Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

121 - 140 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Been riding sporadically (between rain, rain, rain, and more rain). Finally rode to work today. Long way home, stopped at sister's to BS and let it heat soak. Ride home. All seems well. 'I think I'll roll the dice and put the fairing bottoms and dash surround pieces on. Go in the house to strip off the gear and grab a beer. Come out to the garage a half hour later to a small stream of liquid coming from the machine. Sigh...

Flashlight and mirror in hand, I can't quite see where it's coming from. So, back off with the left side. Again.

Teeniest, tiniest pinhole in the top of the top coolant hose.

Now for some shopping. Longer sigh..........

Reactions: scott

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Just got lucky and found a full set of Samcos for $114, shipped. Now to find a thermostat (may as well, while I'm this deep).

·
Registered
163 Posts
Teeniest, tiniest pinhole in the top of the top coolant hose.

Now for some shopping. Longer sigh..........
Near a clamp? I got the T-shirt on that one!

Take the time to clean the gunk out of the bottom of the coolant tank (make sure the bottom outlet and the little hose going to the radiator isn't plugged) and possibly the water pump housing.

·
Registered
163 Posts
unlucky. i find it amazing how few of the hoses on these things fail.
My 20-year-old hoses failed. Not in the blown apart way (on that I'll agree with you), but near the hose ends. I'm guessing, but it appeared that the inner liner failed first from clamping pressure or vibration on the spigot ends, the coolant made its way into the relatively porous middle layers. Result = seeping out the ends and corrosion on the fitting. YMMV

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
The only way to see the leak was with the system still complete with fluid in it. Squeezing on the hose, near the leak point, would result in a minute drop of fluid escaping and revealing the source point. Removed and dry, you'll never see it. Right where the tee and hose end meet. Hey, they're 21 years old. Bummed that I'm delayed in getting more riding in but, a fifth of a century.....

Attachments

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
cooling system all finished and bodywork back on. hopefully, 'for good'. knock wood, I haven't had another loss of power episode. I have found, however, that the engine doesn't much care for BP's 92 octane. Cheapo quick mart shit 87 octane? Runs like a champ. I hope to finally start putting some real mileage on the 'Evidence ST' now.

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Another 52 miles on the odo. no issues. Next order of business is to change sprockets. I like the acceleration it gives but, ffs, 70 mph is 5k rpm. I think I want something just a little less 'busy'.

Reactions: ncgt1000

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
rode to work three days in a row last week without issue (and more after-work rides). that's another 100+ miles. rode to work this morning and had another recurrence (single, second-long). engine cut out as I was looking toward the tach, which went dead, during that period. all other lights still on. all the dash lights, fuel gauge backlight, et. ride home? perfect. the search for normalcy continues.....

·
Registered
689 Posts
rode to work three days in a row last week without issue (and more after-work rides). that's another 100+ miles. rode to work this morning and had another recurrence (single, second-long). engine cut out as I was looking toward the tach, which went dead, during that period. all other lights still on. all the dash lights, fuel gauge backlight, et. ride home? perfect. the search for normalcy continues.....
When I first got my 2002 ST2, it would do that once in a while (the previous owner was also chasing that problem - he thought that it was the ignition switch), anyway I replaced the main yellow relay under the left side of the dash and have had no problems since then.

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
Another 52 miles on the odo. no issues. Next order of business is to change sprockets. I like the acceleration it gives but, ffs, 70 mph is 5k rpm. I think I want something just a little less 'busy'.
Interesting. My ST3 runs quite nice at 75 whilst showing something like 4.8K on the tach. I have to run it up to 85 if I click to 6th otherwise it's loafing at about 3.5K.

I'm thinking the bike still has its factory sprockets with a little over 13K on the odo and I tend to gravitate towards posts talking about going up or down a few teeth on the rear. What did you have and what's on it now??

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
When I first got my 2002 ST2, it would do that once in a while (the previous owner was also chasing that problem - he thought that it was the ignition switch), anyway I replaced the main yellow relay under the left side of the dash and have had no problems since then.
CPS is new. Relays are cheap enough to begin replacing methodically. Still have a small enough total outlay in this thing to keep working at it. CPU might be a bridge too far.

Interesting. My ST3 runs quite nice at 75 whilst showing something like 4.8K on the tach. I have to run it up to 85 if I click to 6th otherwise it's loafing at about 3.5K.

I'm thinking the bike still has its factory sprockets with a little over 13K on the odo and I tend to gravitate towards posts talking about going up or down a few teeth on the rear. What did you have and what's on it now??
It came to me with/still has 14/44. I think I still have a spare 15 I'm going to try and I pretty sure I have a spare 40 also. Some options.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
cooling system all finished and bodywork back on. hopefully, 'for good'. knock wood, I haven't had another loss of power episode. I have found, however, that the engine doesn't much care for BP's 92 octane. Cheapo quick mart shit 87 octane? Runs like a champ. I hope to finally start putting some real mileage on the 'Evidence ST' now.
When my wife and I lived in West Covina (just east of Los Angeles) there was an Exxon station nearby .. locally owned franchise. One day we saw a big "Exxon" truck/crane removing the Exxon signs and the Exxon branding from the pumps. There were also bright yellow signs attached to the pumps that read "This is not Exxon fuel".

That night on the local TV news we found out that the franchise owner had been diluting the gasoline in the large underground storage tanks with all sorts of "junk solvents" such as kerosene, turpentine, paint thinner, brake fluid, dirty engine oil from oil changes, and old gasoline that had been disposed of since it was "too old". Exxon learned of it when they did a random QC test on their storage tanks underground, and then placed an undercover employee in the station where it was discovered that the franchise owner was diluting the fuel.

Their first red flag was that the owner was apparently selling more gallons of gasoline per month than he was buying from Exxon. That violates the franchise contract (you cannot buy fuel from any other supplier other than Exxon as a franchise location). That spurred the QC test, and ultimately the undercover in house investigation.

There had also been numerous complaints filed from local consumers about poor performance after buying gas at that station, as well as foul smelling exhaust.

My point is that there may be a chance your local British Petroleum ("BP") station may be diluting their fuel stores with "junk solvents and old fuels".

Just sayin' .

·
Registered
'02 ST4S
1,399 Posts
I would see if you can borrow a spare,
known working ECU and give it a try.
I had a similar problem with my '98 ST2 10-12 yrs. ago. I would cut out intermittently. One time, while passing a car at 75-85mph, it cut out and almost spit me over the bars.
After testing the usual suspects a used ECU from Gothom Cycles solved the problem. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
Between the bikes, I have the following options for the final drive:

15/39 (2.60:1; stock)
15/40 (2.67:1)
14/39 (2.79:1)
14/40 (2.86:1)
15/44 (2.93:1)
14/44 (3.14:1; current)

Might try step one (15/44) tomorrow. Easiest, though small change. 2.86 is almost exactly half the difference between the current and stock arrangments and my gut tells me that what I'll like best. We'll see.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
i would by default run 15/43 on a 1.84 primary drive wide ratio gearbox model. i have some customers who run 14/43 to slow themselves down in our draconian speed enforcement state.

i think all our st2 were 15/42 std.

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
i would by default run 15/43 on a 1.84 primary drive wide ratio gearbox model. i have some customers who run 14/43 to slow themselves down in our draconian speed enforcement state.

i think all our st2 were 15/42 std.
Methinks you're right about the std gearing, now that you mention it. Just finished setting up the 15 front for the morning ride.

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
15/44 an improvement in top gear (no apparent downside at in-town speeds). About 4700 rpm @ 70 mph. I'll run with it for a while but, I think I'm headed to 14/40.

121 - 140 of 189 Posts