Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

141 - 160 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
Agreed. But, I don't have that combo on hand currently. The chain will likely be done at year's end and (assuming I like the combination) I'll buy the 15/43 sprockets then.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
you might not get it tensioned if it was to suit 14/44?

the way you treat it has much more to do with how long it lasts than the 14/15 thing ime. some of the neglect i see is quite amazing.

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
In the intervening month since my last post about the loss of tach/power, I've replaced both the relays under the seat and the ignition relay under the left fairing. And, it suddenly sprang an oil leak from the drain plug.

800+ miles since I installed the new plug and crush washer and it hadn't even been damp. Went out to the garage one day and there's a small puddle on the floor. Cleaned the plug, engine, and floor completely clean, next day another small puddle. Drain oil, check plug surface, case surface, install another new crush washer, fill oil. Next day, the same damned thing. Order Dowty washers, drain oil, install plug with Dowty, fill. This morning, perfectly dry.

Off for a ride. Wasn't going too far as I had plans for the afternoon. About twenty miles in, I'm in my hometown (15 miles away from here), Fuel gauge says empty but, that can't be. Best be safe and check it. Shut off engine, open cap, a couple of gallons (plenty), try to restart, nothing. Cycle key and kill switch, nothing. A couple of times I could hear the sprag slipping and that was as close as I was getting to anything 'good'.

Text friend who lives literally two blocks away. He's home and can be there in a few. Phew! Take right side loose enough to get jumper cables where they need to be, let it charge for a few minutes. Cranks a little then not. Charge more. Finally, get it started so I rush to reattach the panels and don my kit. Pull on the last glove and it stalls. Won't turn over. Start the whole process again. Without success this time.

Drag the thing to his house, remove the panel, hook up to an old school charger and down a beer. After a half-hour and another beer, it starts. So, I pull the charger and check the voltage from the alternator with his meter only to find that THERE AIN'T NONE. Fack.

Shut off, reconnect charger, ponder my options over another beer. Decided that I could make it home with the battery charged to 13+ as it likely was only a bit over 12 (it's always been a little weak) when I left and my ride home would be far shorter than the distance I made in getting this far. Charged up, hurriedly installed panel and gear, started up and took the combined shortest/least amount of stoppages route home. Started raining and traffic started condensing so, I used, ahem, all available pavement to maintain forward progress. I only had to stop once in my 15-mile ride. Should normally take about 20 minutes but I did it in just over 12.

So, now to remove some panels (again), and dig into a new problem. Oil leak is again gone and the new well nuts and stainless screws I installed this week work well. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Guessing I ought to see more than 8 and a bit VAC coming out of the stator. Sigh........

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
While I search for replacement bits for the ST, I got the Monster out for the first time in about a year. W E I R D after so long out of its saddle.

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
I just finished up with my charging issue repairs last night. I had the bike started/running/charging/etc. Shut off and thought maybe I should spring for a new battery before I put the panels back on (again). Decided I wanted to ride and I'll install a new batt in the spring.

Try to start to make one last check of something (forgotten from pulling hair out). No start. No fuel. No LED self-check from the Power Commander. Tank cover off, tank up, airbox off, start tracing the wiring back looking for a loss of power. Now have the complete unit off the machine and hooked up to an adjustable power supply and still can't get it to power up through its harness. External battery port - works.

Reconnect all the original bits and the bike fires right up. So, I guess there's one less PCIII USB in the world. Wondering how it's going to run 'stock'.

:|

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
I just finished up with my charging issue repairs last night. I had the bike started/running/charging/etc. Shut off and thought maybe I should spring for a new battery before I put the panels back on (again). Decided I wanted to ride and I'll install a new batt in the spring.

About an hour ago I try to start to make one last check of something (forgotten from pulling hair out). No start. No fuel. No LED self-check from the Power Commander. Tank cover off, tank up, airbox off, start tracing the wiring back looking for a loss of power. Now have the complete unit off the machine and hooked up to an adjustable power supply and still can't get it to power up through its harness. External battery port - works.

Reconnect all the original bits and the bike fires right up. So, I guess there's one less PCIII USB in the world. Wondering how it's going to run 'stock'.

:|

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Hate to hear you are still having issues with this machine. One of these days, I may get back to checking on mine, but by then, it's going to need a LOT of work. It hasn't even been started in over 5 years. :oops::cry:

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
So, the riding season ended, the bike put up, and I was still dealing with the same intermittent issue. I've done 'everything' to trace, remedy it. So, I broke down a couple weeks ago and bought a 'new' ECU.

I had my son swap it (reference to another thread about someone's daughter helping), transferring the EPROM. We just started it and ran it up to temp, letting the fan go through several cycles, before shutting it off. Nice to hear that sound again.

This exercise obviously doesn't prove anything more than the ECU is 'good enough' to let the engine start/run for a spell. The proof will come when the weather stays nice and the roads get rinsed for multiple proper long rides.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
it's a real pity you got such a shitbox. generally they're reliable except for the few bad ones. no consolation for you. the other side of it is that once you've fixed everything it should be good for another 50k or so. some gets the shits so comprehensively though with all the fixing that they sell it after all the agro gets sorted, and someone else gets a fixed one.

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
The charging issues are sorted. Nicely, I should say.

The intermittent cutting out, I still had. It runs really well 99% of the time. I love it. I have not been left stranded because of that. Once was my idiocy when I didn't safety wire the fuel hoses in the tank like I meant to do and I 'ran out of gas'. The second time was the battery being exhausted when the regulator died. Regulator is done and works properly. Fuel lines properly anchored as well.

But, I am still not completely trusting it to make long rides outside about a 20 mile radius. That's the main bummer. I've been further out at times without a problem. It's great. I've have it act up just a block from home. So, as much as I'd like to ride it down to Columbus, for example, to visit friends on a grand day, I don't fancy a 125 mile tow bill.

I do still need to get a new battery as the current one is loathe to hold a charge for long. Next month. After that, I'll put the mirrors back on and start to ride it to work as much as possible and see where I get.

Not calling it just yet!

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
New battery installed. Some wires moved. Bodywork and mirrors hung again. Tire pressures set. Just need the weather to show favor on me tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
Try for a ride tomorrow. 32 degrees max today - just not feeling it. :(

·
Administrator
12,234 Posts
Even electric gear would not convince me that is a fun temp to ride in.

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
Still only low 40s but, I put my big boy pants on (and sweatshirt and lined jacket and long balaclava and wool socks) and put over 60 miles it. Just got back and toes and fingers are near frozen.

But, it was nice to be out and, the machine ran great. I tried everything I could think of that seemed to coincide with the problem in the past. Nothing. Here's to hoping the replacement ECU was THE thing.

Maybe ride to work Wednesday.

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
Yes but, I'm one of the lucky (or unlucky depending on how any particular day goes) ones that is 'essential' to my employer's essential business. Packaging for food and medical (not packING such).

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #159 (Edited)
Raining this morning so I had to wait until this afternoon for the ride. Another 45 miles, same 'regimen' as last ride. Other than the idle being a tad low and some 'fluffiness' just cracking the throttle from idle, it's running really well. Fingers will remained crossed.

Not supposed to be cold or rainy tomorrow morn so, I'll try again for the work ride.

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
15/44 an improvement in top gear (no apparent downside at in-town speeds). About 4700 rpm @ 70 mph. I'll run with it for a while but, I think I'm headed to 14/40.

Likely going the next step, to 14/40, this weekend. Rode to work this morning. Took the long way home. I'm ready to experiment again with gearing while there's still life in the current chain.

141 - 160 of 180 Posts