pods used on the CA kit actually cut some power as they are optimized for small size, not power increase as compared to something like the TPO Beast. I was just saying if there was a clean way to give that small bump in fuel capacity and raise the seat simultaneously it would be perfect, but I know there is little to no chance of something like that being developed.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just as I have to have all my seats shaved (since I am not 6'4"), perhaps you could have some material added by a local guy/shop.
What would I even look for? Upholstery shops? That kind of thing?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
when i do go for rides on my hyper that are unfamilar or longer distances i just bring a gallon container of gas in my backpack just in case.yea wasnt sure about what kind of pods were in the tank kit i have duc shop pods and when i dynoed bike before engine work i had a power commander,pods and stock ecu with full exhaust it put out almost 87hp at rear wheels.stock it put out about 76.8 hp at rear wheels.and last idid 100mm pistons,cams,porting,flywheel,and ecu and it ended up at 107 to 109 at rear wheels.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I am 6'2" and the new Sargent seems slightly higher than the stock to me.
+1. 6'2" as well and I definitely feel the Sargent is higher...but more-so that my ass doesnt sink into it like it did with the stock seat.

See if you can find someone near you with a Sargent and sit on it. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised.

Dana

·
Registered
548 Posts
What would I even look for? Upholstery shops? That kind of thing?
I believe Sargent does mods that you're looking for. Ask around, or do a search for seat mods, upholstery, etc.

You could also check the yellow pages, but I wouldnt chance spending $$ on someone not experienced on motorcycle seats. Sometimes i see ads on motorcycle mags too...like the last few pages.

Dana

·
Registered
132 Posts
It's VERY easy to peel back the stock seat covering and add some extra foam...

Pull out the all staples up to the two horns that drop down at the front of the seat. Peel the cover back. I modified my seat with foam from a Nordic Track exercise mat I got at Sears for $25. (That particular foam is very similar in density to the stock foam, but it seems to have more "spring" and resistance to bottoming out.) Cut a "guitar pick" shape to match the seating area, bevel the edges a little and stretch the cover back over everything and re-staple. (Use a power stapler or hand operated gun with 1/4" staples.)

The covering can stretch quite a bit, so you might be able to get two layers of the exercise mat foam in there, which would bring you up about 1.5 inches. Beveling the edges of the new foam on the BOTTOM edge will allow the new pad(s) to curve with the shape of the stock foam, and will hide any small imperfections in your cutting.

I'm 6'4" as well, but "only" have a 34" inseam. :rolleyes: The ducatidesigns adjustable pegs made a HUGE difference in my leg/knee comfort.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you want a seat that you will be 100$ happy with I would contact John Longo here in MD. I know lots of people that have used him and everyone says the same thing. He listens to what you want and gives it to you with exceptional quality. Sargent can do it but it will not be as nice. He will do anything from a race seat to a custom chopper seat.

www.johnlongo.net

1 - 11 of 11 Posts