Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 185 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,915 Posts
Other than the known electrical (possible) charging gremlins in the early models with 2 phase generator, the ST2 is a gem of an engine, l prefer the 2 valves over the 996 engine.

Black is a great colour on a motorcycle, terrible on a car.

Craig

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Finally connected on the phone but the sound quality was shite. Still, I could hear mostly nothing or rattling. Combined with what he was describing, I'm fairly confident that the noise they're concerned with is our beloved normal clutch sound(s). He's supposed to get the titles (three bikes altogether) from the court this week. I'll go take a gander, and maybe a short ride, soon after.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The last couple weeks have been a cluster and I haven't been in contact with them since my last post. I'm going to do so in the next couple days and try to go have a look. We'll see where it goes.

Fill in your profile information, while I have your attention.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Reading between the lines, I'd say your interest is about 2% or possibly less. "Kicking the Tires" regarding a sacred topic on this particular board will condemn you to everlasting scorn and poor motorcycle reliability on long or short tirps!!!!!

Get and don't look back.

Steve, Savior of 2001 resurrected ST4 (winter project) and sold to a smiling buyer!

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
your shaming me hastened my contacting my friends. still no title (not surprised). should be this week.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
So, you don't NEED a title, if over 15 years young. You CAN register it in VT. You do not need to be a resident of VT.
Frequently Asked Questions | Department of Motor Vehicles
search for -- Do I have to be a Vermont resident in order to register a vehicle in Vermont?
(And you don't even need insurance up-front to get the green plate And then, in the future, the registration is transferable to your state.

I just did this for the gent that purchased a Moto Guzzi from me. He was from Switzerland.

I called the Montpelier DMV office and asked them in advance if:
All the paperwork was proper, could I drive to a southern branch DMV, pay the fees (sales tax + reg.), could I walk out of there the same day with a VT plate? The answer was yes. And I did it.

I did most of the paperwork I could on-line, then I filled out the reg. form there (it was a carbon-copy type form). Got another teller window, and things went smoothly.

You can also do it by US mail, but it takes about 4 weeks for them to mail U the green plate.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Title finally in their possession and I rode up and took a look/ride this evening. Whoever did the physical seizure of it broke the right mirror clean off and shattered the front fender. Front brake switch is missing but rear brake still lights the lamp. Ignition surround plastic is missing a small piece.

Starts/runs/rides well. No horrible sounds other than the clutch basket and/or plate tabs being roached. Newish Michelins, chain. Just under 20k miles. Looks nice enough but does have the odd scratch here and there. Replace the missing/broken bits, a good wash, flush/bleed the brakes and clutch, oil/filter, set the tire pressures, and check the voltage regulator and all the main connection, and I'd likely ride it to work the rest of the year without a worry. Over the winter, replace the clutch, fuel filter, etc.

Hmmmmm.....

·
Premium Member
3,984 Posts
I would offer on the low side only due to the odd year rectifier I think it has. For $2000-3000 you should be able to find a st2 from 99 on and they are great bikes with few issues. The 98 has a 1 year only charging system (rectifier/stator) , they are not bad but there are less options if you need one. On the up side the 98 did have fully adjustable forks that later models did not, similar valving to your monster (not superbike).

If the price is right and there is good indication that it was maintained I would happily take it, the st2 would be my #1 choice in the series due to easy/cheap maintenance.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I fixed the rectifier issue with a FH020AA mosfet kit: Home and by fixing or eliminating a bunch of burned up connections and by replacing the high current wires to battery and starter. All fluids are suspect and all fluid lines should be replaced and/or flushed. For sure get LT Snyder's book (desmotimes.com) on 2-valve desmo maintenance. Searching this forum for ST2 posts will yield a trove of information that is impossible to summarize here.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
taking a deeper look:

~ Fairing attachment is dumb. If one is honest, there is no other way to describe it. But, it is what it is.
~ Blown inline fuse in what could be a disconnect for a Battery Tender - likely someone trying to run heated garments or other. Will reposition plug end and reroute harness.
~ Battery tray bottom mount is broken and battery hangs toward the center (almost like it's meant to)..
~ Right lower panel has no factory part #. Guessing chinese. That's ok as it's got two long cracks that have been stop-drilled.
~ Alternator doesn't exceed 13V until past 3k revs. But, the 45 mile ride home did charge the (nearly flat) battery and it starts almost immediately at the moment.
~ Functional Power Commander!!! Harness also needs rerouted and box mounted somewhere it can be seen, at least.
~ Rear tire has poor man's Dyna beads in it (airsoft bb's). By the sounds of them, I'd guess about 3 lbs worth.
~ Air filter is essentially new.
~ Owner manual, tool bag, tools.
~ Newish external fuel lines.
~ Never knew the ST's side stand was such a pos. If I keep the bike long-term (likely), the auto-retract will be going away (not that that is the main problem). This thing makes disabling that function on my Monster seem completely pointless in comparison. Center stand rocks.
~ Hottest it got was 204 so I don't yet know if the fan(s?) work. Mostly ran between 175-190 (cool day and some rain on the ride home).
~ Michelin tires had me worried the day I test rode it. Very weird behaviour. Put it down to not riding anything with as triangular a profile in decades. Not to worry, front had only 14 psi in it and rear was 20ish. Stopped at first gas station a mile after getting bike and set them to 32/34 for the run home. Fine and dandy for now.
~ Haven't removed left side panel but I see what look like non-factory wires that run down toward where the stator wires exit the engine. That will have to wait until tomorrow to see up close.

Time a bourbon or three.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
If you decide to keep it for the long run, suggest:

1) Getting the newer 2004 on-up seat. Very comfy compared to the older style ('98 to 2003).
They just swap out easy.

2) Side stand from a 1999 or newer ST. Much better design (Straight, not dog-legged), easier to deploy, they are manually retractable. They have a switch to keep kill the engine if it's deployed, and you pop it into 1st gear... Suggest skipping the switch, then making a small sign for up near your gauges saying "SIDE STAND" to remind you.

3) Check the height of the rear wheel off-the-ground when on level concrete. Factory is adjusted maybe 1 to 1.5 inches of gap under the tire. We like to adjust the adj. ride-height link to allow the tire to just about contact the slab. Makes for a bit quicker steering. Note, you may have to remove the link rod to free it up with PB'Laster, and maybe heat.

·
Registered
163 Posts
All good advice so far.

The sidestand can also be normalized with a custom bolt doo-hickey found here: kstnsblt

Raising the rear ride height is highly recommended, but the downside is that it gives quite a big lean when using the sidestand. I haven't found an easy solution to this yet, but may try raising the fork tubes into the triple clamp, so the rear can sit lower again.

205 - 210F is about when the fan should kick on with the stock setup. There are two temp sensors, one for the display and one that ties into the ECU. Both are known to go bad with age, so cross check temps with an IR gun. IMO, this is too high anyway. Desmo Times sell a manual fan switch or you can rig your own. Flipping it on at ~180F will keep the temps down, even in hot weather stop and go.

After blowing one Ducati regulator/rectifier, I redid the wiring and connectors, but still had crappy voltage at low rpm and unsteady at high. The Yamaha mosfet regulator described above fixed that. Just for you a went out and checked: 14.1V @ 1,500 rpm, 14.2V @ 2,000 rpm and above. I installed it under the RHS chipmonk cheek piece where there's plenty of room and better airflow. So sick was I of dealing the lousy over-hot stock regulator, I doubled down and even mounted a little cooling fan to guarantee airflow for the new one.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Removed the rest of the bodywork.

~ Found few more mounting points that need repaired in some way or another.
~ Voltage regulator is stock (see photo). Wires have been spliced/modified/repaired.
~ Rear tire touches already when on center stand and I noticed the other day that it leans a fair bit on the side stand. riding it, it turns in easier than any other Ducati I've ridden. Seems to confirm the raised rear idea. But, so would the Michelins compared to the Avons, Bridgestones, Pirellis, and Dunlops I've had. I like it the way it is so I'll take some measurements to see what I have.
~ Haven't found the wires that would go to the front brake switch. This is one of my priorities as I rarely use the rear and don't want to have to remember to use it so the brake light comes on.
~ Flushed/bled brakes and clutch. Clutch bleed screw was clogged (no cap). Evoluzione slave is nice bonus. Cleaned the master lids/diaphragms/screws while I was at it. Swabbed out the coffins with Qtips before flushing. Not terrible but, some gunk down there.
~ Pulled clutch cover for a look see. More than a little extra clearance between the basket and plate tabs (thus the extra noise) but, not as bad as I thought. Leaving alone.
~ Brake pads are near new. Calipers fairly clean as well.
~ One broken anchor stud (pair of them at the bottom of each) for the panniers. I'll likely just make suitable replacements in the lathe that use a through bolt. Broken bit is well stuck. Will have to drill out for a start.
~ All fuses and relays have been removed/disconnected, sprayed with contact cleaner and their terminals treated with grease (DeoxIT in both cases). Battery/ground connections will get the same. It turns over well enough that I'm not going to do the mains cable swap like I did with the Monster. That worked fabulously but, I don't want to spend the time (me making them) or the money (kit) on this bike.
~ Can't set the clock. The button, she no work.
~ Powdered graphite in all the locks - much better.
~ Break Free'd all rod ends/spherical bearings.
~ What alternative front fenders have you all fitted?
~ Not one piece of plastic has a part number one it. All aftermarket/chinese? If yes, who makes the stuff. Might be easier/faster to buy new (if I knew where to get it from)?
~ What alternative mirrors does everyone have? Left one is still serviceable but its stalk 'faring' is also slightly broken. Right one is all gone safe for its base.
~ Rear fender eliminators/replacements?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Like most Ducati's, if you don't know the service history, getting up to snuff can cost you in the neighborhood of $1500 at the shop; belts, valves, oil + filter, air filter, fluids, plugs. Maybe chain + sprockets and/or new rubber depending on age and miles. Fork fluid, as well.

The bigger issue, of course is that it's not red >:)
No shop work for me. All my own. I've had exactly one service/repair done by a dealer in my 23 years of Ducati ownership (first valve check on the SP3, 23 years ago). Bartman included an oil filter and crush washers with the free mufflers and seat I 'bought' from him a while back. Thank you, sir!

As for the 'red' thing, this is my 5th Ducati. All different colors. SP3 is proper red, Monza is a dark metallic red (maroonish) and silver, the M900 is metaliic blue (City model), the M750 was painted a horrible flame job, and now we have black. My daughter wants it 'purple with blue and gold sparkles'.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Ha. I kid about the color, of course. I just picked up a used Mutli GT in dark gray, which I've grown to like better than red -at least on that bike.

I love reading these rescue and revival threads. Great that you can do all your own work. Don't forget to check the engine mounts and studs if you haven't already. You may have already encountered the bolt-horror thread.

Battery boxes are all over e-bay for cheap. Ones off the newer ST's have an extra mount point for a clamp for the smaller AGM batteries. But zip ties work just fine, too.

Desmotimes has an ST-specific fender eliminator for the rear. Don't know about the front or the plastics in general. The best upgrade I did for my '99 was replacing the old rubber brake/clutch lines with braided lines from Spiegler. Huge improvement in braking.

21 - 40 of 185 Posts